Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Theres no snow famine here in south wicklow a couple of miles southwest of Arklow :D

Currently snowing lightly -real powdery stuff too,it's lifting and spinning on the ground with the wind (I'll stop now :o:p:o)
    air -0.6c
    dewpoint -2.1c

Twas that kind of stuff that gave a dusting in Dublin yesterday morning. LOL the car was like Halleys comet going down the road trailing a mad cloud of the stuff behind it. Looked like the starship Enterprise going to warp through the windscreen. Then on the M50 larger chunks off started flying off which handly warded off the muppet in the artic who was practically trying to shove me down the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Can someone just ban IMBACKLATER? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

left the house at 8PM , could see the stars but there was a bit of cloudcover, 5 minutes later and it starts snowing lightly, 5 minutes later and we are on the way back and the snows got much heavier, by the time we got into gorey the roads were covered in white :D it stopped 5 minutes or so later when we got in the door. it had just about stopped leaving few cm ontop of everything. very fine dusty snow too, id say the roads are lethal by now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭4400kevin

just started to snow on the meath cavan border very lightly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

garytuohy wrote: »
    is north dublin going to miss out? not a cloud in the sky and I can see from Coolock as far as Howth/Clontarf/Sutton - Clear night and very cold
    Yes, sweet FA, time to call it a day and move on to the next "event"- the coming easterly which will be a non event and let down before it's even started. Hard to take isn't it- whats being called the longest cold spell for "nearly 50 years" (which I presume means 1963) and what do we have to show for it- a cm or two!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

Snow flecks in north Cork now. That wasn't forecast! :)
    Ever hopeful for a proper snow fall!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes, sweet FA, time to call it a day and move on to the next "event"- the coming easterly which will be a non event and let down before it's even started. Hard to take isn't it- whats being called the longest cold spell for "nearly 50 years" (which I presume means 1963) and what do we have to show for it- a cm or two!

Well for prolonged cold it has been exceptional and looks like lasting for another good while. Snow wise less so.

But overall, statistically it will go down as one of the very coldest winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭thomasj

Light snow falling on o'connell bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

still snowing but no real intensity to it really.. Seems to be blowing away when it lands in the wind lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Yeah I definitely think tonight will be about Dublin South and below. As I type there is a shower of hail coming from what looks like a pretty clear sky!

That has been the way alright this evening, but that was always going to be the case. From midnight on we should see the 700hPa steering wind veer more northeasterly, giving a longer sea track for convection to develop. Also, with these winds forecast to strengthen slightly too, this would push showers further inland, but also cause turbulent intensification of precipitation rates, due to convergence from land friction. So the heaviest falls won't be at the coast but a couple of miles inland.

So I see coastal coverage increase to from north of Drogheda southwards to Wexford, and inland about 20-25 miles before the showers start to die out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

yeah potential was there but what can ya do...few icy stretches! wont hold my breath for the rest of the night. Not looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

ffarrell wrote: »
    However Dublin is usually considerably colder than London in Winter. Look at the daily temperatures and you will see that this is the case. When was the last time it snowed in Devon and Cornwall and Dorset? They are closer to the continent (more southerly) however when there is snow in the North and Northwest of Ireland SOUTERN England generally gets nothing which is often the case. Nevertheless if a big snowfall is going to happen it is going to hit them first as they are further East and we are more sheltered. It does seem a bit pathetic to be looking for showers to come in off the Irish sea though - scraps from John Bull's table!!!:(:(

It isn't really pathetic be happy with what we get we don't get as much as them. It's akin to saying england is pathetic going bonkers over what they have compared to the arctic. It's all only a bit of a laugh at the end of the day some people get way too serious on here sometimes. It's the weather lads not a matter of life or death (well for most anyway)

Lighten up :D( and this post isn't aimed at you farell!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

Well for prolonged cold it has been exceptional and looks like lasting for another good while. Snow wise less so.

But overall, statistically it will go down as one of the very coldest winters.

what was the December CET?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Elnin09

Getting kinda pissed off here now waiting and waiting. Cant believe england is getting plastered and we have got barely an inch or so. Giving up on now on the thoughts of Leixlip/Lucan area getting snow tonight :mad:.

Ive always been a firm believer that snow comes when you least expect it. This waiting game is a joke !

To all who get snow tonight - enjoy it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭rameire

Athy
    temp -2.5c
    clear sky.
    I want snow, not Fair.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

RainToday told me I should have snow by now but there's nothing happening.
    Those bastards...

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Su Campu wrote: »
    That has been the way alright this evening, but that was always going to be the case. From midnight on we should see the 700hPa steering wind veer more northeasterly, giving a longer sea track for convection to develop. Also, with these winds forecast to strengthen slightly too, this would push showers further inland, but also cause turbulent intensification of precipitation rates, due to convergence from land friction.

So I see coastal coverage increase to from north of Drogheda southwards to Wexford, and inland about 20-25 miles.

Good stuff, I may have to stay up again so tonight!

What had been thought (hoped) earlier in terms of precip over Scotland doesn't seem to be the case now, seems to be dissipating over the Irish sea...

http://www.sat24.com/gb

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it could well happen that after this cold spell is over we could get a 24 or 48 hour cold snap later in the winter that could provide more snow than the pethetic amount that has falling here so far in a 3 weeks cold spell. Had close to 20cm during a 6 hour event of easterly snow showers January 4th about 2 years ago. We've just been seriously unlucky with snow during this cold spell.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

typhooner wrote: »
    what was the December CET?

CET = Central England Temperature

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

baraca wrote: »
    It isn't really pathetic be happy with what we get we don't get as much as them. It's akin to saying england is pathetic going bonkers over what they have compared to the arctic. It's all only a bit of a laugh at the end of the day some people get way too serious on here sometimes. It's the weather lads not a matter of life or death (well for most anyway)

Lighten up :D( and this post isn't aimed at you farell!)

Yeah I can't believe what those arctic w*nkers are getting! Feckin penguin scum :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

We've just had big clumps of hail here in Donabate.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

CianRyan wrote: »
    RainToday told me I should have snow by now but there's nothing happening.
    Those bastards...

What, they killed kenny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I see a tiny little shower on the radar in north kilkenny, only 20 miles south til i get snow. COME ON!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

Just had a snow shower in north Wexford- seems to have stopped for now but hopefully there is more coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

well its pathetic, is nt it? 40 cm of snow forecast for central england, meanwhile over here there are people praying for a few stray showers to come in off the irish sea, i mean its so sickening and disheartening. i may just have to leave the country, everthing here is always so diluted and banal.

This. I was living in yorkshire this time last year. Id give a limb to be there now:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Timistry wrote: »
    This. I was living in yorkshire this time last year. Id give a limb to be there now:p

couldn't ski with only 3 limbs!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭KilOit

Hail in Tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks like a shower as made it as far inland as Carlow.

I couldn't deal with the lack of mountains in Englands.

Scotland, I could live there alright.

• Advertisement

KilOit wrote: »
    Hail in Tallaght
    Which part?
    Nothing to be seen in Old Bawn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement