Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Crystal - New and Old Site Discussion

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

i agree. Even when it was in use it was a dingy looking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Hang on a sec, is it the old Esb building that its going to be in? And if so just how extensive will this "demolishing" be?

I had a look at the plans a while and was talking to a few corporation people involved in the project from what I can gather the old ESB offices building will remain but it will get a serious facelift, it will be gutted internally and a new more modern facade will be constructed around the building itself. A tourist trail will be constructed almost around the building including the old Snap office(to the right of the ESB building when facing it) it will also make use of the old corporation yard behind the ESB site in which the buildings will contain some of the aspects of crystal manufacturing. I have been told it will provide a visitors centre and some element of a cafe/restaurant although I’m not sure in which building (old or new) these will be.
    I’m probably gone off topic here and maybe the new crystal centre might deserve a topic of it own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭foxylad

from what ive heard from the City Manager -
    it will open on or before 1st June -
    expect 200,000 visitors in its first year
    being promoted internationally by failte ireland
    total internal reconstruction
    "glass" being made on site is in the upper value range -above €250
    along with this - the redesign of the Bishops Palace -
    into what a period residence looked like back in the day - inagine a miniture Buckingham Palace
    the opening of the "undercroft" - a series of rooms and passage ways under the city wheich were used hundreds of years ago as an escape route and hiding place from invaders
    a refurb of Cathedral Square
    the construction of a Viking boat - which will be archelogically Correct in every way
    a bus car park for tour busses to our city

its all looking good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

foxylad wrote: »
    into what a period residence looked like back in the day - inagine a miniture Buckingham Palace
    the opening of the "undercroft" - a series of rooms and passage ways under the city wheich were used hundreds of years ago as an escape route and hiding place from invaders
    the construction of a Viking boat - which will be archelogically Correct in every way

its all looking good!

If only half of these come to fruition it will be fantastic news! We have things to show off, now let's show them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Very nice indeed. Good luck to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

jayboi wrote: »
    i wonder would the waterford gaa be interested as a possible replacement for Walsh Park?

They haven't got the money. Even if they sold Walsh Park the cost of purchasing land that big so close to the city centre would be too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

foxylad wrote: »

its all looking good!

They can't leave cathedral square in the state it's in, that's for sure. Are they still putting a cafe of some description in the undercrofts area? The more tourist and native footfall in the area the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

jayboi wrote: »
    I had a look at the plans a while and was talking to a few corporation people involved in the project from what I can gather the old ESB offices building will remain but it will get a serious facelift, it will be gutted internally and a new more modern facade will be constructed around the building itself. A tourist trail will be constructed almost around the building including the old Snap office(to the right of the ESB building when facing it) it will also make use of the old corporation yard behind the ESB site in which the buildings will contain some of the aspects of crystal manufacturing. I have been told it will provide a visitors centre and some element of a cafe/restaurant although I’m not sure in which building (old or new) these will be.
    I’m probably gone off topic here and maybe the new crystal centre might deserve a topic of it own.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Cabaal wrote: »
    Hopefully the whole bloody building....atleast one could hope

Its an eye sore

I disagree, I think its a nice example of 1960's International style architecture like a mini-Seagram building

Having been in it a few times the internal fittings were mid-1960's style and looked pretty good, I'm glad I got some pics of it last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The ESB building might look alright in the correct location but slap bang in the middle of a largely intact 18th century street is not at all appropriate. Still thats idiot town planners for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I disagree, I think its a nice example of 1960's International style architecture like a mini-Seagram building

Having been in it a few times the internal fittings were mid-1960's style and looked pretty good, I'm glad I got some pics of it last year.

You must be one of those people that think Busaras is a masterpiece. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The waterford crystal Owners have unveiled there plans for the new Factory in Waterford And if this Factory is a Sucsess they Plan to open a Even bigger factory in 3 to 4 years time TV3 Shows some pictures http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=18663&locID=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The old ESB building? And they're gonna use it as is and not demolish the eyesore?

Crazy.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

alinton wrote: »
    The old ESB building? And they're gonna use it as is and not demolish the eyesore?

Crazy.

A.

As far as i know city council are going to be using the offices aswell

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Merging with the other topic discussing same.

Topics Merged

Personally I think whatever it turns out like, the building can only be better than what's there at the moment. I've taken a screenshot from the TV3 broadcast, you can see how the outline of the main building will be re-clad.

It's great to see a hive of building activity after all the doom and gloom of stalled projects like the City Council quarter, Ardree, North Quays, Newgate Centre, Stanley site etc!

i passed by the factory earlier and it really drives the hole thing home when you see all the chandeliers gone. Its a shame but i suppose every cloud has a silver lining.

A VITAL part of the infrastructure needed for the new Waterford Crystal Visitor Centre to become a reality was given the green light this week.

The members of Waterford City Council agreed to extend the existing Bolton St. car park to allow for a total of 111 car parking and 17 coach spaces.

Cllr Tom Cunningham said the car park and proposed centre are “vital for the immediate and long-term future of the city”.

Cllr Cha O’Neill requested free car parking but was told because it will be a public car park this won’t be possible, but that ideas for visitors to the centre being accommodated with free parking is being looked at.

Although the intention is for the car park to be used to service the Waterford Crystal venture, it will be a public pay and display facility.

During the planning process only one submission was received from a Ms. Rita Canney of Grantstown Village.

She raised concerns in relation to traffic issues and a need for a Traffic Impact Assessment, the inadequate width of a footpath and the ‘ad hoc’ nature of the overall development of the crystal project.

However, John Andrews, City Planner, said, the scale of the development didn’t require a traffic assessment.

The provision of the car park was such that development of the site at a later date would not hinder the Bolton St. Urban Design Framework, which has been deferred.

The footpath has been provided for by the flood relief works, which are being carried out in the area.

Work to be carried out will include the demolition and site clearance of the existing Waterford city Plant Depot, which is currently disused.

http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/story/?trs=mhcwcwauoj&cat=news

Hopefully the lanes in this area will be cleaned up a bit, the state they're in at the moment wouldn't inspire on the way to the visitor center!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

I walked past the old Waterford Crystal site yesterday and was saddened to see that not only are all on the gates chained shut but also all of the signs have been taken down or painted over. It's just like walking the quays and seeing the derelict flour mills and all the closed-down shops. Very, very depressing. ♪"This town, is coming like a ghost town"♪

I think the boarding up of all the windows of the office block and gallery starts next week.

• Advertisement

wellbutty wrote: »
    I think the boarding up of all the windows of the office block and gallery starts next week.
    Sweet Jesus! and will someone be employed to smash all the windows first i wonder, someone else could get a job writing grafiti on the walls as well!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I just find it all really depressing. I often drive past the main entrance on my way home from work and it's so horrible to see the gates chained up. I don't like how it is now because it's still "The Glass" but with nothing going on.

I hope someone buys it, tears it all down and does something with it because, as long as it's in its current state, it's just going to be a massive reminder of how bad things got here and how many people's lives were affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I Went past the New waterford crystal building today it seems to be getting higher and there still working on it there putting Alot of effort into it anyway did anybody take any pictures of it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Already a topic on this..

Please search before posting :)

Topics Merged

Advertisement