Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

trogdor wrote: »
    Still going but a bit lighter
    Yours truly making a snow angel:pac::pac:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=101082&stc=1&d=1262734977
    attachment.php?attachmentid=101081&stc=1&d=1262734908

Thats not a great picture. Can't see your face well enough. I am going to have to test every lad that comes into the shop with a black goatee.
    Cough....Trogdor....Cough

and see do I get a flash of recognition from the lad or a look of derision...'Wha de fook you call me bud" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Had some fairly heavy hail in donabate there in the last 20 mins. More interesting is the definite pickup in the wind. Coming from the sea direction I think. Too cold to check :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Still nothing here in wexford, Don't think the winds are north-easterly enough yet. I live in hope for a bit longer though, early days yet.

(Someone please assure me it's still early days!!):p

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Snow is only really special when it falls in your own backyard. When it falls when you are abroad it feels like its someone elses snow. Or is that just me?:o

-2C here. Light NW winds. Severe air and ground frost. Roads are just brooootall

its not just you, i feel exactly the same. Iv been abroad and seen snow but its never the same as when your at home.
    still waiting here for more snow got bearly a centimeter last night:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 1635barry

hail in dublin 13:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

the wind has picked up here, i wonder is there something on the way. an unexpected snowfall would be nice again

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Elnin09

1635barry wrote: »
    hail in dublin 13:(

I'd take a hail shower at this stage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

See the scottish stuff is feeding into the Irish sea now :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Snow still going strong here for now:)
    Calibos wrote: »
    Thats not a great picture. Can't see your face well enough. I am going to have to test every lad that comes into the shop with a black goatee.

and see do I get a flash of recognition from the lad or a look of derision...'Wha de fook you call me bud" :D

Hehe you'll never catch me;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

snappy outside (here in Greystones, Wicklow). currently no precipation falling, although there has been some hail now and again which is resting on our current 1-2cm of powder snow...

According to weather report, we're to get about 5cm 2mo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Enough snow in Blessington to keep me here tomorrow now me thinks!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

Just checked outside the house, looks like there was a snow shower recently. All white but not very thick!

Not a flake in my part of Lucan. Just broken clouds ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Bucketing down here !! I love the smell of snow in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Shamo wrote: »
    Just checked outside the house, looks like there was a snow shower recently. All white but not very thick!

Nothing really up here in coolcotts looks like frost but could be a light dusting

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭niginator

red_bairn wrote: »
    snappy outside (here in Greystones, Wicklow). currently no precipation falling, although there has been some hail now and again which is resting on our current 1-2cm of powder snow...

According to weather report, we're to get about 5cm 2mo...

Thats odd just up the road in delgany we have been getting snow showers all night. Infact one right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Heavy snow, HUGE flakes :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mchammer22

hey all,enjoying the threads for weeks now! been light showers of snow here in Firhouse! Woo hoo! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts..

From a low of -3.4 °C @ 21:32 It's has been getting steadily warmer...

21:32 -3.4 °C
    21:42 -3.3 °C
    21:52 -2.9 °C
    22:02 -2.9 °C
    22:12 -2.8 °C
    22:22 -2.6 °C
    22:32 -2.6 °C
    22:42 -2.6 °C
    22:52 -2.3 °C
    23:02 -2.2 °C
    23:12 -2.2 °C
    23:22 -2.3 °C
    23:32 -2.2 °C
    23:42 -2.1 °C
    23:52 -2.0 °C

No sign of snow yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Erm I think im gonna get a bit more than 2 - 3 cm tonight..

• Advertisement

niginator wrote: »
    Thats odd just up the road in delgany we have been getting snow showers all night. Infact one right now.

yeah. been on and off with the hail, just had another shower there. Maybe we'll get sth soon...

trogdor - Heavy snow, HUGE flakes

come this way baby! :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Erm I think im gonna get a bit more than 2 - 3 cm tonight..

that's what she said.

(sorry:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 slingshot

Stop being greedy and send some to Templeogue

utter white out here now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

lashing white stuff...

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Looking towards the east coast, only a couple of minutes from where I am in Balbriggan, the wind has picked up to strong gusts of very cold breezes. Looking up at the sky, broken clouds appear to be heading in a south westerly direction with much thicker clouds following behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

kleefarr wrote: »
    Kilkenny City outskirts..

From a low of -3.4 °C @ 21:32 It's has been getting steadily warmer...

21:32 -3.4 °C
    21:42 -3.3 °C
    21:52 -2.9 °C
    22:02 -2.9 °C
    22:12 -2.8 °C
    22:22 -2.6 °C
    22:32 -2.6 °C
    22:42 -2.6 °C
    22:52 -2.3 °C
    23:02 -2.2 °C
    23:12 -2.2 °C
    23:22 -2.3 °C
    23:32 -2.2 °C
    23:42 -2.1 °C
    23:52 -2.0 °C

No sign of snow yet.

so i'm not the only kilkenny person still on! keep me updated on the temp, we'll hold out for something coming through yet!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

red_bairn wrote: »
    yeah. been on and off with the hail, just had another shower there. Maybe we'll get sth soon...

trogdor - Heavy snow, HUGE flakes

come this way baby! :D

& this way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Like a scratched record and as a side to the Snow Storms in the East, here is an update on the Thursday system for the western seaboard.

The NAE chart has put the system well inland. The fears with this atlantic front is that it will introduce those maritime temps for some but it has the potential to deliver significant snowfall. Look at the mm readings. The below, by the way, is the beginning of that system. The NAE does not go past 48hrs.

10010718_0518.gif

other graphs from NAE
    http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/01/05/basis18/ukuk/rsum/10010718_0518.gif
    http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/01/05/basis18/ukuk/t850/10010718_0518.gif

850 HPA temps dont favour snow for much of the western seaboard but 30 miles inland or so is a different story.

The GFS for Thursday at 6pm shows precip along the western seaboard but it does not move inland as much. GFS 850hpa temps are much more favourable.
    http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/2010/01/05/basis18/ukuk/t850/10010718_0518.gif
    http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/2010/01/05/basis18/ukuk/rsum/10010715_0518.gif

The UKMO chart for the same time is in agreement with the GFS, while conditions are favourable to snow precip.
    http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/ukmo/2010/01/05/basis12/ukuk/prec/10010712_0512.gif
    http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/ukmo/2010/01/05/basis12/ukuk/t850/10010712_0512.gif

On a final note and apologies for looking so far ahead but the UKMO fax chart for Sunday looks interesting
    http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/ukmonws/2010/01/05/basis18/ukmoan/10011018_0518.gif

• Advertisement

okay stuck my head out the window (brrrrrrrrrrr) and its picking up with the wind. Heavy clouds.

oh...and it's a mixture or snow with hail...sounds like rain....maybe rain/hail/snow? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement