Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Model Outlook Thread: January 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

jambofc wrote: »
    lol,defo need to get one of them.

hill of ward is 9 miles to the north of me only 390ft high and hill of tara 9 miles east of me at 590ft,surely they would be to low to really impact snowfall considering the amount of rain that falls in this area?
    sea level maybe,but a lot of other places at sea level saw snow out of some of these system's.
    ta for the input :)

In a case where there is wind driven snow, snow will not settle as much on the leeward side of your house as much as on the side of your house facing the wind. The same effect can be applied to a 590ft hill close to you, although as you say nine miles is quite a distance away. Would be interesting to see what the experts say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

jambofc wrote: »
    lol,defo need to get one of them.

hill of ward is 9 miles to the north of me only 390ft high and hill of tara 9 miles east of me at 590ft,surely they would be to low to really impact snowfall considering the amount of rain that falls in this area?
    sea level maybe,but a lot of other places at sea level saw snow out of some of these system's.
    ta for the input :)

Like yourself, I am on the central plain with no with little or no high ground within my horizon. Snow as a result always stuggles to fall here, but I have to say, despite the severity of the recent cold, I have seen much greater snowfalls and snow depth in other less cold winters than this one. Frost certainly was the big story here during this spell, and while snow did fall on many days, it was light and often wet which is no use to anyone really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Any else notice that the 06Z GFS wants to introduce the cold/snow risk again about this time next week?

It will probably be gone on the 12Z run. We'll, we will find out soon. :pac:

Any else notice that the 06Z GFS wants to introduce the cold/snow risk again about this time next week?

It will probably be gone on the 12Z run. We'll, we will find out soon. :pac:
    yes maq. Building from scandanavia again

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    yes maq. Building from scandanavia again

GFS 12z rolling out soon, will be interesting to see if a trend is emerging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

The crucial element to this possible evolution is the presence of a very strong Siberian High - which is itself originated from the various blocking that we saw to our variable North over the past several weeks.

The key to this evolution is the stalling of a deep upper trough over the Atlantic, allowing a renewed phase of Warm Air Advection, this time Northeastwards.

This is somewhat similar to the evolution that occured into December & the one which resulted in our first real cold outbreak of the winter season. The alignment is not due North this time around, but with the SH to our Northeast, this makes a link up much more possible.

There are also increasing signs of a warming at the 30mb Level, which would correlate with these medium term synoptics. Perhaps NWP Guidance is being a bit too progressive at the moment in bringing in the evolution a little early but has the overall largescale idea correct?

SA :)

GEM, ECM and JMA models all agree on the idea of cold uppers (850Hpa) attempting to push over Ireland from the NE at +144.
    EXAMPLE
    http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gem/run/gem-1-12.png

12Z GFS rolling out. -10 850 temps coming near the UK with high pressure drifting off to the NW as early as next Tuesday. Hmmm. Wonder what the rest of the run will be like...

12Z GFS rolling out. -10 850 temps coming near the UK with high pressure drifting off to the NW as early as next Tuesday. Hmmm. Wonder what the rest of the run will be like...

Indeed Maq,

The most striking point is that even by T+144 the evolution is set in place.

Very interesting indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Looks like GFS 12z continues with the same theme in FI.

Opr

• Advertisement

Yep, could be looking at snow showers as early as Tuesday night if this run came off.

I dunno if I want the cold back so soon! :pac:

By the looks of things, it is a very gradual process according to the GFS.

What is most noticeable is the warming of near Polar Regions caused by the easterly high pressure squeezing warmer air masses north of us. Wonder what effect would that have on our weather.
    http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100113/12/159/h850t850eu.png

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Indeed Maq,

The most striking point is that even by T+144 the evolution is set in place.

Very interesting indeed.

102455.png

opr wrote: »
    Looks like GFS 12z continues with the same theme in FI.

Opr

It sure does & the UKMO @ T+144 is not terribly dissimilar either, with a slight Easterly flow into the UK at this time. Notice how between T+120 & T+144 also on the UKMO 12Z Evolution that the cold upper trough does not advance very far westwards at all.

