Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I don't see it :(

Died out pretty sharpish but the bit that did fall is still on the surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Is that precip over Tipp for real? Came out of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Lots of places in England have barely received a flake until now. The West, South West, much of the South. Even Cheltenham has had practically nothing. Dublin has had more. It is a bigger area hence greater chance of precipiation overall.;)
    Swindon where I have cousins have had nothing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

Microscopic flakes have been falling in Lacken, Co. Wicklow for last 10 mins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Supercell wrote: »
    I live in Wicklow..long may it drive a little south of Dublin ..sorry!

+1 As mean as it sounds!
    ffarrell wrote: »
    Lots of places in England have barely received a flake until now. The West, South West, much of the South. Even Cheltenham has had practically nothing. Dublin has had more. It is a bigger area hence greater chance of precipiation overall.;)

Suppose it's really only getting going now, Looks that way anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 BotanyQueen

baraca wrote: »
    ME GALILEO GALILEO!!
    Galileo Figaro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭bassy

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Rathdowney.

How's the foxes over there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

There's a patch of precip over kilkenny but i think that may be the line of interference that comes from dublin to cork occasionally, anyone know for sure???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

South Dublin and North Wicklow have been getting anything that has been going so far but these showers will really have to intensify for any half decent snowfall.:(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not seeing much more for showers for here in the foreseeable future? Looking pretty clear to my north and east now.

Every flake of the last shower stuck, given surfaces are so cold.

• Advertisement

Galileo Figaro

Magnifisno :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes. It is real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

South Dublin and North Wicklow have been getting anything that has been going so far but these showers will really have to intensify for any half decent snowfall.:(

Dont think the main gig is to kick off for a while though

I've an aunt in manchester and she said the snow covers the wheels on the cars in places, especially on her side of the city. they might not have as large areas of snow, but where they have it , they have it very heavy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Magnifisno :o

Nice play on the words there :rolleyes::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

10pm report shows it was cloudy in Tipp area
    GURTEEN(A) N 05 CLOUDY 0 96 0.0 1009
    Just shows you how unpredictable things are when winds turn NE or E. The Irish Sea is bubbling up nicely now. We could be in for a very good night if you like snow.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Makes me sick looking at that mass of precip over England on the radar... and us waiting for a few crumbs over here :(

http://www.sat24.com/gb

There's a patch of precip over kilkenny but i think that may be the line of interference that comes from dublin to cork occasionally, anyone know for sure???

Looks like it pops up at 20:30 too so Id say thats not real precip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

But it's all drifting south in the NNE airflow and that stuff off Dublin is so light I wouldn't even call it a flurry!

No sign of anything here, anyway, apart from a starry sky with a few scattered clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

kleefarr wrote: »
    Do you think if we all went over to England for a day, the snow would shift over to here and we could come back the next day to a White Ireland? :rolleyes:
    We're not that far away, why do they get it all? :(

:D

It's the commonwealth kicking in:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

kleefarr wrote: »
    Do you think if we all went over to England for a day, the snow would shift over to here and we could come back the next day to a White Ireland? :rolleyes:
    We're not that far away, why do they get it all? :(

:D
    Their climate is more continental than ours as they are further east obviously, they get better summers and better winters than us, we get nothing out here in the Atlantic. Our climate is and always will be one big let down no matter what time of year it is
    example: I flew from Stansted to Dublin about two years ago, Stansted was sunny and 31c and when I arrived in Dublin it was about 16c under the usual poxy grey November sky!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Precip now from around Newport county tip to the Cork/Tipperary border.

Looks like it pops up at 20:30 too so Id say thats not real precip.

comes up quite frequently, i was really just trying to be optimistic!!!
    Thanks anyway!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Joe Public wrote: »
    It's the commonwealth kicking in:D

800 years of metrological depression!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Nothing here.

Just home!
    Had to drop someone off for their car that was parked in carrickmines and man,there was just a dusting in Enniskerry but we drove into an almighty snowstorm at carrickmines.
    I slid almost into a sign at one of the roundabouts on a totally white road and it was snowing hard.
    You couldnt see the road markings on the m50 southbound but it cleared at the Bray exit and it was just flurries then for most of the way home 'till I got south of the Arklow exit on the Arklow bypass where it started snowing hard again on what already looked like a good new cover.
    I saw that storm up ahead and a big flash of lightning from it's cloudtops so I can confirm thundersnow in south wicklow.
    Theres a beautifull crunchy powdery new covering here at home,I'd say about an inch and it's starting to get heavy again!

What more could ya want :D

comes up quite frequently, i was really just trying to be optimistic!!!
    Thanks anyway!!!

Well thats precip over Tipp now came out of nowhere so if that can happen there it can happen further east. Might get a lucky dusting yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

To keep those in the West interested - the precip for Thursday has received an upgrade from the latest GFS

http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100105/18/36/ukprec.png
    http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100105/18/36/uksnowrisk.png
    http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100105/18/36/prectypeuktopo.png
    http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100105/18/36/h850t850eu.png
    http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100105/18/36/ukwind.png

Another upgrade tomorrow (even marginal) would greatly increase the chances of significant snowfall for the western seaboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

Hey guys dont give up on the snow coming back to the East. Your time will come. Sligo had another go of it today and I thought all wed get is hail. A blanket in an hour. Thats all it took. I certainly see some snow for the East coast in the coming days and Donegal will get Scotlands residual showers

One thing I do know about snow is it is very sneaky. e.g. when I wait for it I dont see it but when I suddenly turn around its on the ground

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

a few showers developing just to the west of the Isle Of Man. won't be long now easties

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement