Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Model Outlook Thread: January 2010

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im not sure what to expect anymore, even if we get another cold beast from the east, doesnt mean people in Louth and Meath will see much snow, I did not realise till this time around that the Isle of Man could be such a snowkiller for Meath. We need easterly winds that form showers for us in line from below Isle of Man to North Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gonzo wrote: »
    im not sure what to expect anymore, even if we get another cold beast from the east, doesnt mean people in Louth and Meath will see much snow, I did not realise till this time around that the Isle of Man could be such a snowkiller for Meath. We need easterly winds that form showers for us in line from below Isle of Man to North Wales.

It all depends on the exact flow!

you would win on a straight Easterly or ESE.

You just got unlucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

ECMWF showing something a bit more interesting tonight:

103033.gif

Almost 1947 esque! :eek:

It all depends on the exact flow!

you would win on a straight Easterly or ESE.

You just got unlucky.
    Whereas I'd want a ENE or NE :pac:

I'm not liking the look of those charts general direction as I've to fly into and out of gatwick at the end of the month ...an airport that almost closes with frost these days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Mmmm, is this starting to look like a return to Easterly winds come the end of the month ?

• Advertisement

Baby steps...
    But yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

06Z GFS 180hrs :

gfs-1-180.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

06Z GFS 180hrs :

gfs-1-180.png?6
    A long way off as you know, I don't want the cold to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Even in the GFS there's not much ensemble support for another proper cold spell

MS_-753_ens.png

Going to jump all over the place in the next few runs I'd imagine before any clear trend emerges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Model performance is expected to be poor over the next week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Kippure wrote: »
    Model performance is expected to be poor over the next week or so.

Can I ask why?

The weather set up is peculiar.It doesn't fit the usual parameters so all models when they get to a picture more than 3 or 4 days out are struggling and painting unreliable pictures.
    So making a statement based on scatter in a gfs ensemble means nothing.

Thats probably what kippure meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

The UKMO is promising colder conditions for the end of January in their forecast with outbreaks of Rain Sleet and Snow. So it certainly wont be mild but the beast from the East may not return to such an extent it was here before either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

The weather set up is peculiar.It doesn't fit the usual parameters

That was seen many times during the recent cold spell. Its as if the models have a bias towards atlantic dominated weather patterns for Ireland, and when something out of the norm shows up, such as a cold Easterly flow, it adds a bit of confusion to the picture.

Its just takes a few days to get a handle on things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Rougies wrote: »
    Can I ask why?

Each model atm is pridicting a some what differant outcome. It always happens when theres a change on the horizion. Ive been following a winter forecast on netweather with great interest, BFTP and rogers. (I,m sort of using there forecast as the control run for this winter).

At the moment the models should be picking up on a peak energy period from the 25th to 31st, stormy weather, But we,re not there just yet.

The gfs is showing a easterly with cold cold weather returning. What we want to see is at least 3 of the main models agreeing on what happens next roughly.

Also see BLack Briar and duiske posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

gfs-0-174.png?12

There could be a hugh scandi high developing in the near future but the angle is not great then it sinks.

Bit too far out but could be a good trend forming.

Kippure wrote: »
    Each model atm is pridicting a some what differant outcome. It always happens when theres a change on the horizion. Ive been following a winter forecast on netweather with great interest, BFTP and rogers. (I,m sort of using there forecast as the control run for this winter).

At the moment the models should be picking up on a peak energy period from the 25th to 31st, stormy weather, But we,re not there just yet.

The gfs is showing a easterly with cold cold weather returning. What we want to see is at least 3 of the main models agreeing on what happens next roughly.

Also see BLack Briar and duiske posts.
    Gem and ukmo are trending towards very cold easterlies.
    The high is not far north enough though.
    You'd have very low dewpoints but pressure too high at 1030mb for much precipitation.
    Cue the ecm later.

All a tad too far out to prick more than a passing interest so far.
    Theres no doubt there'll be many minor or major changes all of which might maintain cold but change the detail of a forecast greatly.

As I said Baby steps.

Would someone be so kind as to post up the ECM for me when it's out [DE maybe?].