This is what we need to see to support the evolution towards a reneewed Easterly flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

Could there be a lovely formation of a Azores HP - Russian Hp bridge? Anyway I feel that after a brief easterly this cold will plunge into Southern Europe, the High Pressure isn't far enough West and the Atlantic streaming back in is quite a high possibility!

seems to breakdown somewhat at 192+ but if those easterlies are in place like the show for the previous 36 hrs then there is every chance that the 192+ scenario will not be the case.

t+300 is very interesting
    h850t850eu.png

Meh, not great in FI but that'll change anyway. Most interesting stuff starts around 144 which isn't too far away.

ECM should be interesting later!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    seems to breakdown somewhat at 192+ but if those easterlies are in place like the show for the previous 36 hrs then there is every chance that the 192+ scenario will not be the case.

Thats the thing with situations like this. The models just don't have a grip on it yet. If you think back a couple of days, we were seeing atlantic dominated weather out to the end of both GFS and ECM.

Its just going to be subtle changes over the next few runs, and i would not be surprised to see the models dismiss the idea altogether at some stage during those runs. But the trend is there. Thats the important thing at this stage.

ECM not so keen in this run to bring the block influence over Ireland, at least up to mid week next:

102473.gif

Deeper lows in the western Atlantic in this run also.

Yeah, not a very interesting ECM output...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

ECM really sucks tonight with nothing remotley interesting for this part of the world FTFF:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

lol

Look at the 18z GFS at 144hrs

ECM was a very mild Ensemble btw.

Rtavn1441.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We are reaching the pinnacle of this wintertime in the next week or two. In my opinion, if we get an Atlantic influence breaking through properly over the next week, it'll be hard to shift for a few weeks, and may mark the end of any further really cold plunges.

while we may not be able to get the depth of cold in two-three weeks that we can get now, it's far more likely, should we get another cold incursion in Feburary, that the marginal situations we faced in this past spell would work in our favour with the colder sea temperatures. so, in conclusion, i'll take less cold and more snow overall for many, rather than what we've had; very cold conditions, but with snowfall not as plentiful as it could have been.

ECM not so keen in this run to bring the block influence over Ireland, at least up to mid week next:

102473.gif

Deeper lows in the western Atlantic in this run also.

unfortunately this would tally with what M.T. Cranium was saying. anyway you'll win either way:)- because either we get a renewed cold incursion or we get a storm to finish off January. if the latter happens i think it's definitely game over for sustained cold from the east. still, i'd be shocked if we didn't get a brief northerly airflow for a day or two, in a renewed atlantic flow, at some point during February.

you'll win either way:)- because either we get a renewed cold incursion or we get a storm to finish off January. if the latter happens i think it's definitely game over for sustained cold from the east.

This morning's ECM shows just how uncertain the outlook is really for next week:

102541.gif

The building high over Europe (on that chart it builds up to 1065mb!) extends its influence just a little further east. Still does not reach Ireland though but at this stage it is hard to say that it won't or will. The block remains pretty strong throughout the run over eastern Europe. Whether or not it does effect Ireland is really up in the air at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Guys can I ask a question on these charts ?

I am presuming that the wind speed from the North East - East would be caused by the high pressure system over scandinavia and the low pressure system below us ?

This morning's ECM shows just how uncertain the outlook is really for next week:

102541.gif

The building high over Europe (on that chart it builds up to 1065mb!) extends its influence just a little further east. Still does not reach Ireland though but at this stage it is hard to say that it won't or will. The block remains pretty strong throughout the run over eastern Europe. Whether or not it does effect Ireland is really up in the air at the moment.

well the fact pressure reaches that high and still doesn't quite make it to us says it all. i now see why mt cranium is so confident of a storm to see out in january. Even a system of modest low pressure value would perhaps be enough to exert the Atlantic's influence once more

by the way out of curiousity what has been the highest high pressure reading ever recorded?

anyway, i hope all this negativity comes back to bite me in the ass by late next week:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Think i remember a high of 1085 being recorded in Mongolia about 10 years.

Have to go deep out into FI to find any snow potential, but the 12Z GFS delivers at 240 hours :p with this :

gfs-0-240.png?12

gfs-1-240.png?12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Have to go deep out into FI to find any snow potential, but the 12Z GFS delivers at 240 hours :p with this :

nailed on dead cert so :p

Advertisement