Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual carriageway from Shannon this morning

Options
  • 05-01-2010 10:49am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quite a few accidents there this morning, I got caught in a tail back from just after Setrights. Crawled all the way into Limerick City.

According to local radio, at least seven cars have been abandoned at the side of the road after accidents, but I only saw two.

4246897537_43c0c85c21_b.jpg

4247671966_974d9bea18_b.jpg

Don't worry about me taking the picture from the drivers side of the car. Traffic was stopped in each case, I swear!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I can guess the second car just slid and went up the bank.

The first pic though?? It's facing the traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Was heading ennis direction this mornin, and saw the one facing the opposite way. couldn't figure out how they managed it??

Very bad driving conditions this mornin, on untreated roads from what i saw...are they supposed to get a salt delivery today???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭ludwit

Anyone see the crash by McDonalds in the Crescent Shopping center?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Was talking to a Taxi Driver the other night who said he has had no major skids since the icy roads became an issue; He reckoned you have to just be very careful, watch for changes in the surface you're driving on with the extra consideration of invisible black ice and respond appropriately on loss of traction.

There's luck, there's bad luck and there's driving quickly enough and carelessly enough to spin your car backwards onto a bank in the worst driving conditions in 50 years - Try doing that where theres a Mother with a buggy and then ask why its just you when everyone else is actually on the road.

- I had some absolute Moron in a 4X4 speed up behind me and relentlessly tailgate me this morning on a sheet of ice. Only consolation is he/she is probably in a ditch somewhere now & hopefully didn't kill or injure any others in the process :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

ludwit wrote: »

Yeah the Hyundai accent. Straight over the kerb into the wall. They must have slid down the hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Does anyone know if this road is/has imroved any bit by now? I have to travel from Kilmallock to Galway later on this afternoon, am bricking it now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

the roads were dangerous. If I knew they were that bad. I would have stayed in bed. Grit the roads:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

buzz55 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this road is/has imroved any bit by now? I have to travel from Kilmallock to Galway later on this afternoon, am bricking it now :(

Not too sure about the condition of the road but if you are traveling just take everything smoothly. Be extra careful of the secondary roads (Kilmallock to Limerick city)
    • Accelerate and brake smoothly
    • Steer smoothly - no sharp movements
    • Just give yourself plenty of room between other vehicles and leave yourself loads of time for the journey

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Shannon to Raheen took me over an hour and a half this morning.

MarkR there were 3 cars at the location of your photos when I was passing at around 7.50am and two more at the Coonagh Roundabout.

There didn't seem to be any grit/salt on the section by the Radisson.

Squeeky bum time all the way to work.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Berty wrote: »
    Yeah the Hyundai accent. Straight over the kerb into the wall. They must have slid down the hill.

There was a truck failed to make that corner around the same time, stopped at the kerb though.
    Don't know if the Accent was down in that hollow at the time, but if it had been you'd have got some fright seeing a truck skidding down toward you!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Nice to see all the morons are back to work

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Drove Shannon to Ennis this morning and they were grand. As long as you take the advice of previous poster. Just dont go fast. Iv said all the time in this weather. the slower you are going the less damage you will cause. There are times when the ice may take control but id rather it take control at 20mph than 50+ mph..

On a side note. Roads were gritted last night from Shannon to Ennis around 9:30, but rain/sleet fell after that and froze on top of it. Was no sign of grit then this morning when most people were going to work.

Drive with caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

ok, hopefully if I take my time I will get there without any damage. Heard the Coonagh roundabout in Limerick also very bad this morning, any update on there at lunchtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

ok, hopefully if I take my time I will get there without any damage. Heard the Coonagh roundabout in Limerick also very bad this morning, any update on there at lunchtime?

The dual carriageway is closed between Limerick & Shannon, serious accident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    The dual carriageway is closed between Limerick & Shannon, serious accident

6 car collision at Bunratty according to www.aaroadwatch.ie

Hope nobody is hurt. May take a while longer to get home from work tonight.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

jackncoke wrote: »
    Nice to see all the morons are back to work

And posting on the internet

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Is aaroadwatch down for anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Itsdacraic wrote: »

I hope that wasnt directed towards at me as some form of personal abuse.
    Im off today and was working all over the Christmas period so surely It couldnt be.

Itsdacraic wrote: »

Care to elaborate? You seem to be implying through your quote that the previous poster is a moron.

Anyway, back on topic.

Clare - Gardai have cleared a 6 car collision from the N18 Shannon/Limerick Rd at Bunratty
    Updated: 05/01/2010 14:10:47
    All restrictions have been lifted. Black ice has been reported along this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Warning given to Itsdacraic for insulting other users.

• Advertisement

jackncoke wrote: »
    I hope that wasnt directed towards at me as some form of personal abuse.
    Im off today and was working all over the Christmas period so surely It couldnt be.

Sorry JnC it wasn't directed at you, I should have put a smiley after it or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

MarkR wrote: »
    Yup, haven't been able to open it any time I've tried today..

MarkR wrote: »

Ya it seems to have crashed

This afternoon's accident seems to have been cleared according to aa.
    One person has been rushed to hospital after a five-car pile-up on the main N18 Limerick to Ennis road.

The incident, which happened shortly before midday, has blocked the Ennis-bound lane of the dual carriageway near the Hurlers Cross exit.

Several units of the fire brigade along with ambulance services are at the scene and diversions are in place.

Drivers are asked to approach the area between Shannon and Bunratty with extreme caution due to icy conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Road has reopened.
    *CLARE/LIMERICK* Gardai have cleared a 6 car collision from the N18 Shannon/Limerick Rd at Bunratty. All restrictions have been lifted. Black ice has been reported along this route.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭4tothefloor

Raiser wrote: »
    Was talking to a Taxi Driver the other night who said he has had no major skids since the icy roads became an issue; He reckoned you have to just be very careful, watch for changes in the surface you're driving on with the extra consideration of invisible black ice and respond appropriately on loss of traction.

There's luck, there's bad luck and there's driving quickly enough and carelessly enough to spin your car backwards onto a bank in the worst driving conditions in 50 years - Try doing that where theres a Mother with a buggy and then ask why its just you when everyone else is actually on the road.
    Load of ****e that mate. I had a crash this morning on black ice, was exiting a housing estate, getting ready to stop and going well well below 20km. I slid for 50 yards out on to the main road and could do absolutely nothing about it, ran smack bang in to a passing vehicle. 20 mins later a second car almost hit the squad car which had arrived on the scene from the same exit on the same ice. Taxi drivers know it all of course but in truth know very little. And there's pretty much very little you can do once you skid on black ice, regardless of how fast or slow you are going.
    ludwit wrote: »
    There was a couple of crashes in the crescent today. One hyundai badly damaged and another one stuck down an embankment. There was also a third car taken away on a recovery truck outside Heatons but I didn't get to see if there was any damage to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Taxi drivers know it all of course but in truth know very little.

I have to agree 100% with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Load of ****e that mate. I had a crash this morning on black ice, was exiting a housing estate, getting ready to stop and going well well below 20km.
    how much well below? if your driving on proper black ice you genuinely have to go to almost walking speed so when you do skid there'll be no momentum.
    It all depends on the ice. I find seeing a 'sparkly' kind of road is easier than black ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

anyone know if they put grit down from limerick to shannon yet? i was off the last 2 days so ive no idea what to expect. If its still as bad as what people are saying, ill have to leave early early!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

wylo wrote: »
    anyone know if they put grit down from limerick to shannon yet? i was off the last 2 days so ive no idea what to expect. If its still as bad as what people are saying, ill have to leave early early!!

Assuming this info is accurate , it appears its been treated, but wet...

Advertisement