Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wondrously wild here; sideways all is coming in now and very dark. Even the dogs refuse to go out...

Some photos from earlier...

All the snow is off the trees now so am glad I caught it. Utterly beautiful but so fragile.

snowtreestwo.jpg

snowfalling.jpg

snowtreesone.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Precip chart for 6pm :

3hr-rain.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

wushu wrote: »
    Just had small snow shower here in wicklow town :) some big snowflakes to start then small grainy snow for about 5 mins ...clouds seem to be building over the irish sea.. hopfully this is the start to some showers making landfall on the east coast:cool:

roger that!
    looking out across portmarnock they look alot bigger and closer now. there's very little wind though.

nothing to the west... its all happening out at sea !

Thans a million for the replys :) Im cheered right up now:) I see those clouds and they look amazing.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

I'm looking at a big hefty grey cloud from my window in sandyford ind est towards the irish sea and its not stopping its just heading south with out and drop of snow or rain being left behind. not happy one little bit about this:mad::mad::mad: i hope navan gets snowed in over night and i have to stay at home:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Defcol wrote: »
    Su, do you think it'll push in as far as Navan? or is that hoping too much?

Hmmm, I'd drop it down to 50% for Navan :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

snowing again here in wicklow town:cool: or should say snow blowing in the wind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Have to admit that the NW is being favoured by the GFS for the entire week. Saturday is showing up a significant event for the North in particular. No point in saying anymore until tomorrow or Thursday. Im off all. I really hope you get buckets of snow everyone in the east.

PS. light snow here again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

Graces7 wrote: »
    Wondrously wild here; sideways all is coming in now and very dark. Even the dogs refuse to go out...

Some photos from earlier...

All the snow is off the trees now so am glad I caught it. Utterly beautiful but so fragile.

snowtreestwo.jpg

snowfalling.jpg[IMG][/img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_dmYFT364rj8/S0MwIwWDIzI/AAAAAAAAACw/z9Aj0CdlA7Q/s320/snowtreesone.jpg
    glad to see you're still with us Grace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

wushu wrote: »
    Just had small snow shower here in wicklow town :) some big snowflakes to start then small grainy snow for about 5 mins ...clouds seem to be building over the irish sea.. hopfully this is the start to some showers making landfall on the east coast:cool:
    Just NW of Wicklow Town and got them here!!
    There has been a streamer developing from Wicklow to near Co. Down and its starting to deliver. Its likely to continue deveoping.

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote: »
    There has been a streamer developing from Wicklow to near Co. Down and its starting to deliver. Its likely to continue deveoping.
    excellent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Judging by the flags on one of the buildings here in the business park the wind has shifted and looks like it is drawing those clouds in.

Dublin 3 by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

12Z GFS is bone dry with no precip from Thursday evening through to Friday.

is that for the east of the country? thought it looked better further west. you'll have a good night tonight..have you had snow already?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Precip chart for 6pm :

3hr-rain.gif

this looks good for me so as long as the green and tellow bit around connaught pushes in a small bit i should get some

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Precip chart for 6pm :

3hr-rain.gif

Looks like that will just miss me!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Those clouds look fantastic with the setting sun! Edging a little closer (or getting bigger?).

-1.1c here now and DP -2.7c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

roger that!
    looking out across portmarnock they look alot bigger and closer now. there's very little wind though.

nothing to the west... its all happening out at sea !

Those clouds have been making an orderly path southwards since lunch time.
    From my viewpoint(near Heuston station) they have stayed the same distance from the coast since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

-3 and the temp is dropping fast here,
    going to be like a ice rink in an hour:rolleyes:

clear skys not a cloud in the sky or a breath of wind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here I go again, but there is a distinct circulation forming off the coast of Norway today which looks symmetrical enough to have good potential for a polar low. The ingredients seem to be there, so definitely one to keep an eye on this evening. :)

Only problem is that if it does form, it'll probably have run its life before reaching us :mad:

101016.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Su Campu wrote: »
    Here I go again, but there is a distinct circulation forming off the coast of Norway today which looks symmetrical enough to have good potential for a polar low. The ingredients seem to be there, so definitely one to keep an eye on this evening. :)

Only problem is that if it does form, it'll probably have run its life before reaching us :mad:

101016.JPG

Me thinks that polar low might just clip West Mayo. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

is that for the east of the country? thought it looked better further west. you'll have a good night tonight..have you had snow already?

12Z GFS shows no precip anywhere from Thursday evening through to early Saturday, but for Saturday onwards the snow potental returns, it's too far out though so no point looking too closely as the situation will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Rodg3

This is killing me... i'm sitting here in work, 5 stories up. I've a beautiful view out towards Dublin bay and the Wicklow Mountains, and all I can see is this giant mass of heavy cloud that I know is just full of snow, but it's not going anywhere! It's wasting its load out at sea!

Mother nature is a cocktease! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

Any sign of snow showers along the east coast yet anyone?

Nothing here except wind..but I can see shower northeast of ballymoyle and several flashing their knickers at me running down the irish sea..

guideanna wrote: »
    Any sign of snow showers along the east coast yet anyone?
    Here in Wicklow town we have had a few small snow flurries :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Its waiting until the lamposts light up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Any snow on the west, hoping for a snow day tomorrow.....;)

I'm glad there's a lamp post outside the house for me to watch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

Rodg3 wrote: »
    This is killing me... i'm sitting here in work, 5 stories up. I've a beautiful view out towards Dublin bay and the Wicklow Mountains, and all I can see is this giant mass of heavy cloud that I know is just full of snow, but it's not going anywhere! It's wasting its load out at sea!

Mother nature is a cocktease! ;)

i can see exactly what you are seeing and it is the biggest tease going. nice big grey fuflly clouds loaded with snow and its not hitting us just dropping it all out to sea. DAMN YOU MOTHER NATURE:mad::mad:

• Advertisement

+0.1c now with a strong breeze off the sea here.
    DP is -3.5c

You can really feel the cut in the wind!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement