Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EP Mooney liquidation auction

• 05-01-2010 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

http://www.eauctions.ie/pages/currentsales/ep-mooney-in-liquidation.php

One would have thought the un-registered cars would have been taken by the distributors as title wouldn't have passed to EP Mooney.

A lot of good quality vehicles there unlike some of the liquidation auctions we have seen in the past.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Mailman wrote: »
    http://www.eauctions.ie/pages/currentsales/ep-mooney-in-liquidation.php

One would have thought the un-registered cars would have been taken by the distributors as title wouldn't have passed to EP Mooney.

I don't think the distributors give the the cars to the dealer. Don't the dealers buy the vehicles from the distributors up front then add their markup and sell them on?

I could be completely wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

If a distributor is owed money for anything including parts they usually jump in and seize their own stock before liquidator shuts up the shop.

By the quality of vehicles in the auction it looks to me that EP Mooney didn't know they were going to be shut down. Usually only muck is left by the time the liquidator has locked the place down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hey folks,

EP Mooney are havin a liquidation auction this month

http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/0106/epmooney.html

My brother is lookin for a car at the moment and asked me to inquire on here about it.

Anyone been to one of these before? Think there was another one for a different company before Christmas. Do ya just turn up on the day? Any more details?

And are there usually good savings to be had at them?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

There can be good savings but most of these liquidation auctions are full of people there for the first time and bid up to more or less sticker price of the car at a dealer and end up with a car with zero warrenty which they would have been better of buying private. My advice would be to look at the auction list and make a shortlist of cars you are interested in and then check carzone and the likes for similar models, if it was my money I wouldn't buy anything at auction unless I was getting atleast a 30% discount on the going rate for a similar car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There was very little value at the Tom Hogan liquidation, in fact most probably sold for more than the sticker price due to gombeens thinking it was a great deal due to auction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

There were some good deals in an auction by the same crowd around april last year.. Orwell motors if I'm not mistaken, a friend got a great deal (great at that time, that is)

But not many knew about that one though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Plenty of very tidy '08 Santa Fe Autos with low mileage. Road tax could be a killer though (think they're over the 200g/Co2...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭happyeveryday

Auction re-scheduled to 23rd Jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

most 08 Santa Fe autos will have been registered before July so will be on old system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    most 08 Santa Fe autos will have been registered before July so will be on old system

+1

Any one registered after 1/7/2008 is subject to €1050 tax, on the old rate it is €823.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

I had a look at the catalogue and I'm thinking of going over for a look. Did anyone here buy cars off auctions before?

Looking at the T&Cs there's some really dodgy stuff there.. Like for example, you're not considered a "customer" but a "bidder" and have no consumer protection. Also they basically cover themselves for everything and guarantee nothing, not even that the cars are roadworthy!

The only thing that got me interested in this is that the cars come from EP Mooney, so if they were good enough to be in their showrooms they're probably decent enough cars. Now after reading the T&Cs I'm not so sure! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭webels

crótach wrote: »
    I had a look at the catalogue and I'm thinking of going over for a look. Did anyone here buy cars off auctions before?

Looking at the T&Cs there's some really dodgy stuff there.. Like for example, you're not considered a "customer" but a "bidder" and have no consumer protection. Also they basically cover themselves for everything and guarantee nothing, not even that the cars are roadworthy!

The only thing that got me interested in this is that the cars come from EP Mooney, so if they were good enough to be in their showrooms they're probably decent enough cars. Now after reading the T&Cs I'm not so sure! :)
    I think the auctioned is postponed to next saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Anyone been to one of these before?

It's called an 'unreserved auction' - does this mean there's no minimum price, that if I bid €500 for a car and nobody bids against me I get it?

I'd imagine that as it's a liquidation auction they basically want to get rid of everything, so no matter how low the 'highest' bid is the car will be sold for that price?...

Can anyone who is experienced in these things fill me in please?

Some nice cars on that list. I would happily take a C70 off their hands.

Did EP mooney actually sell volvos? or is it just a strange coincidence that koping motors was owned by the same family?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I heard him on Mooney (Radio 1) I think it was yesterday, he has opened again under another name.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

crótach wrote: »
    That's pretty standard for auctions afaik, the idea is that you take on the extra risk of no warranty/guarantee in the hopes of getting a good bargain.

So imho in order to make buying a car at an auction a good idea you need to be getting it at a significant discount under what you would pay in a dealers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Bear in mind also that some of those cars still have the balance of manufacturers warranty. Many of the bigger engined cars/SUV's seem to have been reg'd in the first half of 08 to avoid the emissions based road tax, so they should still have a few months left of a 2-yr warranty, or even a year and a bit if they're 3-yr warranties.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭trackcar

I have been to a few auctions, there are bargins to be got but in recent times with more of the public going to actions looking for "bargins" some people can loose the run of things. if the see a car they like can bid it up too high and end up paying over the odds. by the time 5% buyers fee + VAT at 21% on the fees is added onto the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Apparently a certain Person is looking for a franchise from an ex Swedish come American car manufacturer. Apprently there are question marks over his/her customer satisfaction reputation and said company are looking to deny said Person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MMalone

trackcar wrote: »
    I have been to a few auctions, there are bargins to be got but in recent times with more of the public going to actions looking for "bargins" some people can loose the run of things. if the see a car they like can bid it up too high and end up paying over the odds. by the time 5% buyers fee + VAT at 21% on the fees is added onto the price.

I was at a Liquidation auction last Feb and got a jeep for considerably less than it's asking price. Thankfully I still have it, so I would recommend it,. You should have a look on Carzone to get an idea of the cars selling price before you go to the auction and that way you know when to stop bidding...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Cheers MMalone it looks like you got a great deal!

Is it worth me going up to this? I heard the dealers will outbid you all the way to just below the RRP so bergains are few and far between?

On the other hand I'm told dealers don't really want more used stock coz they can't shift their own, hence EP Mooney liquidation!!

Me confused anyone have a clearer picture than this?

Also what will the starting price be on these cars? 50% of Retail Price or higher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

E39MSport wrote: »
    Apparently a certain Person is looking for a franchise from an ex Swedish come American car manufacturer. Apprently there are question marks over his/her customer satisfaction reputation and said company are looking to deny said Person.

I actually think they've re-opened, so they must've got it in the end.

I don't see how there would be any question marks over them. From my understanding they were a very good dealer for customer service, just a little expensive for used cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭GiftGrub100

I think Koping have reopened as a service and parts agent for Volvo and not a new car dealership, good news for some of the staff laid off in the month before Christmas, hopefully they will do well.

As for the creditors of the previous Koping I really don't understand how all that works out.

Koping are/were a part of the EP Mooney group, and also EP Mooney have reopened as a Hyundai Dealership, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

That is big list of cars. I guess they will not charge for this ;)

Best value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Mailman wrote: »

A lot of good quality vehicles there unlike some of the liquidation auctions we have seen in the past.

http://www.eauctions.ie/pages/gocart/1991-hyundai-pony-1.0-litre-petrol1350.php?p=210

yep :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Anybody going along to this auction today ? I cant go myself but would be interested in hearing what sort of prices stuff sold for.

I would expect that there will be a big turnout for this and few bargains considering the hype for this over the last few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭oxegen85

I would be interested to see what the 08 Lancer goes for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

I was there this morning and of the 15 or so cars I saw sold not one was anywhere near a bargain, most sold for near retail prices without any warranty. Maybe things got better as the day went on but I didn't hang around to find out. I'd say most of the buyers knew next to nothing of the current prices of the cars they were bidding on.

yeah... friend of mine said that all the cars were going fairly expensive... surely people look up the market price before going to auctions so they would know what a bargain is... suppose not though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭baldric

Went to auction....was there for 3 hours and had my eye on 2 specific vehicles and two other types perhaps a total of 14 vehicles on which I had done my home work...ie forecourt prices, cash prices from retailers and private prices.

