Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

wouldnt be any fun without the banter:D

I think there is a realisation that we are entering a snow lull now for most of us for the next few days - there is nothing of interest on the horizon, unless as Su pointed out earlier, an anomaly out of the blue, like a polar low to the North or North east forms over a few hours and catches the forecasters out. May as well have a bit o' banter in the meantime! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Is the side banter really damaging the integrity of the forecasts and reports? Gives the thread a bit more character when i have to go reading through the new 4 or 5 pages i just missed because i sneezed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

I am finding it hard to get info over the last twenty pages :P Anyone want to fill me in whats now expected for Dublin city centre area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

owenc wrote: »
    Well i do not agree with that as this is a forum were you discuss things and it would be annoying everytime you post having to post a lecture just to post!

Yeah the weather forum not the cuckoos nest. You don't have to post a lecture just talk about the current weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

baraca wrote: »
    Has anybody got a site or a chart that shows wind speed and direction?

For current conditions:

http://www.irelandsweather.com

For forecast charts I use this:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc

...and the 12Z GFS charts seem to show that the winds will stay northerly until around midnight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 krobo

baraca wrote: »
    Has anybody got a site or a chart that shows wind speed and direction?

http://www.irelandsweather.com/index.php

the map has an option to change icons to wind direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Hello all
    That low is starting to turn into south wales and west england now, so the winds should start turning more northeast very soon, lets hope the Irish Sea comes to life quick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

200motels wrote: »
    How reliable is this chart for 3am tomorrow?

The GFS was showing precip for the south coast area early this morning and it ended up dying out well before that so I wouldn't put too much faith in the GFS precip charts. However there is better support from some of the other models for precip in the southeast overnight and tomorrow morning, mostly wexford/wicklow though, unlikely the showers will get as far as Waterford but ya never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

personally i think the prolonged cold has made people somewhat irrate and irrational. from arguments about ireland being part of the british isles to lunatics screaming their lungs out down in cork begging the question, will it snow , will it snow, will it snow.

britain does snow better anyways, like most other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Stevek101 wrote: »
    I am finding it hard to get info over the last twenty pages :P Anyone want to fill me in whats now expected for Dublin city centre area.

Lots of yellow snow about 2am in the morning. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

roryc1 wrote: »
    Hello all
    That low is starting to turn into south wales and west england now, so the winds should start turning more northeast very soon, lets hope the Irish Sea comes to life quick :)

the radar loop shows the showers moving from the NNE whereas they were moving NNW earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

It will hit the very far south east early in the morning but wont track very far inland, so im afraid Waterford and South Kilkenny will miss out as usual:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

The GFS was showing precip for the south coast area early this morning and it ended up dying out well before that so I wouldn't put too much faith in the GFS precip charts. However there is better support from some of the other models for precip in the southeast overnight and tomorrow morning, mostly wexford/wicklow though, unlikely the showers will get as far as Waterford but ya never know.
    This one gives me a little hope. What do you think?

prec_nordeuro-22.gif

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wind at M2 bouy has backed from 20 to 10 degrees of north! :(

-1.9c DP -2.9c

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Latest taf from Dublin airport ugrades the snow chances.

EIDW 051700Z 0518/0618 34012KT 9999 FEW010 FEW018CB
    BECMG 0521/0524 36015KT
    BECMG 0600/0603 01017G27KT
    PROB40
    TEMPO 0600/0606 3000 SHSN BKN005 SCT016CB
    TEMPO 0606/0616 3000 SHSN BKN006 SCT015CB

Thats a moderate chance of snow showers from midnight to 4PM tomorrow afternoon.
    No mention of rain or sleet, or light, its an upgrade. The showers are being pushed back though by this northerly thats refusing to become an North Easterly

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100105/12/09/prectypeuktopo.png

so what does this chart mean,

does it mean there is snow or rain, or is it if condtions are right then it could snow or rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Promising that a few showers are already showing up in the East..

The strongest NE'lys are not forecast until around 6am so it could be another late snowshift for the die hards. I reckon the irish sea will come to life later on and give most in the east a nice covering by morning:)

Wind speed/direction at 6am
    Rtavn189.png

850's
    Rtavn182.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Bray area is about to get something.

Web_radar.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 MammyNotSpammy

So, snow in Dublin tonight yea or nay??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Wind at M2 bouy has backed from 20 to 10 degrees of north! :(

-1.9c DP -2.9c
    Have faith, it will veer.
    What you failed to mention was the Dp at M2 bouy dropping to -3.1C!

• Advertisement

99.9% yea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Rougies wrote: »
    Bray area is about to get something.

Web_radar.gif

There was 1 or 2 flakes floating about 10 min ago ( literly 1 / 2) lol nothing since. Trog you showing anything down there ???

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

roryc1 wrote: »
    Hello all

happy day ahead when it does :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

jenzz wrote: »
    There was 1 or 2 flakes floating about 10 min ago ( literly 1 / 2) lol nothing since. Trog you showing anything down there ???
    Haven't seen anything yet but I'll keep an eye on the lampost;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mothman wrote: »

I know, I know....just getting frustrated having spent the day basically on the internet (while doing very little work)!

oh.....Dublin AP has backed to WNW at 1730

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I know, I know....just getting frustrated having spent the day basically on the internet (while doing very little work)!

oh.....Dublin AP has backed to WNW at 1730
    We're all in the same club :D

1.0/-3.5Catm
    Max so far today 2.4C which would be 4th lowest in my 10 year record if not exceeded by 9am in morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Mothman wrote: »
    What you failed to mention was the Dp at M2 bouy dropping to -3.1C!

That is some drop alright, now lets get that wind to change and we are on,
    for dublin and the east anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

i really don't see where it's coming from. Everything is breaking up before it hits the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Rougies wrote: »
    99.9% yea :)

Any timeframe? I'd love a snowfight tonight :P

• Advertisement

i really don't see where it's coming from. Everything is breaking up before it hits the east.

Seriously, the answers are on this page even!
    Edit....well the previous page :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement