Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Yeah I can't believe what those arctic w*nkers are getting! Feckin penguin scum :mad:

Penguins are only found in S Hemisphere, but yes I do agree Penguins are scum.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Calibos wrote: »
    But its all hail though. I want to wake up to a snowy blanket on the ground, not the aftermath of a cat & beanbag fight. :D

no its snow alright & plenty of it... Is this the main gig does anyone know ?? She coming down thick & fast for it just to be a starter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

It's just not moving West far enough, that heavy stuff in the Irish sea. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭niginator

First post in the weather thread been following it the past couple of weeks though. A few snow flakes falling in north wicklow area again..... nice big clouds rolling in looks like we could be getting another decent snow shower!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

tis painful to see the pasting london is getting and to know my brother, who is living there, could care less about snow.

i would be estatic if there was that much snow falling here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Stopped again, but everything is white again.
    Still at -1 and I am fairly confident that there will be more.

YES!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

A dusting. It melted by about 10 in the morning

:mad:

Thats bad, I enjoyed the snow last February, none of the crap ice to spoil it. Lasted near 2 weeks.

Anyway long way to go this winter yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Su Campu wrote: »
    OK, so that there are no complaints from Met Eireann over copyright issues, I have taken tonight's 23Z TAFs on the US Air Force's site http://ows.public.sembach.af.mil/index.cfm?section=ObTAF and translated the snow forecasts in red.

DUBLIN
    EIDW 052300Z 0600/0624 34013KT 9999 FEW012 SCT018 PROB40 TEMPO 0600/0609 3000 -SHSN BKN006 SCT016CB BECMG 0601/0604 01017G28KT TEMPO 0604/0611 02020G32KT TEMPO 0609/0618 3000 -SHSN BKN006 SCT016CB BECMG 0615/0618 36012KT
    LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS FROM MIDNIGHT TO 6PM TOMORROW

KNOCK
    EIKN 052300Z 0600/0624 35008KT 9999 FEW018 PROB30 TEMPO 0600/0605 5000 -SHSN BKN008 BECMG 0616/0619 VRB03KT
    SLIGHT CHANCE OF LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS FROM MIDNIGHT TO 5AM

SHANNON
    EINN 052300Z 0600/0624 34011KT 9999 FEW010 SCT030 BECMG 0602/0605 02013KT PROB30 TEMPO 0600/0605 5000 -SHSN BKN008 BECMG 0615/0618 36008KT BECMG 0619/0622 VRB03KT
    SLIGHT CHANCE OF LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS FROM MIDNIGHT TO 5AM

CORK
    EICK 052300Z 0600/0624 33013KT 9999 SCT007 TEMPO 0600/0610 BKN007 BECMG 0601/0604 01015KT TEMPO 0605/0617 02018G29KT BECMG 0616/0619 35012KT
    NO SNOW FORECAST

Thanks Su. It is a pity that Met Eireann won't make those fantastic aviation charts and forecasts publically available like they do in other countries, as the forecasts you posted earlier based on them were pretty spot on.

http://www.jerseymet.gov.je/forecast/jersey/flight.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

trogdor wrote: »
    Getting even heavier now, decent cover, will put up a pic soon

Still going but a bit lighter
    Yours truly making a snow angel:pac::pac:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=101082&stc=1&d=1262734977
    attachment.php?attachmentid=101081&stc=1&d=1262734908

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Light shower came and went in Terenure while I wasn't looking. Gave a dusting, but not on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Now that's dedication Trogdor, cheers! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭tony1212

here is what it looks like in england at the moment

http://www.godalmingonline.com/webcams/high-street/

tis painful to see the pasting london is getting and to know my brother, who is living there, could care less about snow.

i would be estatic if there was that much snow falling here.
    Snow is only really special when it falls in your own backyard. When it falls when you are abroad it feels like its someone elses snow. Or is that just me?:o

-2C here. Light NW winds. Severe air and ground frost. Roads are just brooootall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Snowing in East Cavan right now. Wasn't supposed to reach this far west. Could be mucky in Dublin in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Snow/hail shower in Blessington now! Windy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

trogdor wrote: »
    Still going but a bit lighter
    Yours truly making a snow angel:pac::pac:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=101082&stc=1&d=1262734977
    attachment.php?attachmentid=101081&stc=1&d=1262734908

Big Kid lol

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Just a couple of sprinkles of graupel in the last couple of hours here in D13.
    It's sitting where it lands, but all in all, the northside seems to be getting very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Ursula Bracken just on RTE 1 there, mentioned 'flurries of snow continuing to affect the north and north west and also moving into the east coast from the Irish Sea' for tonight. Interestingly, the map for the day was also showing heavy dark snowy cloud over the east and south (what she has said, however, was 'some wintry showers affecting the north an the east').

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

looks like M50 North at Ballymount down to one lane!

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Snow is only really special when it falls in your own backyard. When it falls when you are abroad it feels like its someone elses snow. Or is that just me?:o

-2C here. Light NW winds. Severe air and ground frost. Roads are just brooootall

I so know what you mean!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Not just you Wolf. There is something special about getting snow/storms/extreme weather in your home place IMO. I have seem some pretty amazing weather in other places, but it does not give me the same thrill or shiver down the spine as when the same weather happens here in Galway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭niginator

Ok the snow has turned very heavy the heaviest i have seen here I think :eek:
    *double checks*
    Slight exaggeration but still plenty of snow:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nusername

Su Campu wrote: »
    OK, so that there are no complaints from Met Eireann over copyright issues, I have taken tonight's 23Z TAFs on the US Air Force's site http://ows.public.sembach.af.mil/index.cfm?section=ObTAF and translated the snow forecasts in red.
    hahaha, fair play to you Su Campu, it's ridiculous Met Eireann had a problem with it in the first place :rolleyes: Fair play for keeping it going without them.

Nice one to the rest of you amateur forecasters too, I've been glued to the forum days now...

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Snow is belting down here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i feel the same way. while it would be great to see that much snowfall anywhere, it just wouldn't feel quite the same when it's not at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

No, I feel exactly the same way. It's all about seeing your familiar streets, roads, parks, etc., all covered in that unfamiliar white blanket.

What I wouldn't give to see John Roberts Square or the hill of Ballybricken covered in snow... </dream>

Just very cold here in Snow Shield Central... car well iced over, road in the estate likewise. Car was already showing -1 around 19.45 when I got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

sorry but who picked that dress for Uresla just then... desperate.. i missed jean earlier on so I will just have to wait till tommorow for iplayer and check it then.

do rte deliberatly not do close ups of ireland, maybe by provence like TG4 do, so that they dont have to give any sort of detailed forcast. Why dont they say, well your in ireland so look out the window and you can see what the weather is like, its going to rain, be sunny, overcast with clear skys with a chance of rain/sleet or maybe even snow especiall if it is cold and it snows.

i take my weather from boards.ie as i founbd last Feb in the big snow they got it spot on, but unfortunetly it took me nearly 4 hours to get home that night but they were spot on.... keep up the good work lads & ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just spat snow here in Malahide in the last 30mins since I looked out last. Not even enough to cover the bare patches left by cars, hoping for more :)

Some activity in Mayo, Longford, Westmeath and Sligo. Nice surprise for some who thought it was going to be a clear night
    Web_radar.gif

• Advertisement

nice pics trogdor-snow scene similar here.
    just flurries down the south of the county now though.
    Lovely looking snow train off wicklow head now with a curve on it.
    Wonder where thats going?
    The convection is really taking shape out there now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement