Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

baraca wrote: »
    Come on wind change direction! Currently 1/-3 here according to johnstown castle which isn't that far away from me.

:pac: just thinking of the butterfly effect.... how about getting someone in uk to run around in the their garden flapping arms....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Mothman wrote: »
    They are veering slowly but surely.
    M2 was 10deg, now 20deg
    Also Dp falling there -1.5C

That's like music to my ears

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

jenzz wrote: »
    & here. Trog is it stuck ??

Bitter Temp: .8; Dp:- 3.3 Windchill: -2.2 - Pink clouds in my front garden blue sky in myback .... bring it on

Still no change here, stuck NW but the change is coming:) certainly the upper winds are just east of north i think which is why some of the showers are just starting to graze the coast in places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

Asolutely bucketing snow now down here in greystones, its stuck on road and grass about 5cm now ,,yippppppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    looking at greystones from wicklow the sky looks clear?

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced the wind will change anytime in the near future - I just can't see where the NE will come from? Somebody convince me! Has been stuck NW here all day.

-1.7c DP -2.9c
    well it's deffo NE here now as it's coming from the Ballymoyle/Britas bay direction as opposed to avoca/lug direction.
    My weather station where it is won't catch much wind unless it veers south or theres a hurricane :pac:

-0.6c now dp -3.6c

Right I'm off.
    Will recant tales of my journey later [hopefully!].

• Advertisement

eskimocat wrote: »
    :pac: just thinking of the butterfly effect.... how about getting someone in uk to run around in the their garden flapping arms....:D

And face all the cattle and sheep west so their farts blow eastwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Asolutely bucketing snow now down here in greystones, its stuck on road and grass about 5cm now ,,yippppppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    how long has it been snowing in greystones?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

It's -2.0 in south kilkenny now so if by some miracle snow does fall tonight, it should stick!! there was snoe within 10 miles of me last night and it missed me, i can see it in the fields in the distance!!!

:mad::mad::mad:
    At least you can see it, I have to watch it on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

manonmir wrote: »
    i still do not see how anything is hitting the east coast in the coming hours, the radar hasn't much on it. What am i missing?

It was weird. Nothing on the way to Tesco's in Kilcoole then noticed on the way back Bray head looking a bit misty. All of a sudden loads of large flakes falling then it stopped. Huge very high dark clouds still sitting out at sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

from north dublin coast :
    clouds to the east(out to sea) and clouds to the south - wicklow mountains area... clouds to the far far west (midlands director) blue skies above dublin city

• Advertisement

ciaran67 wrote: »
    It was weird. Nothing on the way to Tesco's in Kilcoole then noticed on the way back Bray head looking a bit misty. All of a sudden loads of large flakes falling then it stopped. Huge very high dark clouds still sitting out at sea.
    me thinks with the wind being strong etc the snowflakes are being blown onshore ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

200motels wrote: »
    At least you can see it, I have to watch it on TV.

Drive about 20 miles north and you can see it!!! another 10 miles east and you'll be in it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

wushu wrote: »
    me thinks with the wind being strong etc the snowflakes are being blown onshore ?

Yea could be. Not got 5cm like Royalflush was saying. Me thinks hes on the pipe again. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

well it's deffo NE here now as it's coming from the Ballymoyle/Britas bay direction as opposed to avoca/lug direction.
    My weather station where it is won't catch much wind unless it veers south or theres a hurricane :pac:

-0.6c now dp -3.6c

Right I'm off.

Safe drive

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Yea could be. Not got 5cm like Royalflush was saying. Me thinks hes on the pipe again. :D
    lol:rolleyes: those ominus clouds are still out at sea taunting us we still have that dusting of snow from the shower earlier on the roads and footpaths but its a very small dusting..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

manonmir wrote: »
    i still do not see how anything is hitting the east coast in the coming hours, the radar hasn't much on it. What am i missing?

As was explained earlier the cold air will cause convection in the irish sea creating showers and when the wind veers north east it will blow them on land.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I'm suddenly imagining a TV3 spin off of Discovery Channel's Stormchasers series, expect it's set in Ireland and instead of chasing twisters, the lads go around in a hiace chasing snow showers. Sponsered by Maltesers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Had my first frost related fall today! :rolleyes: I learned a valuable lesson today, never kick a piece of broken ice while standing on a path that resembles a sheet of glass! Flat on my ass!! :D

Anyway, air temp here of -0.4c and a DP of -2.1c. Wind NNW.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Hello all!

Still stranded here in Dublin :D

Can anyone tell me what are the current weather conditions in Donegal?

Also what's forecast tonight for Dublin!

Just have to make a point here, Dublin city council came down our road here today to wash the street, now we have three cars gone off the street as it froze over practically straight away....:eek:

What was the point in that? Should they not have been gritting it??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

500!!!

Missed by 1!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Right I'm off.

I suspect you are not the only weather person on here who could do with recanting their tales before they recount them :D

Long time cold weather lurker here, thanks to all the regulars for some great entertainment :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

JonnyM wrote: »
    how long has it been snowing in greystones?????

many years now usually in the winter time and the odd spring day but usually winter, i hope this answers your question , if u have any more questions about greystones weather ,doesnt matter how stupid they are (like above question), please dont hesitate to ask........:rolleyes:

many years now usually in the winter time and the odd spring day but usually winter, i hope this answers your question , if u have any more questions about greystones weather ,doesnt matter how stupid they are (like above question), please dont hesitate to ask........:rolleyes:
    they still have that snow making machine there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭scotchy

500!!!

Missed by 1!!!

Awwww, Just missed:D

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

weres this trough polar low that was suposed to be coming! never came ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

GavinH wrote: »
    Can you let me know where North of the City please.

Tower.

owenc wrote: »
    weres this trough polar low that was suposed to be coming! never came ever!

I think you answered your own question there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I'm suddenly imagining a TV3 spin off of Discovery Channel's Stormchasers series, expect it's set in Ireland and instead of chasing twisters, the lads go around in a hiace chasing snow showers. Sponsered by Maltesers.

And starring Pat Shortt as Gerry Murphy :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I'm finding it hard to figure out if your being sarcastic or a bit harsh, I hope it's the former!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

wushu wrote: »
    looking at greystones from wicklow the sky looks clear?

can't see the sky, half of the town burried under snow after the avalanche that came down from bray head

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement