Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

So, who has had enough of this cold snap?

• 05-01-2010 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭

Not me, yet. Cold is uncomfortable at times and I am finding myself forking out more and more of my measly income on fuel to keep the house warm. Generally I love cold weather when it is dry/or snowy, but I hate this in between crap currently, with light rain or slushy snow at best.

Anyway, is there anybody out there who is really getting fed up with this relentless cold?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Me, I'm sick to death of not being able to run on my normal routes because they are covered in ice and snow. Bugger off, cold weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I don't mind cold but the ice can fork right off

It's all down to luck when trying to drive in these conditions, even when you're taking ample care the slips do happen, and god help you if a person/car is in the wrong place at the wrong time :(

Also my taps froze so I for one would love to be on the other side of this weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Have to keep heater on all the time now, surely using alot of electricity, out of oil and oil person wont come due to ice, and our pipes just froze today and the light just went off about an hour ago, that might be all the lights or just the bulb gone, I don't know, but yes, I am very very sick of this weather.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I was sick of it DAYS ago but this place has been filled up with muppets for the past fortnight and there is no telling them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

to be honest if this cold spell, before its end, does not deliver a widespread and heavy snowfall, with decent accumulations ensuing, then from my perspective it will have been a waste of time. i like cold and dry weather but it's extremely irritating when it's very cold- yet consistently conditions go the wrong side of marginal for widespread snowfall. last tuesday night into wednesday was the most vexing example of this. that could have been an epic heavy snowfall with significant accumulations on low ground over a 12-24 hour period but of course air temps stayed that little bit too high:mad:

even now as i type this there is no fresh lieing snow yet from a day i thought would deliver 3-5 cm of accumulations. yet again it looks like another letdown before the window of opportunity is directed to the east and southeast tomorrow afternoon.

while this cold spell has been remarkable in terms of its duration, and to a lesser extent given the low temperatures, it may well end up that i'll see less snowfall from this than i have in winters where it was predominantly mild through out save for a few days in February. this is not the way it should be in a classic winter.

i think it's safe to assume that for those who experienced the snowy periods of 82, 87 and 63 this has been a non event in that regard so far. so to answer your question; yes i'm getting cheesed off with this cold spell.

of course if i wake up tomorrow to 3 inches of lieing snow you can disregard this post:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i'm sick of the cold :(
    i dont think my house has been proper hot for weeks. more bloody coal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I was sick of it DAYS ago but this place has been filled up with muppets for the past fortnight and there is no telling them :(

In this miserable country, with it's miserable government, miserable recession and generally just miserable times - let us have something to smile about, even if it is just a few flakes of snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

me im sick of it. due a baby in a few days and we have been stuck for ages. live on top of a hill which is thick with ice so im afraid that even an ambulance wont be able to get here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

lolli wrote: »
    me im sick of it. due a baby in a few days and we have been stuck for ages. live on top of a hill which is thick with ice so im afraid that even an ambulance wont be able to get here.

jesus! perfect really... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheCelticWizard

Sick to the teeth of it. The roads are really becoming impassable everywhere now it's a complete pain. For the first week it was a novelty but it's fast turning into an emergency now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Love this weather, love walking in it, love the sensation of breathing cold dry air. :)

The state of the roads is crazy though. So I sympathise with anyone stuck up a mountain or something, living in a city centre makes life much simpler in these kinds of conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bishopofn

So, who has had enough of this cold snap?

Cold snap

I've heard it described like that lots of times over the past weeks, both in da meedja and in person

IMHO A Cold snap is a couple of days of Cold...

This weather has been happening since before Christmas

Can anyone think of another way to describe it?

ps I would enjoy it if my commute time wasn't doubled

-bishopofn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I like a few days of snow but anything more than that is just really annoying..we've had snow consistently on the ground for nearly 3 weeks now, our water has been disrupted all week and I've nearly broke both my arm and knee through seperate bad falls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Cold spell maybe.
    I am sick to bloody death of it. Luckily filled oil tank before xmas. I love a few frosty cold days or a couple of snow days. Enough though we are in our third week heading to fourth week of this cold now. Some mild wet weather would be appreciated now :-)

Road conditions arent really affecting me only that I cant visit family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well, you know my thoughts.

BUT many of you totally mistake my words.

When I describe,, that is not a complaint; simply a description. Get it?

As the various exploration people describe their condtions so do I

If it were you writing? Maybe then a moan.

But not me; simply recording.

As I did say very fully; I am fine now but others are not. And I cannot get out to help anyone else.

My work needs isolation and peace and beauty.

And by the way; there is a ceiling on rent allowance hre in Ireland which ensures that the old and disabled live often in houses others would not live in. E85 a week.

BUT Ireland is as one Dutch man of my acquaintance says,in many ways a third world country.

In Scotland there is more provision and also more social awareness.

And many of us do not have the means or money to have the means or money to heat as it is needed just now. Period.

Rather than making impractical suggestions eg move? I mean really!

People die of hypothermia in towns too; no different to a mountain. Probably more so if they are all electric.

Here I am multi-fuelled so that is not an issue....No hassle when the power goes; but that is something I have learned in nearly 4 decades of isolated living.

