Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any sort of production gear I can buy

Options
  • 05-01-2010 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hey. My brother over christmas says he is interested in some music production /dj'ing or something. He is a very talented musician, so I dont think its necessarily that far fetched an idea. His birthday is coming up, is there any sort of equipment I could buy him, like a mixer, or decks or something. What do people recommend?

Thanks alot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Well for making music and performing live a lot of Djs use - http://www.ableton.com/suite-8

Something like that means he'd be able to get started - as long as he has a fairly ok computer.

It comes with a lot of things to get started and is well supported with tutorials and there are lots of 'fanboys' making videos on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

oxygen wrote: »
    Hey. My brother over christmas says he is interested in some music production /dj'ing or something. He is a very talented musician, so I dont think its necessarily that far fetched an idea. His birthday is coming up, is there any sort of equipment I could buy him, like a mixer, or decks or something. What do people recommend?

Thanks alot

does he have a laptop or a pc? and what instruments does he play? also what sort of a budget are we talking about?

sorry for bombarding you with all these questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

whiterob81 wrote: »
    does he have a laptop or a pc? and what instruments does he play? also what sort of a budget are we talking about?

sorry for bombarding you with all these questions

No problem with the bombarding. Yea, thats they issue I was kinda skirting around. He doesnt own a pc or laptop. And the budget is around €300-€400.

Is it a little hopeless without a decent pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

oxygen wrote: »
    No problem with the bombarding. Yea, thats they issue I was kinda skirting around. He doesnt own a pc or laptop. And the budget is around €300-€400.

Is it a little hopeless without a decent pc?

Not hopeless, but if it was really old/poor then something like ableton would be a bit pointless - so tell us the specs! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 legomonster

You could look at a groovebox like the roland mc808. They can be got for 400 or under. They are kind of jack of all trades studio in a box doohickies. Much more limited than a full featured computer based setup, but that's not a bad thing when you are starting out. And I know a couple of folk who would swear by them and never touch a computer. If you think your bro would put in the time to learn it could be an option..

• Advertisement
Advertisement