Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mchammer22

MetLuver wrote: »
    welcome mchammer22.good time to join:)

Thanks Metluver, Yes very exciting times!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Improving prospects now for heavy snow, I can see signs of rapid streamer (or what I want to call "snow squall") development on the Lancs coast as the gradient wind is clearly picking up around the deepening low.

If all goes well (these being delicate situations) a beefy snow streamer will soon develop the full width of the Irish Sea hitting land near Dublin, and there will likely be parallel secondary bands north and south. The ones further south will have a land origin from central Wales which could make for sudden intensification, first of all the air will be downsloping off the Welsh mountains, and secondly there will be a much shorter sea crossing (but not too short) which will keep the streamers from dissipating energy.

I am speculating that we'll get reports of widespread thunder snow in Wicklow and Wexford soon, and almost blizzard conditions at times could develop. This will also help more inland areas get their share of the snowfall, the heavier the coastal impact, the further inland the remnants can sustain themselves.

I have sketched out a possible scenario below for total snowfalls (including amounts already reported) by mid-day tomorrow: (hope this will be readable, I have no available map graphics) ...

POTENTIAL SNOWFALL (cms) IN 24h (1200h to 1200h) 5-6 Jan

..........(0-1)........................0.......5....10..
    ......................................0........5....10.Dub.
    .............................0...........Cas....10....15.
    .......................0................5.....10....15...20+
    ....................0..............5........10...15..Wic.
    .....................0.............5.........Wex.
    ........................0.Wat........
    .....Cork...........
    .... ..

(higher amounts locally on east-facing slopes and mountains)

This is a schematic, of course nature is not this organized in delivering something as complex as sea effect snow, even in Dublin itself you could sketch out a map with a range from 5 to 15 cms. You'll know from your past experience whether your local area gets more or less than most places right around you, so adjust accordingly to get your own prediction (and let's hope it's not by moving the zero line to Wicklow). :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭revr

I can't believe how far that wee shower that gave me a coverin of hail on North east coast of N Ireland at 2000hrs has penetrated inland and made it's way to Central Southern Ireland - Mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

fingers and toes crossed.

Hearing reports of up to 16 inches in the UK due in places. Fe*k

I think we're getting the first few inches now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Thomas828 wrote: »
    Here in London we've managed to escape any snowfall since Christmas Eve, but it's here at last. There's already 2cm of it. BBC London is already reporting delays on the railways and the roads.

it's supposed to get heavy there this morning.

• Advertisement

an absolute avalanche of snow falling now..is the only way to describe this.
    G'WAN the sea effect streamers !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

baraca wrote: »
    Nothing!? :o What part of town you in??

Around whiterock!!!..........it's white outside here, only a little, but it's there:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Scotland felt sorry for us and has taken a night off.
    image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=ir

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Thanks M.T. You've once again renewed my optimism! No sleep for the wicked tonight (or snow hungry in this case)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bren Jacob

Light snow in Wickla town again now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=ir

Sharing is caring :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

WolfeIRE wrote: »

hasn't done us much good, they're still getting more than we will tonight!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

temper-tantrum-girl-425ds061609_getty.jpg

Pics or GTFO :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Fear that I will be closer to the 0cm than the 5cm on MTs map...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

That Raintoday thing, which you cant zoom anymore, is suggesting south Dublin is covered by a mass of snow showers, but all I see is mostly clear sky, which I have being seeing practically all night so far. Are the radars operating correctly. They seem to be reporting stuff that's just not there for Dublin :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

that's just a male insecurity about size issue Maq.:p It's how accurate your snowball throwing will be in the morning, not how big the snowball will be;)

same here:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

mad DIY wrote: »
    That Raintoday thing, which you cant zoom anymore, is suggesting south Dublin is covered by a mass of snow showers, but all I see is mostly clear sky, which I have being seeing practically all night so far. Are the radars operating correctly. They seem to be reporting stuff that's just not there for Dublin :confused:

It was like that here last night in Navan. Said it was snowing, but looking out the window there was not a flake to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts...

Temp still (edit) rising..

Temperature: -1.8 °C
    Dew Point: -2.1 °C

Could it possibly be due to the snow clouds moving in I wonder?

• Advertisement

Input your nearest town and it should show a closer image.

kleefarr wrote: »
    Kilkenny City outskirts...

Temp still dropping...

Temperature: -1.8 °C
    Dew Point: -2.1 °C

Could it possibly be due to the snow clouds moving in I wonder?

i think you may mean temperature rising??? (-2.1 is a higher number than -2.9!!!:rolleyes:)

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭revr

No even the met office radar isnt reportin the Northern Scotland showers for past while so who knows what is comin down from up North. I think SE Ireland is goin get hit soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

-1 here in dublin and i can see the cloud accumulating now so it should kick off soon i'm sure.

baraca wrote: »
    Pics or GTFO :D;)
    I'm not getting out of this warm bed for man beast or snow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Will Navan get a bit of snow tonight. Can anyone answer?

i think you may mean temperature rising??? (-2.1 is a higher number than -2.9!!!:rolleyes:)

:rolleyes:

Yes. Of course. Edited with reason given. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

I am speculating that we'll get reports of widespread thunder snow in Wicklow and Wexford soon:D
    Thanks M.T. Any of that thunder snow for Dubs aswell!!

• Advertisement

Man your in bed and there's a blizzard outside! Don't think i'd be able to stay in bed i'd have to go out for a quick look at least!

Things look to be picking up again now i can hear the wind starting to howl alot more

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement