Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Just to show how redicilous GFS is, on the 06Z it had 850mb temperatures over Ireland of -6, on the 12Z for the same timeframe (T+150) it has 850mb temperatures of -12..

It performed well at first with the recent upgrade, but I really don't know what it's up to now..

Anyway, cold persisting for another 5 Days at least. Also, I know this doesn't have a huge amount of snow potential, apart from flurries in Eastern areas, but the UKMO @ T+120 is exceptionally consistent again. Trace the isobars of that Easterly flow.. With a cold and snowy continent and a cold pool still in place, that could well bring extremely cold minima at night time, away from exposed Eastern coasts.

UW120-21.GIF?05-17

Meanwhile, the 12Z UKMO Charts show light snow shower potential for Eastern areas at T+72 towards T+96..

SA :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rambling rose

Su Campu wrote: »
    Here I go again, but there is a distinct circulation forming off the coast of Norway today which looks symmetrical enough to have good potential for a polar low. The ingredients seem to be there, so definitely one to keep an eye on this evening. :)

Only problem is that if it does form, it'll probably have run its life before reaching us :mad:

.............................................................................

Hey Su, you are doing a wonderful job. Keep up the good work!!
    Do you think Kilkenny has much chance of a covering??

Thank you in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

linguist wrote: »
    Donabate looking east at 1545.

Yep looking that too, facing east in my study room (such a badly named room as all ive done all day in here is read this thread and look out the window, hope mother nature will pay for my repeat exams, cause i know mother fyr.fytr wont ha ha :P)

make that -0.1c
    Sub zero and a sea wind,I haven't seen that happen for a couple of decades!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Current view to my east (note my snow :)).

037.jpg

-1.2c DP -2.7c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Rodg3 wrote: »
    This is killing me... i'm sitting here in work, 5 stories up. I've a beautiful view out towards Dublin bay and the Wicklow Mountains, and all I can see is this giant mass of heavy cloud that I know is just full of snow, but it's not going anywhere! It's wasting its load out at sea!

Mother nature is a cocktease! ;)

I seem to have the same view - it looks to be tracking south just off the coast - doesn't look to be doing much at the edges though.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

View out my attic window looking to I think the South East roughly... come on ya fecker, blow inland!!!

SnowClouds.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

Looking out over Wicklow harbor there is a very dark cloud about to make landfall here:cool: snow blowing in the wind still even before the shower hits us:D snow getting heavy now:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Jez looking at the latest Radar it would make you sick with all those big showers off the West and East coast all out to sea and very little on land. What a waste :mad::mad:

http://www.met.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Just to show how redicilous GFS is, on the 06Z it had 850mb temperatures over Ireland of -6, on the 12Z for the same timeframe (T+150) it has 850mb temperatures of -12..

It performed well at first with the recent upgrade, but I really don't know what it's up to now..

Anyway, cold persisting for another 5 Days at least. Also, I know this doesn't have a huge amount of snow potential, apart from flurries in Eastern areas, but the UKMO @ T+120 is exceptionally consistent again. Trace the isobars of that Easterly flow.. With a cold and snowy continent and a cold pool still in place, that could well bring extremely cold minima at night time, away from exposed Eastern coasts.

UW120-21.GIF?05-17

Meanwhile, the 12Z UKMO Charts show light snow shower potential for Eastern areas at T+72 towards T+96..

so are the threats of troughs everntually moving from east to west gone now due to the pressure being too high?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Out as far as 180 hours on the 12Z GFS and still very cold, widespread -3c to -7c.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

few more pics.
    hope u dont mind me posting them.

just like glass
    DSCF0050.jpg

DSCF0054-Copy.jpg

DSCF0056.jpg

someone been busy
    DSCF0046.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

:( gloomy.... can see it, can almost feel it... and it floats on south.... avoiding me... maybe because i had devious plans to take its fluffy whiteness and make shapes.... snowman shapes....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Getting dark here and there is some ominous looking cloud building to the East.

:D

wushu wrote: »
    Looking out over Wicklow harbor there is a very dark cloud about to make landfall here:cool: snow blowing in the wind still even before the shower hits us:D snow getting heavy now:cool:
    oh dear.. thats an earlier start to the interesting part of my n11 trip north.
    I was hoping I wouldn't run into bother untill on my way back in a couple of hours..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Great pics there IOM - you should also post them up in the weather pictures section. Welcome btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Snow being reported in the Donaghmore area of Cork, 15 Miles NW of Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

francosp wrote: »

Getting dark? Its 16:30? Does that not normally happen?:D Sorry just jealous of the possibility of you getting snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

francosp wrote: »

I'm in CC myself and it suddenly got really dark the last 10 minutes or so.

COME ON SNOW!!!!!!

Being in D11 myself, we have a great chance of a snow day tomorrow if our wish comes true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

ive been trying to upload my pink clouds there for last 10 min.... Meh

I hope you appreciate the effort - forgot drive is glass & snotted on my butt.. ( sore)

Got a pic of the ice outside in the cul de sac - its about 5" deep - so lethal... Poor lil mini me hasnt even had a go of her bike Santy brought :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

so are the threats of troughs everntually moving from east to west gone now due to the pressure being too high?

Not necessarily Nacho, today's 12Z UKMO at T+120 is very similar to last night's FAX chart for the similar time period, which modelled these troughs moving westward, despite pressure being relatively high.

We shall see what the Fax charts show later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

It's nearly dark here too (in dublin 18), looking forward to my drive home south on the N11....I can smell the snow!!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

oh dear.. thats an earlier start to the interesting part of my n11 trip north.
    I was hoping I wouldn't run into bother untill on my way back in a couple of hours..

Just bring the flares & if your in trouble ill come get ya

Trogdor - we might get to do the flares yet :D

Also it is still possible to get heavyish showers in such a flow at 1030 or so and it's going to be 1022 or thereabouts!
    I've seen heavy rain showers pop out of nowhere on the irish sea here at that pressure.
    It's against it but possible.

Meanwhile here shower clouds are closer and despite a strong wind off the sea now,it's -0.4c and the washing is frozen :pac:

dp is -3.8c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just had a heavy snow shower in south kerry. Gave everything a light dusting and its getting dark here again.

Even Valentia Observatory is reporting recent snow on met.ie. Very unusual considering how far south it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Some powdery flakes falling in Greystones now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

Su Campu wrote: »
    99% sure

Sorry Su Campu do you reckon it will get as far as maynooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

say this and you will get snow.

Home home in the late-night
    and away away in the half-life
    except Saturday crushed by the boring
    until played and plagued by the tourists again

when once you had believed it
    now you see it's sucking you in

to string you along with the pretense
    and pave the way for the coming release

alone and prone in the half-light
    and late late to the real-life
    if you find a way into the gold rush
    you will stay until the morning comes

you can normalize
    don't it make you feel alive

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Out as far as 180 hours on the 12Z GFS and still very cold, widespread -3c to -7c.

i've been afraid to look at the models in fi lately because i know this is likely to end sooner rather than later. a couple of days of milder weather would be okay if the cold then returned. in saying that i appreciate that there are quite a few who want to see the mild weather take over completely.
    however, our wishes do not matter it will be as it will be.

• Advertisement

jenzz wrote: »
    Just bring the flares & if your in trouble ill come get ya

Trogdor - we might get to do the flares yet :D
    Did I tell you I'm the spit of Tomasz schafernaker :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement