Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

Nice dusting of snow on the roads and footpaths here now and I doubt it will thaw tonight even here at sea level..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

SeaFields wrote: »
    Just had a heavy snow shower in south kerry. Gave everything a light dusting and its getting dark here again.

Even Valentia Observatory is reporting recent snow on met.ie. Very unusual considering how far south it is.

lots of cloud out into the atlantic here in Kerry, had a sleet shower earlier but thats all ... most of the stuff is out to sea i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Philcan

Su Campu wrote: »
    Here I go again, but there is a distinct circulation forming off the coast of Norway today which looks symmetrical enough to have good potential for a polar low. The ingredients seem to be there, so definitely one to keep an eye on this evening. :)

Only problem is that if it does form, it'll probably have run its life before reaching us :mad:

I meant to say that during the Radio 1 forecast just before 12 last night that Met Eireann made reference to a possible Polar Low (i.e your original PL) touching the West coast last night/early morning. So you weren't far off.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

jenzz wrote: »
    Just bring the flares & if your in trouble ill come get ya

Trogdor - we might get to do the flares yet :D

Haha indeed:p stay safe if you're goin out BB!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

National Forecast

05 January 2010 16:08

Today

Wintry showers in the north and west will become more isolated and confined mainly to north Ulster. Showers arriving on eastern coasts will become more frequent, and renewed snowfall will occur in east Leinster before morning. Fresh northeast winds will increase strong at times in the east and southeast. Lowest temperatures of +1 to -5 degrees, with widespread severe frost and ice.

Tomorrow

On Wednesday, further wintry showers will occur in eastern, northern and northwest coastal counties, with further snowfall in places. Elsewhere it'll be dry with sunny spells. Winds will be fresh northeasterly and it'll stay bitterly cold; highest temperatures of zero to +4 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Philcan wrote: »
    I meant to say that during the Radio 1 forecast just before 12 last night that Met Eireann made reference to a possible Polar Low (i.e your original PL) touching the West coast last night/early morning. So you weren't far off.:)

ist a pity it wouldnt just come south!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

IT IS SNOWING!! :D Just north of Cork city 60m above sea level we just had a small shower of snow! This is the first bit of snow we have had since the beginning of the cold snap, except a few flakes falling for about 30 seconds. WOOHOOO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

wushu wrote: »
    Looking out over Wicklow harbor there is a very dark cloud about to make landfall here:cool: snow blowing in the wind still even before the shower hits us:D snow getting heavy now:cool:
    Dumped its load south of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Did I tell you I'm the spit of Tomasz schafernaker :p

hhhhhaaaaaaaa hhhhhhhhhaaaaaa

funny ! PMSL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

is it just me or can nobody else zoom in on the map on raintoday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

jambofc wrote: »

They have disabled zooming and panning due to high usage on the site

oh dear.. thats an earlier start to the interesting part of my n11 trip north.
    I was hoping I wouldn't run into bother untill on my way back in a couple of hours..
    There is no real intensity and I think you're ok for outward trip......on gritted roads

jambofc wrote: »

no me neither - i broke it last night with continuous zoom in & out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Cian92 wrote: »
    IT IS SNOWING!! :D Just north of Cork city 60m above sea level we just had a small shower of snow! This is the first bit of snow we have had since the beginning of the cold snap, except a few flakes falling for about 30 seconds. WOOHOOO!

Can you let me know where North of the City please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Come on wind change direction! Currently 1/-3 here according to johnstown castle which isn't that far away from me.

If the clouds and showers keep bubbling up like they are when the wind changes were in for a real treat! :pac:

I just jinxed it didn't i :o

baraca wrote: »
    Come on wind change direction! Currently 1/-3 here according to johnstown castle which isn't that far away from me.

If the clouds and showers keep bubbling up like they are when the wind changes were in for a real treat! :pac:

I just jinxed it didn't i :o

There should be a "Damn You" option instead of "Thanks" for this !!! ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Just snowed a little coming back from Kilcoole into Greystones. Looked more coming from Bray head. It was just a very small amount but it was all sitting on the road.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I'm still not convinced the wind will change anytime in the near future - I just can't see where the NE will come from? Somebody convince me! Has been stuck NW here all day.

-1.7c DP -2.9c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

t|nt|n wrote: »
    There should be a "Damn You" option instead of "Thanks" for this !!! ;):p

Nah, What i meant was i can't see the wind changing direction at all looks like were in for a non event with temps climbing up to at least +6 and heavy rain spreading from the irish sea later tonight.
    :pac:

Nah, What i meant was i can't see the wind changing direction at all looks like were in for a non event with temps climbing up to at least +6 and heavy rain spreading from the irish sea later tonight.

*mutter*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

now thats wat I call a jinx lol :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

not a cloud in the sky in ashford wicklow at the minute :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

i still do not see how anything is hitting the east coast in the coming hours, the radar hasn't much on it. What am i missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

just thought i would cheer myself up and show ye a picture of a snowman we built last Feb 2009!! was hoping to create something similar this time round except it seems the snow wants to see other parts of the country!!;)

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced the wind will change anytime in the near future - I just can't see where the NE will come from? Somebody convince me! Has been stuck NW here all day.

-1.7c DP -2.9c

& here. Trog is it stuck ??

Bitter Temp: .8; Dp:- 3.3 Windchill: -2.2 - Pink clouds in my front garden blue sky in myback .... bring it on

DOCARCH wrote: »

-1.7c DP -2.9c
    They are veering slowly but surely.
    M2 was 10deg, now 20deg
    Also Dp falling there -1.5C

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just a note; I cannot access my pms since early this morning... So if I owe anyone that is why. Best to email me at anchoresscj at yahoo dot com. That address has extra formidable spam/abuse protection also as I use it for my weblogs etc also.

Fellow- knitter- a wonderful way to pass a snowy day.

Min; take care of your hands; I have raynuads so fully aware of that dreadful pain.
    Farmers are doing an amazing job out there. Hoping it all eases for you soon. It will pass. Always does; always has done.

Off to soak feet in hot water...

Have a good snow watch one and all.

The quality of it was different today. Good snowman snow; but too cold for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

Asolutely bucketing snow now down here in greystones, its stuck on road and grass about 5cm now ,,yippppppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

It's -2.0 in south kilkenny now so if by some miracle snow does fall tonight, it should stick!! there was snoe within 10 miles of me last night and it missed me, i can see it in the fields in the distance!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

eskimocat wrote: »
    just thought i would cheer myself up and show ye a picture of a snowman we built last Feb 2009!! was hoping to create something similar this time round except it seems the snow wants to see other parts of the country!!;)

lol, very noble looking snowman!

I see he had his head tilted skywards too, like all of us now. Matter of life or death for him though! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement