Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Was a quick heavy shower here in Gorey that has left a very nice covering, didn't last too long though, hopefully the first of many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

baraca wrote: »
    Temps here 0/-3 perfect! Streamers and showers developing and reports of heavy snow in gorey.... But irish weather network has my wind direction at a moderate NW 22Kn and so does irish weather network?? Weird and annoying.

EDIT: The M2 buoy is showing a NE of 44Kn!! :D Game on
    Land readings are at 10m height, but the winds driving the showers are already veering towards NE, so don't be concerned with land wind directions

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Looking further to the end of the week, a very potent Easterly to Northeasterly flow is modelled. 850mb temperatures will reach -10 to -11 in Eastern & Southeastern areas into Saturday & with a deep cold pool moving Westward over the Irish Sea, as I said last night, there is bound to be a risk of snowfall.

I may just be imagining this, but everytime Easterly / NE has been forecast during this spell, the actually airflow has tended to be more northerly.

A proper 90deg east flow would be nice, for a change. Probably need a Scandi high for that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

2-4cm was hardly severe weather, maybe they are gonna replaceit with something more juicy though!

Temp and dew point rising a little here, a sure sign the winds are becoming more maritime, this bodes well.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

The warning has disappeared, maybe they are upgrading it!!!!

or downgrading it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

i'm talking dublin/meath. the wicklow showers are dying out. they have been building up all day and are dying out. There's nothing building up on the irish sea to replace it.

ive said it before,for us in meath to get snow in this setup we need precip to form between the hook of N.I and the isle of man,it is slowly starting and given that met.ie are saying it will be 12ish tonight onwards before this happen's things are looking good for us and the east coast.
    ive been waiting 3 week's and im not giveing up yet,patience all if it happen's it happen's if it doesnt i'll be f#####g stone mad :pac:
    things are looking good though!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Supercell wrote: »
    Temp and dew point rising a little here, a sure sign the winds are becoming more maritime, this bodes well.

Ditto - up to -2.0c now, DP -2.9c. Thicker cloud rolling in.

The warning has disappeared, maybe they are upgrading it!!!!
    :eek:

Well it was 2-4cm for east, lets see what it'll come back as

2-4cm was hardly severe weather, maybe they are gonna replaceit with something more juicy though!

2-4cm is enough to make a very messy commute in morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

Coastal areas of the northside might be about to get hit by a clump of showers. The Irish Sea is springing to life. :D

2020radar.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Wibbler wrote: »
    I may just be imagining this, but everytime Easterly / NE has been forecast during this spell, the actually airflow has tended to be more northerly.

A proper 90deg east flow would be nice, for a change. Probably need a Scandi high for that though.

Very much agree with you there, it's been the case the last two times unfortunately and a contrast with February 2009.

However, at the end of the week, it does look like we will indeed have a very strong Scandinavian High, with winds backing progressively more due Easterly all of the time, certainly more Easterly in nature than they are now if the current Guidance is correct.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭hawkwing

3-5cm now on Aertel at 2030 update,always have updates fastest there.
    http://www.rte.ie/aertel/163-02.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Im still holding out for a freak event that leaves us unable to get to work tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Snowshoe Sam

View from window about 10 mins ago....

4249131030_c4d936057c.jpg

All quiet again now though. :rolleyes:

Snowing lightly here again . Lubbly jubbly
    H'up Wickla!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭revr

Mon the Irish sea streamers I can see even to sw scotland a gravy train may erupt

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Benincasa

Snow started here in Deansgrange, south ounty Dublin 2 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Latest sat showing the convection in the irish sea
    101052.jpg
    courtesy of dundee satellite receiving station
    http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/auth.html

According to this, it should be snowing now but it's not :confused:

2035radar.png

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Thanks for that SA. Been looking at that closely since the weekend. The models are in general agreement that the front will slide down the west coast and will deliver little or no precip. It is such a close run thing at this stage. I would imagine if that High to the NW is affected in any way in the meantime, it will have a bearing on the atlantic system.

No problem.

Indeed, only a very slight shift could well bring the system onshore - significant for Western areas but it only requires a small change in the large scale pattern.

Certainly one to watch.

SA :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Snowing heavy right now if the wind stays at that direction NE looking at 6 to 8cm before morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭haines35

snowing in drogheda now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Dubs_Fan

It does for the southeast. There's no eastern winds to blow it east. i am watching the formations in the north hoping they will drop into Meath/Dublin there's one heading straight for me!

hey there butcher boy.....where in meath are ya

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

I use this for wind forecast for windsurfing. Always fairly accurate.

http://www.windguru.com/int/index.php?sc=4862

Winds turning more northeasterly for dublin tom at 12.

Apart from the nice fall on new years eve and a flurry last night I'v been dissapointed we haven't has more snow in the east. Met E have been spot on IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

hawkwing wrote: »
    3-5cm now on Aertel at 2030 update,always have updates fastest there.
    http://www.rte.ie/aertel/163-02.html

Well it's better than 2-4 :D They seem to keep upgrading it the closer it gets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

the north is certainly springing to life too

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

with the snow that is falling in parts of SE, is this precip chart not completely wrong?
    3hr-rain.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 36 a1m1m1o1

Lovely dirty big cloud just coming over Firhouse:D

Snowing lightly here again . Lubbly jubbly
    H'up Wickla!

Update, not light anymore, coming down good n' proper now!

H'UP WICKLA!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Are we in Clane Co Kildare likley to see any snow tonight????

• Advertisement

I could swear I just saw a flash of lightning out the window about a minute ago. Might be imagining it though. If it was, it would be slightly north of east of Howth. Also, i can hear the sea very loudly here and I am the guts of 2kms from where the waves would be crashing. Wind must be going to get bad so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement