Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual carriageway from Shannon this morning

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

I didn't chance driving it today, figured after the 6 car pile up at lunchtime and the burst mains water pipe on the dock road that it would take me forever so didn't risk it.

Anyone know what time of the day/night the roads are gritted? Are they only done once a day, if even?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Load of ****e that mate. I had a crash this morning on black ice, was exiting a housing estate, getting ready to stop and going well well below 20km. I slid for 50 yards out on to the main road and could do absolutely nothing about it, ran smack bang in to a passing vehicle. 20 mins later a second car almost hit the squad car which had arrived on the scene from the same exit on the same ice. Taxi drivers know it all of course but in truth know very little. And there's pretty much very little you can do once you skid on black ice, regardless of how fast or slow you are going.

There was a couple of crashes in the crescent today. One hyundai badly damaged and another one stuck down an embankment. There was also a third car taken away on a recovery truck outside Heatons but I didn't get to see if there was any damage to it
    if you skidded that far its dvd to too much momentum. Ready to stop, and stopping are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Try to stay in a higher gear so as to reduce to torque, and also gently pump the brakes when you start to skid rather than just hold them. It goes against instinct to leave off the brake pedal when you can't stop but it does help to slow the car faster.
    If you drive a rear wheel drive car it might be worth putting something heavy in the boot while the cold spell is here, to push the driving wheels down and give more grip.

How is the road this morning folks? AA roadwatch website seems to be down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

travelled the road at 07:30 this morning, found it grand. Much improved from yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

buzz55 wrote: »
    How is the road this morning folks? AA roadwatch website seems to be down again.

Ironic that it keeps crashing

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'd no problems about the same time this morning. Then again, I'd no problem yesterday, so maybe I'm just lucky.

I did find that traffic was a lot reduced, I assume more people are staying home as a precaution.

Estates and secondary roads are where you'll have problems. Near UL was very icy yesterday. I had slippage going to the kilmurry rounadabout from plassey park road.

I also nearly got shunted outside the entrance to UL by a small van who managed to steer his slide away from my boot. Leave plenty of braking distance.

Thanks v much for the info, Boards.ie beats aaroadwatch hands down!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Check the link in Gyrzor's post above, it gives road and air temp and the status of the road. It covers about 50 locations nationwife, very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

Anyone know what time of the day/night the roads are gritted? Are they only done once a day, if even?

I think they do them twice a day. I saw them gritting the roads at 5 this morning and around 10 pm some nights

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭4tothefloor

wylo wrote: »
    how much well below? if your driving on proper black ice you genuinely have to go to almost walking speed so when you do skid there'll be no momentum.
    It all depends on the ice. I find seeing a 'sparkly' kind of road is easier than black ice.
    About 10 kmph approaching, which is about as slow as you can go in a BMW 320 with rear wheel drive. I wasn't even feeding the accelerator. The road was a mix of 'sparkly' and black ice. I started braking to control the car in prep for stopping about 45yards from the actual stop line and just started gliding 5 yards in. Ice was a few layers thick and rear wheel drive didn't do any favours either!
    zuroph wrote: »
    if you skidded that far its dvd to too much momentum. Ready to stop, and stopping are two different things.
    You can't stop 45 yards away from the actual stop line so preparing to stop from that distance is pretty much all you can do.....

I made a few enquiries today and found out that there were no fewer than 3 crashes at the same entrance last Saturday. You'd think they'd have copped on and gritted that area as a priority from that point on. Gonna ring the council tomorrow to see what they have to say. Four crashes in and around the Crescent the same morning as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm supposed to be collecting my brother from Shannon Airport tonight. I haven't travelled this road since the freeze...it take it that it's a no-go?

Probably better for him to stay in the airport hotel and get home tomorrow sometime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Assuming you're coming from the city side, the road is grand. The only thing that will change that is more rain or snow, but i don't think thats forcast...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Gryzor wrote: »
    Assuming you're coming from the city side, the road is grand. The only thing that will change that is more rain or snow, but i don't think thats forcast...

Apologies, yes, I'll be travelling from Limerick city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Apologies, yes, I'll be travelling from Limerick city centre

Regardless you'll be travelling in both directions, correct?

The road is fine if you drive relatively slowly, stay well back from the cars in front and do not overtake or make any manoeveurs that could cause a loss of traction/control.

Be especially careful around the radisson roadworks as the temporary surface finish is very smooth and hence a bit more tricky.

1000's of people are at work in Shannon today having used these roads, the accidents i've seen on the road have been (in the main) down to speed......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I travel in and out of Shannon every day and have yet to encounter an accident. Id mostly drive home on it at night(after 12) and its been fine, i havent even slipped on it and thats in a RWD 318.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Anyone know condition of of the N18/M18 this morning???

Travelling from Ennis to Limerick I understand roads are good as far as bunratty any info between Bunratty and Limerick City. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Thanks for that Bazz am well acquainted with aaroadwatch and rsa.ie and Clare co. co. website. :rolleyes:

Was hoping for local knowledge i.e. someone who may have travelled on the road already this morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 farmer12

Claregirl wrote: »
    Anyone know condition of of the N18/M18 this morning???

Travelling from Ennis to Limerick I understand roads are good as far as bunratty any info between Bunratty and Limerick City. Thanks!
    The road is fine mainly slush @7am this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

The NRA have a site that gives the road condition of 52 locations throughout the country, very handy to check prior to setting out on a journey when road conditions can vary across the country.

Advertisement