Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

seriously where is the snow going to come from? i can't see it. it just can't appear out of thin air!

It's from the convective showers forming over the irish sea, they're only forming now.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markens2

Any chance of snow in Leixlip area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

trogdor wrote: »
    Moderate snow falling now and sticking!
    wicklow town getting moderate snow also :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

seriously where is the snow going to come from? i can't see it. it just can't appear out of thin air!
    Looks like they will have to ship it over from the UK as they have more than enough to go around.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lake-derived-snow.svg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

pretty amazing chart from ECM...
    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/run/ECM1-168.GIF

High has retrogessed back to Iceland, light winds all the way from Scandinavia and a Low out in the Atlantic waitng in the wings to undercut the block and setup a mighty battle, that would setup an 80's style snowfall

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Clear skies over D15 at the moment. The only thing that would make this weather palatable would be a decent dump of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

As i explained to you already the cold air will travel down the irish sea causing convection which will in turn create showers which will then be blown onto land by the north-easterly wind.

trogdor wrote: »
    Moderate snow falling now and sticking!

Stopped again now:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

It's called atmospheric convection and you can get a fair idea here:

http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/classes/met130/notes/chapter2/atm_conv3.html

Or better, here:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/science/creating/first_steps/atmos_convection.html

Long story short, we owe it to a very cold airmass over the Irish Sea which is relatively warm (and hence, the water evaporates from the sea as a warm updraught). Add northeasterly winds to this and have a look at the animation below, paying attention to what happens between Dublin Bay and Mourne mountains:

http://www.sat24.com/gb

Get it? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

its moved to greystones lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

baraca wrote: »
    As i explained to you already the cold air will travel down the irish sea causing convection which will in turn create showers which will then be blown onto land by the north-easterly wind.

"appear from thin air" an attempt at humour

markens2 wrote: »
    Any chance of snow in Leixlip area?

Im up in Lucan, Su Campu said 99.9% chance. :)
    Im waiting too for more snow, watching the streetlights for flakes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Snowing lightly in Greystones, Co. Wicklow for the lat 30mins. It is sticking and there is a light dusting of snow. It would need to continue for a number of hours for an significant coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Snowshoe Sam

Snowing here, very lightly but snow all the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

"appear from thin air" an attempt at humour

Ahhh i see.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Good to see as was pointed out earlier that the clouds seem to be surviving as they travel across Scotland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Nothin here in Dundalk.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Good to see as was pointed out earlier that the clouds seem to be surviving as they travel across Scotland...

Indeed - encouraging. -2.2c here now, DP -3.2c. My cloud came and went but can still see cloud to my east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

:D:D:D
    OMG that weather forcast was the best ever! snow snow snow for us yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Not a great forecast from Jean Byrne there. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Elnin09

Looks like the east is in for some snow over the next few days according to the RTE Forecast. :D

Snowing again here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

3 red triangles for the east coast on that forecast. :P

Weekend looked good too didnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Snowshoe Sam

Whoo-hoo! Warning triangles and dark grey snow cloud symbols for East coast on Met Eireanns forecast just now!

(*keeping fingers crossed it's too late to jinx this with the "whoo-hoo-ing" :D)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

A lovely sight there on the weather : 3 Red Triangles down the east cost !:D

If the winds turn on Thursday the North West , West Coast could be in for fun although she did say it does not look like happening at the moment .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Was Jean in her party frock? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Dubs_Fan

Agreed it was a good forecast for the eastern counties.................but what made it even better was Jean's dress :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

3 red triangles for the east coast on that forecast. :P

Weekend looked good too didnt it?

Great forecast for the east. Nice covering tonight/tomorrow, followed by little top up every now and then in the coming days with no thaw in sight. Perfect :D

I'd take that over a foot of snow followed by a thaw any day :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement