Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electromagnetic pulse

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

espinolman wrote: »
    Civilisation can be set back over a hundred years with an electomagnetic pulse attack or an event from the sun , anything that depends on electronics would be rendered inoperable , that would be everything cars , electrical grid , household appliances , trucks , ships , aircraft everything would become useless , no food could be transported , everything we are depending on to live would be gone and how long would it take to recover , probably years because electronic components in storage would be rendered useless also , unless they were in a faraday cage at the time of an electromagnetic pulse attack or an event from the sun , such as massive solar flares , it would probably take decades to recover because electronic components would have to be manufactrued , yea but the machinery does'nt work and how are they to be transported , nothing works in the area that has been subjected to an electromagnetic pulse

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CAcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FElectromagnetic_pulse&rct=j&q=electromagnetic+pulse+attack&ei=QA1DS4b1NYzy0gThptCSBQ&usg=AFQjCNEfQXnLrBreqUc-BjkmU3gkv9_7KA

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=6&ved=0CBcQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.abovetopsecret.com%2Fpages%2Febomb.html&rct=j&q=electromagnetic+pulse+attack&ei=QA1DS4b1NYzy0gThptCSBQ&usg=AFQjCNHHY9wwG17sXW1S-pmI4H1_fdaBZA

The conspiracy theory is that it is planned that we won't recover , precaustions have not been taken such as the use of faraday cages to prevent a collapse of civilisation in the event of a massive EM pulse from the sun or an attack .

are you implying the Sun is senitent?? and has plans to attack earth???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

robtri wrote: »
    are you implying the Sun is senitent?? and has plans to attack earth???

He's not saying that at all. Solar flares are a natural occurance. I don't know enough about the subject to comment if solar flares could cause an EMP effect though.

My question would be about the Faraday Cages though. Obviously, we can't put Faraday Cages around everything with a plug, but surely they use them for the main computer servers in world banks and the like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

The conspiracy theory is that it is planned that we won't recover , precaustions have not been taken such as the use of faraday cages to prevent a collapse of civilisation in the event of a massive EM pulse from the sun or an attack .

Doesnt the wire grid in reinforced concrete grant faraday-cage protection as an unintended side effect? Bunkers, military grade data centres (not just military owned) and many many office buildings are constructed from reinforced concrete or have some form of faraday cage protection.

He's not saying that at all. Solar flares are a natural occurance. I don't know enough about the subject to comment if solar flares could cause an EMP effect though.

My question would be about the Faraday Cages though. Obviously, we can't put Faraday Cages around everything with a plug, but surely they use them for the main computer servers in world banks and the like?

solar flares can cause EMP pulses that do already effect certain equipment, i know that solar activity can effect satellites.....
    they are natural... i agree... which goes towards what I was trying to get at... if they are naturally occurring where's the CT???? there is none

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Nothing new here:

http://www.ips.gov.au/Educational/1/3/12

A solar flare mangled Canada for a bit in 1989.

Cosmic radiation has also been known to affect Telecoms Networks from time to time.

• Advertisement

LoLth wrote: »
    Doesnt the wire grid in reinforced concrete grant faraday-cage protection as an unintended side effect? Bunkers, military grade data centres (not just military owned) and many many office buildings are constructed from reinforced concrete or have some form of faraday cage protection.

Re-enforced concrete has wire/rods already in place, but to produce a farady cage they must have an electric current running through them....

I am not up on military base construction, but given that the military already use EMP weapons ( see HEMP bombs), i would assume that the very important ones are protected....

My understanding of EMP is very limited, but iirc EMP will destroy electronic equipement only in small area's, where the E1 pulse hits, i believe the range of the E1 pulse is limited a few miles... the E2 pulse part of EMP is much more wide spread but any equipment with surge protectors should be protected..... it will shut down from the surge protection and can be re started......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

If a nuclear missile was detonated outside the ionosphere , the resulting EM pulse would affect everything electronic on earth that was not shielded , we would be set back over a hundred years , i think it is planned that the plug can be pulled on the technology we have at any time , we have been hearing for years in the media " get ready to power down " does that mean over a period of decades or overnight !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

we have been hearing for years in the media " get ready to power down " does that mean over a period of decades or overnight !

Can't remember Anne Doyle ever saying that... :D

The thing is, it wouldn't set us back hundreds of years. We have the knowledge behind it in books etc. It would take a bit of time to get back to where we are now, but not as long as it did the first time because we already have the knowledge and most of the materials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

Would the earth on a 3 pin plug not be easily used to ground the casing on most PC's. While not a pure faraday cage, it would surely suffice? For that matter aren't most hard drives earthed as well?
    As a fall back, all data would just have to record data using good old optical technology (DVD). :confused:

If a nuclear missile was detonated outside the ionosphere , the resulting EM pulse would affect everything electronic on earth that was not shielded , we would be set back over a hundred years , i think it is planned that the plug can be pulled on the technology we have at any time , we have been hearing for years in the media " get ready to power down " does that mean over a period of decades or overnight !

ehhhh nope..... not even close.....
    detonating a nuclear bomb outside the ionsphere would not have this effect.... the military have already done it.... and everything is ok....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

solar flares can cause EMP pulses that do already effect certain equipment, i know that solar activity can effect satellites.....
    they are natural... i agree... which goes towards what I was trying to get at... if they are naturally occurring where's the CT???? there is none

The CT espinolman is predicting is that precautions that could reduce the damage have not been taken, someone is allowing the solar flare damage to destroy civilization
    I think there are some ways of building computers that do withstand EMP, but mostly it's a military technology.

As far as I know, old-fashioned radios built with vacuum tubes would also work fine post-EMP, so we wouldn't be completely without communication. Just mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

If the government set up a "Faraday cage tax" to pay for all of these precautions in the amazingly unlikely event of such a catastrophe, then you would say the government are just fear mongering.

Undergod wrote: »
    The CT espinolman is predicting is that precautions that could reduce the damage have not been taken, someone is allowing the solar flare damage to destroy civilization
    I think there are some ways of building computers that do withstand EMP, but mostly it's a military technology.

As far as I know, old-fashioned radios built with vacuum tubes would also work fine post-EMP, so we wouldn't be completely without communication. Just mostly.

thats the worst CT proposal I have ever heard..... so the conspiracy is that every electronic manufacturer is in on... is that someone is hoping to destroy civilisation based on the freak assumption of a massive solar flare on a scale never witnessed before, would wipe out all electronic items.... mind you only the ones that are turned on????? as EMP doesnt effect powered of units.....

if someone or body of people have that much clout, to infulence design of all major elctronics in the world, data centres, and every other building.... I don't think they are waiting for this freak solar flare...

RoboClam wrote: »
    If the government set up a "Faraday cage tax" to pay for all of these precautions in the amazingly unlikely event of such a catastrophe, then you would say the government are just fear mongering.

very likely in 2012 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVFCv9na3J0

thats the worst CT proposal I have ever heard.....

Really , ever heard of agenda 21 , and we constantly are hearing "lower your footprint" , " get ready to power down" and "go green" .

This is the biggest conspiracy there is .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

Civilisation can be set back over a hundred years with an electomagnetic pulse attack or an event from the sun , anything that depends on electronics would be rendered inoperable , that would be everything cars , electrical grid , household appliances , trucks , ships , aircraft everything would become useless , no food could be transported , everything we are depending on to live would be gone and how long would it take to recover , probably years because electronic components in storage would be rendered useless also , unless they were in a faraday cage at the time of an electromagnetic pulse attack or an event from the sun , such as massive solar flares , it would probably take decades to recover because electronic components would have to be manufactrued , yea but the machinery does'nt work and how are they to be transported , nothing works in the area that has been subjected to an electromagnetic pulse

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CAcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FElectromagnetic_pulse&rct=j&q=electromagnetic+pulse+attack&ei=QA1DS4b1NYzy0gThptCSBQ&usg=AFQjCNEfQXnLrBreqUc-BjkmU3gkv9_7KA

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=6&ved=0CBcQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.abovetopsecret.com%2Fpages%2Febomb.html&rct=j&q=electromagnetic+pulse+attack&ei=QA1DS4b1NYzy0gThptCSBQ&usg=AFQjCNHHY9wwG17sXW1S-pmI4H1_fdaBZA

I remember seeing a program on this subject, the only people that wouldn't be affected are undeveloped tribes/people, the rest of us "developed" nations would be fukked.

Really , ever heard of agenda 21 , and we constantly are hearing "lower your footprint" , " get ready to power down" and "go green" .

This is the biggest conspiracy there is .

yes really........... what has the above topics got to do with military or natural EMP.....

yes really........... what has the above topics got to do with military or natural EMP.....

Civilisation can be set back over one hundred years by an electromagnetic pulse , this would appear to be the goal of the united nations with agenda 21 and the environmental movement .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

It happened in 1989, and knocked out power in Canada for 9 hours. Oh the calamity!!!

Wonder why that wasn't mentioned in the interview? Because it's not as sensational perhaps?

Civilisation can be set back over one hundred years by an electromagnetic pulse , this would appear to be the goal of the united nations with agenda 21 and the environmental movement .

no it can't.... seriously do you understand how EMP works?? and its ranges and its effect on electronic equipment????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

studiorat wrote: »
    It happened in 1989, and knocked out power in Canada for 9 hours. Oh the calamity!!!

Wonder why that wasn't mentioned in the interview? Because it's not as sensational perhaps?

Here's a link to "The Perfect Storm", if it were to happen again or an even stronger one were to hit us I think you and I would notice, the technology that makes the technology that makes the technology would be destroyed, see what I'm getting at?, we depend on past technology to further future technology, if "The Perfect Storm" were to hit us head on and fry anything and everything electrical then I think we would be fukked, it would take a generation or more to get back to where we are now as we have become accustomed to this technology and for it to suddenly vanish we would be like a captive bred animal being suddenly set free to fend for it's self, it would die!.
    So while us great advanced nation's starved to death, the backward tribe savage's would continue as is, unaffected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What would the UN possibly have to gain from a massive solar storm wiping all electronic devices which would effectively destroy modern civilisation??

I agree with an earlier poster....this is one of the worst CTs I've ever come across.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What would the UN possibly have to gain from a massive solar storm wiping all electronic devices which would effectively destroy modern civilisation??

Population reduction !

Population reduction !

How so? And what would they have to gain from the loss of all modern electronic technology?? 'They' would no longer be able to 'spy' on us if 'they' had no technology.....as I said one of the worst CTs ever!

How so? And what would they have to gain from the loss of all modern electronic technology?? 'They' would no longer be able to 'spy' on us if 'they' had no technology.....as I said one of the worst CTs ever!

They would not lose all technology , it would mainly be what the 'planetary riffraff 'need to survive and then they just have to wait until the 'planetary riffraff' die off .

They would not lose all technology , it would mainly be what the 'planetary riffraff 'need to survive and then they just have to wait until the 'planetary riffraff' die off .

This theory is just off the wall even as CTs go.

First of all you need the Sun to produce a massive Coronal Mass Ejection (not seen since at least 1859 and who knows how often they happen, unless the NWO control the Sun?!), not only that but it needs to be ejected directly at the Earth of all the other directions it could go. You also need the Earth's magnetosphere to fail spectacularly. In addition you need the resultant CME to cause a massive EMP. If that wasn't bad enough only certain electronic technologies will be affected.....the 'NWO' technology would somehow survive......this is off the wall stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

detonating a nuclear bomb outside the ionsphere would not have this effect.... the military have already done it.... and everything is ok....

Where did you hear this ? Any links ?

Duiske wrote: »
    Where did you hear this ? Any links ?

High Altitude Nuclear Tests

nuclear-test-9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Well, the tests decribed there did have an effect on ground-level electronics, though they were far lower than the ionosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

You might find the latest interview of Bill Ryan from project camelot interesting, he mentions some info that they received from the wife of an electrical engineer.
    Can't remember where exactly in the interview, it's 2hr 28m long but worth watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

High Altitude Nuclear Tests

Thanks namloc. Interesting stuff.

Undergod wrote: »
    Well, the tests decribed there did have an effect on ground-level electronics, though they were far lower than the ionosphere.

the f layer of the ionshpere, the top most layer extends to approx 400KM. the highest test of nuclear explosion is at 540KM see article Duiske provided....

and guess what we still all here and we are not knocked back 100 years........

Advertisement