Post up a few of them from say +96 right out to +144 and beyond if you can as I'll be on mobile internet and it will be handy not to have to look them up-cheers :)

As it stands we are looking potentially at a slack flow which means sub -10c night time minima will be back next week to finish the job on our roads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

another Easterly progged for next week, almost certain to happen but with a slightly different wind Direction from our last North Easterly, talk of it being dry though are premature, we saw what happened during the last cold spell with pressure remaining high over the country but with showers coming in off the Irish Sea. I'd say Dew points could be even colder this time with the air coming from a very cold continent from Wednesday onwards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I will put up the ECM charts as they come out from 96hrs in a about a half hour or so.

• Advertisement

Would someone be so kind as to post up the ECM for me when it's out [DE maybe?].

DM2 has offered to do a running analysis on the ECM. Something to wet your appetite in the meantime from the UKMO:

103148.gif

Does not look particularly cold though, average to slightly below at best with the chance of a lot of st cu cloud. But personally I like it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

DM2 has offered to do a running analysis on the ECM. Something to wet your appetite in the meantime from the UKMO:

103148.gif

Does not look particularly cold though, average to slightly below at best with the chance of a lot of st cu cloud. But personally I like it! :)

You'd be wrong there about the coldness, some serious cold banked to the east of England ready to move in.

Ahead of it the cold lower dewpoints would have arrived and it would feel bitter, already subzero maxima in britain.

However this is all fictional.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Yes indeed it certainly is looking very interesting once again..

Notably, there are several developments at the 30mb level at the moment. The 30mb temperature has warmed in recent days, the latest update of the graph showing more significant warming with a vertically rising temperature trend in evidence. The warming may not be categorised as a Major Midwinter Warming, but it may just be enough to maintain a general displacement of the Polar Vortex & not allow it to become too organised. The overriding medium term NAO signal at the moment is neutral to very slightly positive.

30mb Temperature Graph

pole30_nh.gif

The Arctic Oscillation in particular is about to return to negative territory again & could well reach a steady value of -3 in the coming medium term.

At the moment the very interesting developments are at Day 6 & Beyond. There is certainly the potential and risk for renewed frosts developing during the weekend & into Early next week. Regarding the threat of more sustained wintry conditions, we will need to see a gradual dilution & removal of the somewhat milder 850mb temperatures that are currently being suggested on available Medium Term Guidance.

We are some distance yet from any certainty regarding a renewed Easterly outbreak, but the overall trend is there in the medium term for a return of colder, potentially even increasingly colder conditions as we enter the final third of January.

It is also likely that any evolution towards an Easterly outbreak will involve renewed Warm Air Advection from the Azores region into higher latitudes as a response to the NAO signal, combined with a Westward movement of the area of High Pressure that has been stationed over Siberia for the past 5 - 7 Days, to form a largescale blocking High North or Northeast of the UK & Ireland.

SA :)

ECM 120hrs

Recm1201.gif

Exceptionally cold to the East but the cold air remains in the North Sea at that stage.

You'd be wrong there about the coldness, some serious cold banked to the east of England ready to move in.

Ahead of it the cold lower dewpoints would have arrived and it would feel bitter, already subzero maxima in britain.

However this is all fictional.

That is true WC, but my concern was not about the temps in the UK, but here. That chart posted would suggest very near or slightly cooler than average at best due to cloud amounts.

ECM gives some frosty nights but not a whole lot else.

ECM1-168.GIF?19-0

FWIW I think it is overdoing the height increases from the South way too much.

As noted above, not a very interesting ECM run tonight. Average temps, with little sign of anything interesting weatherwise:

103149.gif
    I would gladly sacrifice any hope of cold weather at this stage for something much more active. This winter has been very calm and very dry so far. Bring on the screaming Atlantic fronts I say, I have had enough of these doldrums.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

don't be ridiculous paddy1;) if there is no sign of a storm on the horizion what's the point of atlantic activity again?;) anyway it looks like what patneve said several days ago about the azore high merging with the high to the east maybe about to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

7 day wind outlook attached.

http://magicseaweed.com/msw-surf-charts2.php?chart=1&res=750&type=wind&starttime=

Getting interesting again.

• Advertisement

A chart from back in the days when we used to get something called weather:

Rrea00119900129.gif
    January 1990 started out something similar as to what is being experienced right now. Colish type weather with occasional weak fronts skirting up along a big East Europe block. Later in the month, a more vigorous pattern began to become established and by Feb, gales and storms became frequent, intense and often very destructive. I vaguely recall one particularly stormy night from this period when we with no electricity as as violent gale, with hail and thunder roared outside.

Those were the days....:)

Advertisement