Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Nice bit of activity in Derry and Donegal
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/
    In the last half hour a small line of showers also has appeared off Wicklow and Wexford. Such activity will happen increasingly as the night goes on so keep an eye on the radars. As Deep Easterly will testify, a shower can develop very quickly and catch you unawares.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Very negative in here now :rolleyes: think i'll head to play call of duty for a few hours be back round twelve see what's up then.

Still crystal clear here. Logging of for a while. I hope when I come back we ALL have snow and are happy :):D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

owenc wrote: »
    Are you calling me an idiot!:mad: When did i tell you not to share your opinions or are you talking about the few users back a page?:D

don't think that was aimed at you Owen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

Seems to be lots of activity in the north now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Weres that i would love to go there aslong as its in the weather section!!:D
    For anyone that wants to let off a bit of steam
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1193

Now can we please try and stay on topic and get along, it is just the weather after all:) this is a warning, bans will start flying if things get riled up again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Seems to be lots of activity in the north now!

considering a few people have mentioned this i must look i bet yeh its just hail as usual......... just checked seems to be nothing here probably went east to antrim again... As for the showers why do they keep falling as graupely hail here through the day upto about 12 am then onwards they are snow to about 10am this is constantly happening here is it nighttime temps or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Are you calling me an idiot!:mad: When did i tell you not to share your opinions or are you talking about the few users back a page?:D

I never called anyone an idiot. I refered to those who think that just because someone elses views are not as optimistic as their own, that they should not be allowed to express them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Up Wickla and the sneachta.

That is all.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The M2 buoy wind direction as of 7pm has gone from 360 to 10 to 20 to 10 and now she is at 30 (NNE) :D

although DP has risen to 0.3, temp is has also risen to 5.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

yogidc26 wrote: »
    It snowing in Wicklow and we are on the east:D
    The M2 buoy wind direction as of 7pm has gone from 360 to 10 to 20 to 10 and now she is at 30 (NNE) :D

although DP has risen to 0.3, temp is has also risen to 5.1

Game on east coast!
    Seriously too much panicking going on, winds in place now wait..they will come!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Lightly snowing again here for the past 15-20 mins by the way guys:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

-5 at casement.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Seems to be pepping up out in the Irish sea looking at the latest radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Can someone remind me what type of setup gave the east it's snow in Feb 2009?

Get little more than 1cm here in Swords that time around, but other parts of Dublin did pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

I didn't see this evening's forecast but I suspect from what I've read on here that Jean Byrne mentioned the risk of further snowfall for Eastern areas?

Firstly, with regard to the present evolution, if we look at the UKMO Radar imagery for 20.00 Hours tonight, it's quite clear that the winds are not only Northeasterly, but bands of precipitation are now beginning to develop in the Irish Sea upon the Northwestern flank of the area of low pressure:

uk_radar_201001052000.gif

ECMWF 12Z has held firm with regarding the snowfall risk overnight tonight:

Wednesday 00.00

100105_1200_12.png

Wednesday 06.00

100105_1200_18.png

Wednesday 12.00

100105_1200_24.png

Now, while the above charts are not to be taken as a guarantee, they should be fairly accurate at this point - T+12. Therefore, there appears to be a solid risk of further snowfall tonight in Eastern & Southeastern areas. Things should really begin to intensify - shower activity - at around 00.00 onwards..

Looking further to the end of the week, a very potent Easterly to Northeasterly flow is modelled. 850mb temperatures will reach -10 to -11 in Eastern & Southeastern areas into Saturday & with a deep cold pool moving Westward over the Irish Sea, as I said last night, there is bound to be a risk of snowfall.

The latest ECMWF 12Z run does not model any risk of snowfall in Western areas on Thursday, however this is still uncertain.

Here are the snowfall risk charts for later in the week:

100105_1200_108.png

100105_1200_120.png

Summary

In summary, remaining bitterly cold for the next 5 Days at least - exceptionally cold 850mb temperatures towards Saturday, making for a bitterly cold windchill. A further risk of snow showers, mainly in Eastern and Southeastern areas.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Almost a total white out here in Gorey.

francosp wrote: »
    Seems to be pepping up out in the Irish sea looking at the latest radar.

It does for the southeast. There's no eastern winds to blow it east. i am watching the formations in the north hoping they will drop into Meath/Dublin there's one heading straight for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Fear Sneachta

snowing lightly in Bray now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

-5 at casement.

and +5 in Belmullet ...that's quite a gradient

• Advertisement

Thanks Snowaddict, just what we needed to hear at this stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

It does for the southeast. There's no eastern winds to blow it east. i am watching the formations in the north hoping they will drop into Meath/Dublin there's one heading straight for me!

Thats what I've been looking at too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Streamers FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Weird. Not seeing that weather warning on met.ie re. 3-4cm in east Leinster. Anyone got a link?

Anyway, whatever comes tonight here will be on top of the light covering we got last night which was on top of the stuff we got at new years (d15 here).

There's been little or no melt in between each of these 'events' here. Which is the first time in my memory that's happened over such prolonged periods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

i'm talking dublin/meath. the wicklow showers are dying out. they have been building up all day and are dying out. There's nothing building up on the irish sea to replace it.
    Bray is half dublin half wicklow & snowing here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Snowaddict wrote: »
    The latest ECMWF 12Z run does not model any risk of snowfall in Western areas on Thursday, however this is still uncertain.

SA :)
    Thanks for that SA. Been looking at that closely since the weekend. The models are in general agreement that the front will slide down the west coast and will deliver little or no precip. It is such a close run thing at this stage. I would imagine if that High to the NW is affected in any way in the meantime, it will have a bearing on the atlantic system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Wibbler wrote: »
    Can someone remind me what type of setup gave the east it's snow in Feb 2009?

Get little more than 1cm here in Swords that time around, but other parts of Dublin did pretty well.

Very similar to tonights setup except we seem to be about 1.5c colder now. Therefore, there should be much more snow settling in coastal areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Temps here 0/-3 perfect! Streamers and showers developing and reports of heavy snow in gorey.... But irish weather network has my wind direction at a moderate NW 22Kn and so does irish weather network?? Weird and annoying.

EDIT: The M2 buoy is showing a NE of 44Kn!! :D Game on

LookingFor wrote: »
    Weird. Not seeing that weather warning on met.ie re. 3-4cm in east Leinster. Anyone got a link?

Anyway, whatever comes tonight here will be on top of the light covering we got last night which was on top of the stuff we got at new years (d15 here).

There's been little or no melt in between each of these 'events' here. Which is the first time in my memory that's happened over such prolonged periods.

Met.ie keeps changing thier warnings, i don't know why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Fear Sneachta

LookingFor wrote: »

The warning has disappeared, maybe they are upgrading it!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement