Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which one?

• 05-01-2010 11:37am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Submitting images for the January round of the Club Competition tonight.

I have decided on one of the two images to put in, but am now trying to decide between these two for the second image. Hope I have picked the right links, as Pix.ie is blocked to me at work.

They should be a Snowy Wall leading to a girl in a Red Jacket and a pattern of snow on a Grate.

I have the Wall in at the moment but am leaning towards the Grate now. I like the simplicity of it with just texture of the snow with the strong contrast of the Grate. Then I go back to the Wall .... then I think they are both rubbish.

Any thoughts?

B5EB2B8D7CCA4D9784B7B9CA6808EC47-800.jpg

2AFC7A6C9764492D99FCCE464A5E6858-800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

i think the grate is more interesting, but does have a slight blue cast on my monitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Hmm...
    If #1 was my shot, i would try to remove the distortion so the girl in a Red Jacket and signpost were vertical.

I do like the simplicity of the grate with the snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Personally like #2, it's an interesting, yet simple composition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

I think the first one is a bit...cluttered (the branches are quite overpowering given the simplicity of the other part of the image). I'd agree with Longshanks about the vertical distortion. I do like the lines of the wall leading to the 50km girl.

I prefer the second one personally, but it does have a blue cast. Also the spots of disturbed snow in the bottom left are a bit distracting. I don't think they work to balance the grating.

Not much use on a decision there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I prefer the first one..kinda reminds of Schlinder's list where it's shot in black and white except for the little girl in the red coat...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I'd have to go with 2 myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

number 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

+1#2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

another vote for no. 2!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Like you Caban I go from one to two and back again.

The disturbance on the bottom of 2 throws me off.
    Then I look at 1 and the branches and the wall seem to be saying look at her, but she is out of focus.

I'd go with 2, with or without modifying as I think the girl being out of focus kills the first picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

2 all the way Tony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I'ld crop the drip marks in the snow from 2 and go with that, pristine white snow and a gutter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I like the drip marks. It makes it a bit Ying Yang.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Good idea but I think the Judge is just going to see it as the grate and the drops being distracting because you can't write a little paragraph on the back of the picture explaining what you see in the picture.
    You will have to get a creative name to make him think of it.

you should clone them out ;)

Good idea but I think the Judge is just going to see it as the grate and the drops being distracting because you can't write a little paragraph on the back of the picture explaining what you see in the picture.
    You will have to get a creative name to make him think of it.

Judges schmudges - I like them! He/she might too :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Right - Looked at the "other" image & saw a problem there too ..... So I am going to put both these in and see how it goes.

The more I look at the Grate the more I am liking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

I like ther grate one best but think it is too comfortable to the eye as it is, I twisted it 90 to portrait and it seemed more abstract and interesting ...with kerbline running from bottom left to top right ... I prefer that composition but i'm odd :D

• Advertisement

Right ..... I had some extra time so re-processed it.

Changed WB
    Different Crop
    Rotated

64F7536F9C44479C8A63AE9CF73BB08F-800.jpg

Now I have lost the Ying Yang thang but think it probably works a bit better now.

Definetely more abstract thought I was looking at piano keys for a minute :)

I'll be curious as to how it gets on :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

#1, that's Lucan down the road from the church isn't it?
    I think number 2 is the best one though.

Advertisement