Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manual set up of e-mail on E72

• 05-01-2010 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi,

I have set up two email accounts manually on my Nokia E72. I want to avoid using the Nokia Messaging service, as it requires you to use your phone network when accessing your email.

One account is for an ireland.com email while the second is for a Portuguese pop account. I am having trouble with the Portuguese account. The settings I used are the same as in my Outlook set up.

I am able to connect to the account. I have also been able to send and receive emails from the account but when I disconnect, all data appears to vanish, with no sent, outbox or drafts folders showing. When I send another email and the above folders reappear, they include the older test emails I sent during set up.

I'm looking for any ideas as to what may be causing this behaviour. I hope the above description is not too confusing.

Alternatively, if anyone has any advice for setting up email accounts while avoiding the (Nokia) requirement of using the phone network, that would also be very welcome.

I will be grateful for any advise/help on this issue.

Thanks,

Michael
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You can use nokia messaging thru wifi, you just have to go to options and change the settings.

You could also try using another email app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Set up a new account. BUT FIRST set the phone to 'offline'. The messaging app will attempt to retrieve settings for your new account but, obviously, it'll fail. Then you should be able to enter settings manually. That always worked on e71 etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Beagslife

I discovered what was causing the problem. Because my second account was POP3, once my pc was connected it would download the emails from the server. Once the phone connected it had nothing to see.

Only workaround for me is to leave Outlook in offline mode while I am away from the pc. That way, I will get any new emails, at least until Outlook is back online.

Main drawback is that once Outlook is online and phone inbox is empty, I don't have access to the phones sent, draft or outbox folders.

I welcome any suggestions for how I might resolve this issue.

Thanks again.

Michael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Beagslife wrote: »
    I discovered what was causing the problem. Because my second account was POP3, once my pc was connected it would download the emails from the server. Once the phone connected it had nothing to see.

Only workaround for me is to leave Outlook in offline mode while I am away from the pc. That way, I will get any new emails, at least until Outlook is back online.

Main drawback is that once Outlook is online and phone inbox is empty, I don't have access to the phones sent, draft or outbox folders.

I welcome any suggestions for how I might resolve this issue.

Thanks again.

Michael

There's an option in Outlook that allows a copy of your mail to be left on the server so that you're able to use more than one email client and not have what's currently happening to you occur.

If you're using Outlook 2003, you can find the solution here; scroll down towards the end of the page and select "POP3 e-mail accounts". Don't worry if you're using another version of Outlook, as the method is very similar in Outlook 2002, 2007 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Beagslife

Thanks Rsaeire,

The email provider in question only allows a small quota of mail on the server. I had considered their IMAP settings as a solution but I would have run into problems down the line. However the option of storing copies for a limited time period should serve my purposes pretty well. If nothing else, I should always have some emails in the phone inbox and as a result constant access to the sent/drafts/outbox folders.

I still need to implement it but I'm confident that should do the trick.

Thanks again.

Michael

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Beagslife wrote: »
    Thanks Rsaeire,

The email provider in question only allows a small quota of mail on the server. I had considered their IMAP settings as a solution but I would have run into problems down the line. However the option of storing copies for a limited time period should serve my purposes pretty well. If nothing else, I should always have some emails in the phone inbox and as a result constant access to the sent/drafts/outbox folders.

I still need to implement it but I'm confident that should do the trick.

Thanks again.

Michael

No problem, glad I could help. ;)

Advertisement