In every single case the price achieved or exceeded forecourt prices!!! I would reckon that these people paid in some cases 4,000 or 5,000 euros more than the cash deal they could have done with a sales man on the forecourt and perhaps by 6-8,000 euros deals that could have been done privately......it was nothing short of staggering!!! And this is for cars that may have had either no warranty or a partial warranty at best, cars that they have had no opportunity to test drive, and cars that in the main had no discernible service history.

The auctioneers played the room like a fiddle using all the tricks ( and I should know what these are!!)

If anyone out there is a journalist and wants to do a piece on mass consumer hysteria, I have a lot of the prices recorded !!

Did anyone stay to the bitter end, I left at about lot 130....I assume there was no revelation to the masses before the auctioneers put on their masks and rode out of town.:o

you left before the 08 lancer then??? I kinda wanna know what auctions are getting for these cos im thinking of putting mine into an auction... looks like I could make all my money back :) haha

yeah I think the mitsubishi's were close to the end....yeah try and get it in to the next liquidation auction....i reckon the normal punters at merlin or wilsons are too cute for the pillage that went on today..best of luck with sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

I'm no car expert but I do have a bit of experience in liquidations. Before EP mooney went into liquidation they would have tried to flog all those cars to the motor trade. Whatever was left was what the trade didnt want plus you have no comeback other than a manufacturers warranty which in most cases would have expired. Finally, this liquidation got so much publicity that the world and his mother would have been there so the chances of getting and bargain were slim to none.

anyway it hardly matters ....all I know is that some people paid way above what you would pay on a bad day on a forecourt where they had a very big window and could see you coming from killarney...as for liquidations in only in Ireland to the best of myknowledge do items fetch at liquidation prices far in excess of the open market value.....and remember the reason EP Mooney and many other car sellers have gone bust precisely because no one is willing to pay market value for anything.....this is in the car trade the most depressed and decimated retailing trade there is.....its a further symptom of our malaise that in the worst economic environment in many years that people havent got the sense to do their homework before being suckered into throwing away money..... having fallen pray to a slick marketing campaign.......but anyway perhaps there is a silver lining...i dont know anything about the state of EP Mooneys affairs, but perhaps the liquidators windfall will result in some nonpreferential creditors getting an unexpected return...or perhaps the staff who were redundant on foot of the liquidation will do a little better....the moderator seems to think because of my notes on this that I am in the media or something.....well, rest assured I am just a flabbergasted member of the public who spent a few hours wide eyed and awe struck at irrational consumerism.......

have a good weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Any examples of the prices some of the motors made? No surprise to see strong bidding but I'd be surprised to see people pay over retail :rolleyes:

e.g. What did the Volvo's S80's fetch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....this carry on is the same as the Hogan's one: staggering stuff.

What I want to know is, how do I get my car into a 'liquidation' auction, so I can get over-the-odds for it ? :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Casati wrote: »
    Any examples of the prices some of the motors made? No surprise to see strong bidding but I'd be surprised to see people pay over retail :rolleyes:

e.g. What did the Volvo's S80's fetch?

'07 Octavia diesel made 11k (+commission, bodywork, 2 front tyres, €630 road tax and a service would put it at about 12k to put on the road = lunacy)
    08 Laguna diesel RN Reg: 13k
    09 Bravo M-Jet Diesel 13ish - can't remember.
    07 Mits L200: 10k + vat
    05 Toledo Petrol: 5.5k
    91 Hyundai Pony 75 quid - the only bargain of the day!

Stupid money for the meganes and aveos, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Casati wrote: »
    No surprise to see strong bidding but I'd be surprised to see people pay over retail :rolleyes:

The problem with these auctions is that people who know nothing about cars judge market value on dealership/Carzone asking prices. There can be, as most of us know, a huge difference between what a car is advertised at and what its actually worth. The actual selling price can be lower again, depending on how badly the seller wants to get rid of it.

So, Joe/Joanna Public sits down for an hour and makes notes of advertised prices from various websites and is then happy to bid a couple of grand below what they perceive the value of the car to be. I saw this happen at the Chapmans auction in Kildare a good while ago and obviously nothing's changed.

Often the only bargain at these auctions is the top level stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

How much did the XK Jag go for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

can anyone tell me what the Iveco 18seater went for.

I wanted to have a go at it but left due to the idiot bidders driving prices up..

I think the jag went for 44k + fee's so again normal retail

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Motor Mouth

The XK Jag went for €43k

I went along & was (like everyone else) amazed at prices being paid. Left about lot 130. Some selected prices:

08 Astras €9k - €10k
    08 Notes €7,750 for most of them
    08 Tiidas €8,500 - €10k
    08 Diesel Volvo S80s €26k
    08 Petrol Volvo S80s €17.5k - €19k
    07 S80 Petrols €13.5k - €17.5k
    07 S80 Diesels €22.5k - €23.5k
    07 Volkwagen Golf 1.4 €12,750
    07 BMW 316 ES bog spec €16,500
    07 Alfa 159 1.8 €11,250
    08 Santa Fes €22k - €26k

These are all before auctioneers fees 5% + VAT and €180 indemnity insurance, so a lot of cars made a lot more than retail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Madness.

The liquidators will be happy, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Anyone know how much the automatic Sonata went for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

The XK Jag went for €43k

I went along & was (like everyone else) amazed at prices being paid. Left about lot 130. Some selected prices:

08 Astras €9k - €10k
    08 Tiidas €8,500 - €10k
    07 Alfa 159 1.8 €11,250
    08 Santa Fes €22k - €26k

These are all before auctioneers fees 5% + VAT and €180 indemnity insurance, so a lot of cars made a lot more than retail

I agree with you there - there seemed to be a lot of punters who hadn't done their homework as regards prices - paying retail, when they should not have paid more than wholesale;)

Did you by any chance happen to note the prices that the Hyundai Tucsons made? There was a good number of petrol versions in the 07/08 range and a couple of '07 diesels.

Did anyone go to the auction this morning?

Any decent deals, or was it all just punters bidding over the retail price? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

fat-tony wrote: »
    I agree with you there - there seemed to be a lot of punters who hadn't done their homework as regards prices - paying retail, when they should not have paid more than wholesale;)

Did you by any chance happen to note the prices that the Hyundai Tucsons made? There was a good number of petrol versions in the 07/08 range and a couple of '07 diesels.

08 Tuscons went from 11.25-13.5k.
    07 Tuscons went from 9-10.25k
    all excluding buyers premium and VAT on buyers premium.

What is yer opinion on 07 Tuscon Sport for 9.75k.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

zidewayz wrote: »
    08 Tuscons went from 11.25-13.5k.
    07 Tuscons went from 9-10.25k
    all excluding buyers premium and VAT on buyers premium.

What is yer opinion on 07 Tuscon Sport for 9.75k.

07 Tuscon Sport for 9.75k 16000km

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

9 times out of 10,if a car goes up for auction with no reserve,it actually sells for more than its worth.

people thinjk they will get an absolute bargin so they just keep bidding against each other.

the winner at the end of the day is the auction place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rev1890

The XK Jag went for €43k

08 Astras €9k - €10k
    08 Tiidas €8,500 - €10k
    07 Alfa 159 1.8 €11,250
    08 Santa Fes €22k - €26k

I purchased a 2008 Note for 7750 at the auction yesteray. It has about 1.5 years of manufacturers warranty left and mileage was 27k kms. It will cost about 8200 after auctioneers fees. I don't think this is a bad price. It's not dirt cheap but i wouldn't have got it from a dealer at that price.

Wow. I'm glad I chose to spend my time in bed. Had about 5k, I doubt I'd get anything at all on this auction. Except that Hyundai Pony maybe :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement