Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Min wrote: »
    Nothing here.

you get anything last night???

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

well its pathetic, is nt it? 40 cm of snow forecast for central england, meanwhile over here there are people praying for a few stray showers to come in off the irish sea, i mean its so sickening and disheartening. i may just have to leave the country, everthing here is always so diluted and banal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

What more could ya want :D

To be in Arklow! :o

All quietened down here now. -0.9c DP -1.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Just home!
    Had to drop someone off for their car that was parked in carrickmines and man,there was just a dusting in Enniskerry but we drove into an almighty snowstorm at carrickmines.
    I slid almost into a sign at one of the roundabouts on a totally white road and it was snowing hard.
    You couldnt see the road markings on the m50 southbound but it cleared at the Bray exit and it was just flurries then for most of the way home 'till I got south of the Arklow exit on the Arklow bypass where it started snowing hard again on what already looked like a good new cover.
    I saw that storm up ahead and a big flash of lightning from it's cloudtops so I can confirm thundersnow in south wicklow.
    Theres a beautifull crunchy powdery new covering here at home,I'd say about an inch and it's starting to get heavy again!

So that negative post earlier did the trick afterall :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Pelting down what is mostly hail atm adding another mm to depth.
    1.6/-1.3C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Just home!
    Had to drop someone off for their car that was parked in carrickmines and man,there was just a dusting in Enniskerry but we drove into an almighty snowstorm at carrickmines.
    I slid almost into a sign at one of the roundabouts on a totally white road and it was snowing hard.
    You couldnt see the road markings on the m50 southbound but it cleared at the Bray exit and it was just flurries then for most of the way home 'till I got south of the Arklow exit on the Arklow bypass where it started snowing hard again on what already looked like a good new cover.
    I saw that storm up ahead and a big flash of lightning from it's cloudtops so I can confirm thundersnow in south wicklow.
    Theres a beautifull crunchy powdery new covering here at home,I'd say about an inch and it's starting to get heavy again!

Thats mad - im on the 3rd turn off for Bray up the hill & its been going nearly constant since 630 ish... Ground , slide, car, doggie all covered & stuck.

Glad you got home - Was thinking I was gonna have to put on my "jeans" PVC frock & come rescue the Schafernaker:D

& get arrested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

mad DIY wrote: »
    Snow in Rathfarnham, snow in Rathmines, stars in Terenure:rolleyes:

yep had a snow shower here in clonskeagh about an hour ago!:D

Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ah Carriglea. I lived just across the green from you in Carrigwood for the big one in '82. I was 8 at the time. I remember walking home with little bro and the parents from the supermarket across the road from carriglea during a whiteout blizzard. We started to cross the little green to carrigwood, lost our bearings in the white out and by the time we realised where we were, we were on the green between carrigwood and glenvara near the ballycullen road!!! We'd looped around carrigwood to the green behind it without bumping into any houses or culdesacs in between. Total 100% whiteout. Us kids were tied to the parents with ropes.

theres a famine in ireland again, as we wait for the crumbs, and watch the snowfest in england

the entire weather forum crashed on me and would nt load for about 10 mins. anyone else get that???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Very jealous BB!

Still nothing here, think I'm a bit too west and a bit too north. All these showers seem to getting south Dublin, Wicklow...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Boards heading for overload ? Anyone else noticed it behaving strangely ? For the last few minutes it was just giving me posts up to 22:40, and suddenly decided to reveal posts from then up to 22:48.
    edit : dispite reloading page several times.
    edit2 : now I can recent posts, I see I've been beaten to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

the entire weather forum crashed on me and would nt load for about 10 mins. anyone else get that???
    yeps i got it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

is north dublin going to miss out? not a cloud in the sky and I can see from Coolock as far as Howth/Clontarf/Sutton - Clear night and very cold

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yip

Theres no snow famine here in south wicklow a couple of miles southwest of Arklow :D

Currently snowing lightly -real powdery stuff too,it's lifting and spinning on the ground with the wind (I'll stop now :o:p:o)
    air -0.6c
    dewpoint -2.1c

im watching bbc news coverage for the rest of the night of the epic impending snowfall in england. good luck to those window watching on the east coast. may god have mercy on your souls and to all those who wait in hope for some f***ing snow.

god save the queen,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Something very hefty North-West of me although it won't be coming here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

By god its cold out there, would knock ya down:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think its game over for any snow tonight in Meath at least, looking at the way few showers have been developing there is nothing in the pipeline on the Irish sea for Meath or most of Louth. Unless there is some serious changes later on I only really see snow for South Dublin, parts of Wicklow and Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

you get anything last night???

We got about an inch of snow last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Snowing heavy here in Monaghan atm, ground completely covered.

By god its cold out there, would knock ya down:eek:

someones observent this evening!!!:rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think its game over for any snow tonight in Meath at least, looking at the way few showers have been developing there is nothing in the pipeline on the Irish sea for Meath or most of Louth. Unless there is some serious changes later on I only really see snow for South Dublin, parts of Wicklow and Wexford.

Yeah I definitely think tonight will be about Dublin South and below. As I type there is a shower of hail coming from what looks like a pretty clear sky!

Min wrote: »
    We got about an inch of snow last night.

less than 20 miles south and we got . . . none!!!
    :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

that clump to the west of the Isle of man has dublin's name written on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

However Dublin is usually considerably colder than London in Winter. Look at the daily temperatures and you will see that this is the case. When was the last time it snowed in Devon and Cornwall and Dorset? They are closer to the continent (more southerly) however when there is snow in the North and Northwest of Ireland SOUTERN England generally gets nothing which is often the case. Nevertheless if a big snowfall is going to happen it is going to hit them first as they are further East and we are more sheltered. It does seem a bit pathetic to be looking for showers to come in off the Irish sea though - scraps from John Bull's table!!!:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Wouldn't give up on meath just yet serious breeze out there

fookin shave ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

Really clear sky here. Temp -3.5c. Hoping for snow but not looking great. Hope those that get it really enjoy it!

• Advertisement

any chance that those showers in tipp head east???

I missed out on no. 1000 and no.500, but i got the next best thing, no.1111!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement