Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, who has had enough of this cold snap?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

I dont mind the snow and cold so much prefer it to rain any day but jesus my nerves are gone driving around on the skating rinks that are the roads the last week!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Mothman wrote: »
    This "snap" turned into a "spell" at least 2 weeks ago and I'm wondering about changing "cold" to "freeze"
    In fact I'm wondering is it getting too long to be a "spell"?

So it is a "freeze spell" then? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Breaktown

The cold doesn't bother me, but I'm sick of the ice. I was hanging on to a lamp post for dear life a few days ago when the foothpath turned into an ice rink. I don't know how I didn't fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

SNAP???????????????????????????

Down here we have'nt had any snow for which I'm glad the relentless cold is not making me happy, though thankfully its bright and sunny most days which helps.

Whats bugging me is that there really seems to be no end in sight. Everytime I check the wetterzentrale site the cold stretches right as far as the charts dare look.

edit - I just checked, there is some hope that it'll be over in 10 days or so. But it could change again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

mike65 wrote: »

edit - I just checked, there is some hope that it'll be over in 10 days or so. But it could change again :(
    I see you're in ramping mode:pac:

The likely scenario will be wet and windy muck with little sunshine. It'll make ground awful but roads will be ice free.....a lot of ice to cross inder bridge in mean time though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Jip wrote: »
    That has nothing to do with it, it's simply because in others counties, such as those in eastern Europe, they know they will get heavy snow falls for a long period every winter and are therefore prepared for it. Authorities have all the equipment required and ready and motorists have winter tyres and other equipment.

I'd like to see you go to a store in Siberia during an unusual heat wave and buy sun creams, paddling pools, buckets and spades and an ice cream cone.
    Well it obviously is something to do with it , Our cars cant cope on the roads in these conditons without bringing in grit, therefore our cars are not meant to be in the roads in the first place on this earth, I understand you and nice comparison with siberia but im trying to explain things in the greater view of the history of mankind! :)

Graces7 wrote: »

Ah well, sometimes I see your posts and think of the words in "Alice"; YOU know, the ones about sneezing.
    Not really i have no idea what you are talking about.

If you dont like the snow then why are you on a forum with so many snow enthusiasts during this coldspell , every minute the moderators constantly post charts hoping for snow, Log off and go somewhere else for god sake.
    I am quitting here because I cannot endure to read more of this.
    It is because of a post like this that I am quitting boards.

REALLY!

REALLY ??? We are Still waiting ..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Now, let me see, I have a choice here............... mild or cold?
    first of all there was was the incessant rain and mud of a mild and dark November and now I'm looking out at a snow covered back garden in dazzling sunshine and blue sky.
    I've made my choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What a rude young man you are!

REALLY!

Personal abuse now?

And are you a moderator now too? To order folk around?

Quite uncalled for.

Because I did not agree with you?

Blasphemous language too.

Now; does the "ignore" list button really work? Bye pangeal!

Pangea wrote: »
    Well it obviously is something to do with it , Our cars cant cope on the roads in these conditons without bringing in grit, therefore our cars are not meant to be in the roads in the first place on this earth, I understand you and nice comparison with siberia but im trying to explain things in the greater view of the history of mankind! :)

Not really i have no idea what you are talking about.

If you dont like the snow then why are you on a forum with so many snow enthusiasts during this coldspell , every minute the moderators constantly post charts hoping for snow, Log off and go somewhere else for god sake.

REALLY ??? We are Still waiting ..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Folks - if you have an issue with a post, please report it. DO NOT clutter up the thread with your opinions on other posters. If you want to ignore someone - ignore them. If you want to leave - leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It should be noted - weather forum

Not snow forum :D

I had enough as its just slippy, snow on top of ice, just dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

I LOVE this cold snap.

We have no choice in the weather we receive so we might as well embrace it. and enjoy it... it is Mother Nature in all her majestic glory.

When you consider it objectively the cold snap has many benefits:

1. We're not seeing the major flooding that mild and rainy weather could have brought to people already afflicted by recent floods.

2. It kills off the bugs (and rats) and is better for nature than the unseasonal mild winter cycle we have had for over a decade.

3. It kills off swine flu and prevents people intermingling as much - as they stay indoors - spreading it.

4. I can leave me beers outside without having to clog up my alrady well-stocked beer fridge... and in doing so save electricty.

Embrace the weather and respect it - as human beings have done for thousands of years - cause we can't change it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Jip wrote: »
    That has nothing to do with it, it's simply because in others counties, such as those in eastern Europe, they know they will get heavy snow falls for a long period every winter and are therefore prepared for it. Authorities have all the equipment required and ready and motorists have winter tyres and other equipment.

I'd like to see you go to a store in Siberia during an unusual heat wave and buy sun creams, paddling pools, buckets and spades and an ice cream cone.

Hey I was in Siberia the summer before last and they have temperatures up to 32 degrees. It was unbearably hot! Believe it or not. There are beaches around Lake Baikal and all the Russians go there sunbathing on their summer holidays :p

As for this cold spell - I don't mind snow or cold but the ice is the worst. I'm afraid to take my car or bike out. The pavements are all icy so I haven't done much walking or exercise and I feel crap after the over indulgence at Christmas - like its all just sitting on me and I can't do anything about it.

It was really sunny today in Dublin so hopefully tomorrow we'll be back to normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

It's the ice rinks on every untreated road and footpath that's the problem. Has anybody tried buying salt the past couple of days? the shelves are bare in every supermarket, they even took the dishwasher salt :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Mothman wrote: »
    This "snap" turned into a "spell" at least 2 weeks ago and I'm wondering about changing "cold" to "freeze"
    In fact I'm wondering is it getting too long to be a "spell"?
    So it is a "freeze spell" then? :D

Yes I am also wondering what to call this also. A freezing spell might be grammatically better than a freeze spell !!!!! :p:p Still doesn't sound right.

We should set up a poll - or nominations for ideas on what to call it.

I suggest 'The Bloody Annoying Cold Snap That Has Turned into a Spell and is Rapidly turning into a Very Long Freezing Three Going into Four Weeks'. A bit long though for a name :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

snow ghost wrote: »

1. We're not seeing the major flooding that mild and rainy weather could have brought to people already afflicted by recent floods.

I was thinking about this earlier, while the lack of rain is welcome will it come back to bite us in the ass later this year? If this should persist for weeks to come when the Atlantic should be dumping lots of water on us then we get a decent summer* will we end up with shortages come the late summer/autumn?

* as payback for winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

mike65 wrote: »
    I was thinking about this earlier, while the lack of rain is welcome will it come back to bite us in the ass later this year? If this should persist for weeks to come when the Atlantic should be dumping lots of water on us then we get a decent summer* will we end up with shortages come the late summer/autumn?

* as payback for winter

If Ireland ends up with water shortages, I suggest the government give the Aussies a phone call and asks to borrow some. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

On Prime Time, between 1,500 and 2,000 people die every winter due to cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

I'm firmly in the 'some snow nice, hate the goddamn ice' camp. It'd be fine if the snow didn't turn to ice after about five minutes flat and turn the place into an ice rink. At least you can get some traction on fresh snow...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 the fella who

No, im not, I love it..Anyone know where you can buy sledges/sleighs, love to get some for my kids and myself......All the kids on the BBC news have them:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stevieboy87

Let it snow let it snow let it snow...........:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Crashed my car today, but what the hell, bring it on :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I don't think I'm the only person who's starting to get a bit pissed off looking out the window at the frozen landscape.
    Usually I think it's quite a nice change to see a bit of snow for a day or two, but this current situation is a lot different to the norm.
    To think that people are hoping for more snow and an extended period of freezing weather. These people must have no live's to live. As I said, a bit of snow is nice, what we have now is a serious problem and one that looks set to continue for as far as any forecasters are willing to mention.
    Simple tasks are major problems in this weather, social events are knocked on the head. There's not even any bloody football to watch on the telly.
    I live in Dublin, and it's a pain in the hole for me putting up with this weather, I can only imagine what it's like for vunerable people in isolated area's, it must be hell, and then you see the clowns "hoping and praying for lovely snow" on here, it boggle's the mind.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I love the snow but I'd also like to be able to play golf and now the local driving range is also closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Winger_PL wrote: »
    Crashed my car today, but what the hell, bring it on :cool:
    True snow soldier :pac:

skwehe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Joe Public wrote: »
    I love the snow but I'd also like to be able to play golf and now the local driving range is also closed.

These type of things really get to me.
    My gym is closed and my astro league games will all be cancelled for the forseeable future. Roll on the thaw.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

So sick of this weather, the ice outside is about 1/2 inch (sorry not metric) thick and I haven't been out for over a week, beginning to get cabin fever. At least I can slip & slid to my local shop, its the people who can't get out that I feel so sorry for. I will never complain about rain again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Driving range near me is also closed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

fecking roads - fecking weather. prob wont be able to drive to the dublin tomorrow and dont fancy coming home sunday in a blizzard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I love this kind of proper winter weather normally but it's outstaying its welcome now. I wouldn't mind so much if I lived in a city but the nearest town is five miles and the roads are a challenge so yep, I've had enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Every trip in the car is becoming a massive effort, the stress of always being at a cat like readiness is tiring. My usual 15min drive to work is now about 45mins (work nights so I go against the flow of traffic).

Got stuck on some ice coming out of my development, 15mins trying move 2feet. I managed to keep a cool head but it was a real test of patience.

C'mon the mild weather.

Advertisement