Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wreck of Douglas village

Options
  • 05-01-2010 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

The idea that a shopping center should become the center and focal point of what once was a village, and then a suburban village, would seem to run contrary to any good planning by our city & county managers. One has to wonder how the permissions are granted to allow these to go ahead. The traffic mayhem and complete lack of any amenities for locals (young and old) that followed the completion of the Douglas Village Shopping Center is just unacceptable.

It to late to change this now, but the sooner that we can have meaningful local representation in all area of city & county management in Cork the better. The time has past where the wealth creation interests, of commercial property developers, and investment "managers", takes precedence over how we live our lives, needs to end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

If anything the construction of the new shopping center alleviated the traffic congestion as a new road was built which filtered alot of traffic coming from the Grange/Donnybrook area out of Douglas.

IMO planning for traffic couldnt have been better now that the new center is built

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Hogzy wrote: »
    If anything the construction of the new shopping center alleviated the traffic congestion as a new road was built which filtered alot of traffic coming from the Grange/Donnybrook area out of Douglas.

IMO planning for traffic couldnt have been better now that the new center is built

do you use this route every morning during rush hour and school drop offs? I do and while I see your point to a degree there are still long delays purely down to volume (suppose that can't be solved easily) and unfair time allocation of the lights at that junction with Tesco corner (at the south Douglas rd).

It's a typical case of modern sprawl in Ireland today, small villages like Douglas are bursting at the seams due to housing, school demands etc...we've heard it all before but hard to find a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I´d love to know whose brilliant idea it was to narrow the street and have a pedestrian area that nobody uses jutting out into the road opposite Topaz....

For years Douglas has been visited mainly for the two shopping centres, for the majority of visitors to the village that's the reason for going there. Admittedly the new Tesco set up is an eyesore but what was there previously was no oil painting either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

i think on the whole the new traffic measure are good. however i have a major gripe with the total lack of parking... bar the mulit storey of course, which isnt always the option you want when ur running into the video store or to the optician to collect glasses. BIG plaza built for sunny climes , no parking for rainy climate !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i dont think the new centre looks attractive, but building the new road beside it was a great idea,it used to take ages to get through douglas from the douglas road direction but its much quicker now,

what causes mayhem in douglas is the school run in the morning,the traffic has been a lot lighter since just before xmas but by the end of the week it will be back to normal!

although in this weather there isnt much alternative,poor kids would freeze!

Advertisement