But always we have been and have had good neighbours and good provision.

Yes; get the army out. To clear the roads and bring provisions in. We don;t want evacuation!

Where to?

Just a little help; which I have thankfully been given.

Donegal Mountain Rescue have been helping very remote areas; but here does not qualify as the roads are passable.

We have been good neighbours all our lives... And it amazes thus.

And yes I love walking in cold air on crunchy snow with the dogs; BUT always aware of the dangers to the more vulnerable.

That was the drift of my post.

No one is an island.

Interesting some of the misinterpretations.

ANYWAYS; we are a day nearer spring and there is a different taste and feel in the air now.

This will soon end. ALLELUIA.

Snow freaks, enjoy the last days.. the dying throes...

And consider MOVING to a country where there is guaranteed snow.. :);)

Now that would be a really good idea

Here? More snow showers overnight. It is a part of life up here now; no hassle, just normal now and integrated.

What a wonderful post!! Thank you!
    Sponge Bob wrote: »

lolli' please take care. You should be enjoying these last days; does your doctor know your situation?
    lolli wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Not me, yet. Cold is uncomfortable at times and I am finding myself forking out more and more of my measly income on fuel to keep the house warm. Generally I love cold weather when it is dry/or snowy, but I hate this in between crap currently, with light rain or slushy snow at best.

Anyway, is there anybody out there who is really getting fed up with this relentless cold?

Me!

Hate winter with a passion. Watching the cricket from Sydney then Cape Town isnt making it easier!

It is because of all these miserable things that this is such a danger.

IF ireland were well equipped? Most countries would have had the army out weeks ago ensuring clear roads etc

Could use a food parcel of luxuries myself!!:D

And a nice strong man to clear the drive and road..:P

But no grit, no water? etc etc etc.
    Nehaxak wrote: »
    In this miserable country, with it's miserable government, miserable recession and generally just miserable times - let us have something to smile about, even if it is just a few flakes of snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Not me , this is winter should be like , its life , its nature , the fact that we cant cope in this weather shows us that our world of automobiles and what not dont belong here!

Hope this cold snap lasts till May!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I had enough as it only brings hardship.

Water pipes are frozen for some of the cattle, milking machine was frozen, water into our house was frozen on Saturday but after hours of boiling water, it eventually came.
    It is affecting my work. There is the dangers of falls, can't use the road as it has been covered in ice since Saturday with snow on it and it is a steep road, only one car attempted to come up yesterday and needed help to get back off it.

Then working with water, breaking ice for water for the cattle, you can't really wear gloves as they just get wet and the pain of the cold can get severe....then run back indoors for some warm water....

If you don't have to work out in it or live with the consequences of it then it seems alright.
    People who are looking for epic snowfalls are people who will not suffer from the hardship it brings.

I hope for an early spring starting early March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Min wrote: »
    I hope for an early spring starting early March.

Im still waiting for last summer! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Pretty sick of it myself. I don't mind looking at snow but once I need to walk/drive somewhere, I want it and the ice gone and everything to be clear.

Unfortunately it looks like we're stuck with the cold weather until the weekend at least. No-one seems to know when it will get a bit milder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Graces7 wrote: »
    lolli' please take care. You should be enjoying these last days; does your doctor know your situation?

Yeah I have an appointment thursday but dont think i'll be able to make it. Just my luck!!! I suppose best bet is an ambulance if anything stirs!

Going to ring the council see if they can grit one of the three hills!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I am and the reason, while most of the country got some snow, we here in tropical Waterford got none, so roll on the mild and wet weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Pangea wrote: »
    Not me , this is winter should be like , its life , its nature , the fact that we cant cope in this weather shows us that our world of automobiles and what not dont belong here!

That has nothing to do with it, it's simply because in others counties, such as those in eastern Europe, they know they will get heavy snow falls for a long period every winter and are therefore prepared for it. Authorities have all the equipment required and ready and motorists have winter tyres and other equipment.

I'd like to see you go to a store in Siberia during an unusual heat wave and buy sun creams, paddling pools, buckets and spades and an ice cream cone.

What utter rubbish, young man...

Would love to see you face to face with "nature" in the raw.
    You would last an hour or less.

Technology saves live in this.

Ah well, sometimes I see your posts and think of the words in "Alice"; YOU know, the ones about sneezing.

:D

Pangea wrote: »

Hope this cold snap lasts till May!!!!!

Nice one!!;):D
    Jip wrote: »
    That has nothing to do with it, it's simply because in others counties, such as those in eastern Europe, they know they will get heavy snow falls for a long period every winter and are therefore prepared for it. Authorities have all the equipment required and ready and motorists have winter tyres and other equipment.

I'd like to see you go to a store in Siberia during an unusual heat wave and buy sun creams, paddling pools, buckets and spades and an ice cream cone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

This "snap" turned into a "spell" at least 2 weeks ago and I'm wondering about changing "cold" to "freeze"
    In fact I'm wondering is it getting too long to be a "spell"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

of course if i wake up tomorrow to 3 inches of lieing snow you can disregard this post:pac:
    I guess we need to disregard this now :)

Advertisement