Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nutsy to the Arabs!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Unusual to see Nutsy considering a runner when his exorbitant team budget is cut.

Who'd have thought it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Shock horror Nutsy bankrupts up another team then runs off to Scotland where I'm positive he will be a failure, just as he was a up in Derry.

Nutsy could take a player or two with him if this is true? Could be a disaster for Bohs with Deegan and Murphy gone already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shock horror Nutsy bankrupts up another team then runs off to Scotland where I'm positive he will be a failure, just as he was a up in Derry.

Nutsy didn't bankrupt Bohs, they were well down that line before he went there.

Also, I don't really buy into the theory that he bankrupted Shels either, tbh.

A manager goes to the board, asks for money, and is given it to spend. He spent what he was told we could afford, that isn't his fault.

Now, I do think he is a chequebook manager who wants to spend money to get the best players, but I also think he does well in team building and the players play for him.

I don't know how much money he'll have at Dundee United, but it's good to see a good, young Irish manager heading on to bigger things.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

But wasn't Fenlon adamant that his future was with Bohs a few weeks ago?

Surely he wouldn't jump ship..

• Advertisement

Before the Dundee United job came available I'd imagine.

It's a step up for him, no doubt about that. He's won everything he can possibly win in Ireland, and I'm sure he's just about had his fill of employers on shaky financial ground.

Fact remains that he won leagues with easily the best squad(s) in the country.

Be interesting to see if he can do well in Scotland though. Wonder would he be on 300k like the outgoing manager? Surely he can't be getting that in D7?

It's obvious he wants to finish up with us eventually, if he'll be let. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

But what would be a small budget in regards Dundee United? He could probably bring over a good few LOI players in regards to keeping to the small budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Would be a great move for him if it happened coz the eircom league is going down the toilet with the big clubs on the verge of going out of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I wouldn't worry too much. Roddy will be on the look out for a new job in a couple of weeks, perfect replacement. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

BERBA wrote: »
    Would be a great move for him if it happened coz the eircom league is going down the toilet with the big clubs on the verge of going out of business.

The Eircom league is now called the League of Ireland and has been for at least a year, and I think the league has just about held its head above water and just may see out this recession, I just hope that clubs learn their lesson and cut their cloth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Go'way and support Man Utd.

Fact is he won the league how many times? Sean Connor couldn't win the league with the best squad in the country so it goes to show that is does indeed take SOME talent.

Even Brian Clough had a bad spell at Brighton ffs.

Go'way and support Man Utd.

Fact is he won the league how many times? Sean Connor couldn't win the league with the best squad in the country so it goes to show that is does indeed take SOME talent.

Even Brian Clough had a bad spell at Brighton ffs.

i support spurs ...better watchin them than watchin LOI ( Although some might argue on that!:D)

what happened him at Derry?...they had a great squad when he was in charge?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It is a huge step up so can't blame him, be a huge blow to us though

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Any news on his replacement? Is it too late for Roddy to go there? I'm sure my fellow City supporters would be 'gutted' if he were to go already!

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Any news on his replacement? Is it too late for Roddy to go there? I'm sure my fellow City supporters would be 'gutted' if he were to go already!
    Only speculation, he hasn't gone yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

i support spurs ...better watchin them than watchin LOI ( Although some might argue on that!:D)

I certainly would.

What happened to Michael O'Neill has he rejected the job? I don't think his heart was ever in the Derry job, but he took it anyway which I don't like at all. Tbh I can't see Fenlon doing any good in Scotland. He'll definately take a few LOI players over if he can, especially with most of them out of contract atm.

fh041205 wrote: »
    I certainly would.

What happened to Michael O'Neill has he rejected the job? I don't think his heart was ever in the Derry job, but he took it anyway which I don't like at all. Tbh I can't see Fenlon doing any good in Scotland. He'll definately take a few LOI players over if he can, especially with most of them out of contract atm.

If he gets it then it will be exactly the same as when roddy was at carlisle , half the team will be irish !. Rangers beat Dundee Utd last week 7-1 so they no great shakes. IMO might be a slight step up alright but not much. think bohs current squad would give them a run and in any game they played against each other.

AFAIR Carlisle were in the 3rd division at the time. Dundee utd would have considerably higher aspirations I would expect.

Actually you just reminded me that Dundee Utd played a friendly against us in the summer. They actually looked pretty damn good. Certainly looked like they could polish off any LOI side. They had about 3 pure class midfielders. One in particular, who just ran the whole game with ease. It would be hard to see any LOI player make a significant improvement on the team I saw.

I know I've just contradicted my last post but I only remebered it there.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Rangers beat Dundee Utd last week 7-1 so they no great shakes. IMO might be a slight step up alright but not much. think bohs current squad would give them a run and in any game they played against each other.

lol, one result is what you base your opinions on?

The pressure on the next Utd manager after Levein will be huge, especially considering that they have struggled since he left.
    Theyre sitting fourth in the league, picking up 4 points from Celtic this season and drawing their only game against Hibs at Easter Rd.

Its a big step up in terms of Club, League and Pressure when you consider the whole package.

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »
    lol, one result is what you base your opinions on?

In fairness, its a pretty horrific result for a team that would have been aiming to challenge for a european position.

In fairness, its a pretty horrific result for a team that would have been aiming to challenge for a european position.

Its a horrific result, not denying that. But you cant base an opinion as to wether they are a good side or not when you consider the fact that the manager who has turned them into a solid and exciting young team had just walked out on them.

Couple that with the fact that Rangers had suddenly hit the best form ive seen them in for a couple of seasons at least and it becomes a disaster for Utd.

Kenny thought he was making the step up when he left a very good derry side to go manage premier league side dunfermline and look what happened there!

Dunfermline , dundee united look it doesnt matter. All clubs in scotland a million miles behind 2 poor sides in celtic and rangers in a bad league.

Kenny thought he was making the step up when he left a very good derry side to go manage premier league side dunfermline and look what happened there!
    Dunfermline, when Kenny took over where a poor SPL side.
    Dunfermline, when Kenny was sacked a year later they were a poor 1st division side.

Maybe he just wasnt good enough?
    Dunfermline , dundee united look it doesnt matter. All clubs in scotland a million miles behind 2 poor sides in celtic and rangers in a bad league.

Yet still a step up from the LOI (in my opinion of course)...and thats the whole point of the discussion.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Dunfermline, when Kenny took over where a poor SPL side.
    Dunfermline, when Kenny was sacked a year later they were a poor 1st division side.

Maybe he just wasnt good enough?

And two years later Dunfermline are still a poor first division side, maybe they just are just not good enough! Jim McIntyre has had much longer to turn things around than Stephen Kenny was afforded.

And Nutsy while having a great record in the league went 9 games without a win up in Derry, good managers can have lean spells like players!

I think it is a great move for Pat and hope he goes for it and does well!

And what happened the last time Spurs came to Dublin, they got beat 3-1 by a Bohs team that only had three days of pre-season under their belt, I was on the bench that night

(I know Spurs have been to Dublin since but I meant to play a match not to go on the piss)

And what happened the last time Spurs came to Dublin, they got beat 3-1 by a Bohs team that only had three days of pre-season under their belt, I was on the bench that night

(I know Spurs have been to Dublin since but I meant to play a match not to go on the piss)

U leave in their goal that night by any chance?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I hope Pat gets it, best of luck to him! Doolin for the Bohs job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Lollymcd wrote: »

if fenlon goes i really hope bohs look to bring in someone else that hasnt been floating around the league for years. i dont like doolin as a manager and would hate to see him at bohs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I certainly would.

M'ON was linked with the Hibs post as well. Seemingly his family is well settled here now and that the relocation to Ireland was as much for famil reasons as it was for footballing reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

What des said below:
    Des wrote: »
    Nutsy didn't bankrupt Bohs, they were well down that line before he went there.

Also, I don't really buy into the theory that he bankrupted Shels either, tbh.

A manager goes to the board, asks for money, and is given it to spend. He spent what he was told we could afford, that isn't his fault.

Now, I do think he is a chequebook manager who wants to spend money to get the best players, but I also think he does well in team building and the players play for him.

I don't know how much money he'll have at Dundee United, but it's good to see a good, young Irish manager heading on to bigger things.
    Blaming nutsie for leaving Bohs in a mess is almost as bad as Roddie blaming "overpaid players" for ruining cork. It's whoever hands out the contracts and gives the go ahead for signing players that's at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

major bill wrote: »
    if fenlon goes i really hope bohs look to bring in someone else that hasnt been floating around the league for years. i dont like doolin as a manager and would hate to see him at bohs.

You're right. He had city playing awful football this year and he never exactly endeared himself to the fans either.

I think fenlon has the potential to do well in scotland but i think he should bring on board an assistant who has knowledge of the scottish league. I'd say it's likely he'll try and bring a couple of LOI players with him if he goes as well.

major bill wrote: »
    i dont like doolin as a manager

Does anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Doolin is a secret punishment the FAI hand out to clubs that behaved badly financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Please let it be Roddy, please let it be Roddy, please let it be Roddy.

• Advertisement

It's a selfless if extreme act from Pat. Freeing up his wages in order to bring Bohs under the SCP by the end of January.

Please let it be Roddy, please let it be Roddy, please let it be Roddy.

ha dont be suprised if the lil unloyal fruitcake does throw his hat in for it:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Lollymcd wrote: »

Thats certainly the whisper....

I think Fenlon is a top drawer coach. His teams are fit, well drilled and organised. You never hear of dissent in the ranks. But he has behaved like a complete rat here - interviewing all over for jobs and making no secret of it while ostensabily under contract.

By the way, what a jokeshop B*hs are. Nutsy meets the Dundee Utd Chairman in Stanstead over the weekend and is offered a 2 year deal.

Monday the press report it.

Tuesday Gerry C is out saying no meeting happened as Fenlon is in Spain. No permission sought etc.

Arabs issue a statement saying that they have permission to speak to Fenlon.

B*hs then issue a statement indicating they have in fact given permission for talks and are seeking £250k compensation.

Either someone in Dalyer is lying, or yet again, one hand has no idea what the other one is up to. Either way its a masterclass in how not to run a football club.

Great move for Nutsy, great move for Dundee United, will goose B*hs big time. Happy days.

stovelid wrote: »
    It's a selfless if extreme act from Pat. Freeing up his wages in order to bring Bohs under the SCP by the end of January.

And bearing in mind that because of the embargo none of B*hs signings are worth the paper they are written on, don't be surprised if he snatches a free player or two.... :p

Under a transfer embargo they will struggle big time to replace him with a strong candidate and will have to settle for their second Rovers fan in a row with Doolin.

I can't stop smiling.

interviewing all over for jobs and making no secret of it while ostensabily under contract.
    By all over do you mean the one job he's been interviewed for?

Also, this would indicate that the interview has not gone ahead.
    Fenlon has apparently told his employers he would not contemplate any move unless Bohemians were happy. He has denied any meeting has taken place to date and suggested there is little point in proceeding with the matter himself until the two clubs have reached an agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Nah, Peterboro interviewed him aswell. Best of luck to him if he goes. Wouldn't mind Heary getting the job.

Peterboro, applied for the Rovers job and he was linked with a couple of Scottish jobs last year. Either way, Bohs didn't seem to object to this.
    Also, this would indicate that the interview has not gone ahead.

And Dundee Utd clearly state it has. Who are we to believe, Comical Gerry or the Arabs? ;)

And Dundee Utd clearly state it has. Who are we to believe, Comical Gerry or the Arabs? ;)

To be honest i wouldnt trust Thompson Jnr as far as i could throw him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/d/dundee_utd/8440296.stm

Done deal, Conway should ehh stop talking to people for a while.

Good luck to him, best manager over here by a mile.

Will Young said it best:

I think I'd better leave right now
    Before the ship sinks any deeper
    with my midfield and my keeper
    Gerry is going on hold
    when I hear the phone beeper

/sorry. Stuck in work with the weather

Looks like Bohs owe Fenlon money still, something about unpaid bonuses.

Interesting.

Des wrote: »
    Looks like Bohs owe Fenlon money still, something about unpaid bonuses.

Interesting.

Yet signing (and outbidding other clubs for) players when you haven't yet squared up what you owe to your own manager?

Nutsy has them over a barrel, I would assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Yet signing (and outbidding other clubs for) players when you haven't yet squared up what you owe to your own manager?

LOL at Cretaro.

afaik fenlon waved goodbye to those bonuses when he signed a new deal with bohs!!!

just what i heard so dont bite me head off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Why do they call him nutsy anyway?

• Advertisement
Advertisement