Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

I don't know if NAAAAVVVAN will get any snow tonight but I am getting some kip!:D Bonne nuit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

kleefarr wrote: »
    Yes. Of course. Edited with reason given. ;)

Valid reason accepted with thanks!!!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

I'm not getting out of this warm bed for man beast or snow:D

GTFO! GTFO! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Will Navan get a bit of snow tonight. Can anyone answer?
    Unlikely before 2am according to the met eireann precip charts although you are just on the edge of that Duff. Everything is coming from NE to N so you would need to see precip heading your way from Co Down direction to be getting anything. Showers may develop later in the night. Maybe MT mentioned this in his last post about half hour ago.

keep an eye on the met radar or any o these

http://www.meteox.co.uk/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=loop1uur
    http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
    http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Hope this comes off, would see snow here in Waterford...

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/run/18-574.GIF?05-18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

night all, heres for a whiteout in the morning. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

ffarrell wrote: »
    I don't know if NAAAAVVVAN will get any snow tonight but I am getting some kip!:D Bonne nuit!

Ha love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

kleefarr wrote: »
    Input your nearest town and it should show a closer image.

Unfortunately not. It just plays chase the edit box around the screen:mad:
    Obviously trying to encourage force people towards the premium version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I'm not getting out of this warm bed for man beast or snow:D

Pfft i expect a snow angel con :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I'ts snowing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Bray covered in a dusting of snow now. Wind howling but no snow falling at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Murphdog94

WOW! It HAS been busy here today 1.3k plus posts in just over 12 hours.
    That's about 1 post every thirty seconds for over half a day! :O
    Shows dedication.......
    I'm gonna have a hard time catchin up!
    Now let's just hope it snows........... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

trogdor wrote: »
    Pfft i expect a snow angel con :D :pac:

This I have to see.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I think that there is a curse following me around.... snow just will not come here :(

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Unlikely before 2am according to the met eireann precip charts although you are just on the edge of that Duff. Everything is coming from NE to N so you would need to see precip heading your way from Co Down direction to be getting anything. Showers may develop later in the night. Maybe MT mentioned this in his last post about half hour ago.

Lovely thanks for the reply. Hopefully we will have a bit of luck. We got hardly anything at all last night. Was a little bit on the ground this morning. Hopefully we get that percip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭revr

I can't see any showers further North at all just for the South now with the unstable air!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Hope this comes off, would see snow here in Waterford...

18-574.GIF?05-18

^
    ^
    Copyright 2010 Meteociel.fr??? Someones in trouble!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I will work on a better base map for future efforts, that one gives you some idea but it would be pretty difficult to estimate a forecast for various intermediate points from that map. Let's just say it seems pretty certain that the coast from Dublin around to about Wexford should get a pasting, and as winds turn more towards NE (above the surface) there's a much better chance of streamers getting past the hills and into the southeast counties in general, whether they will contain much snow at that point???

This thing about the NW surface winds is consistent with streamer or squall band dynamics, quite often the wind near the surface is an inflow wind to replace the cold air going rapidly upwards in the squall band over the warmer waters. That air has to be replaced from nearby cold, dry air and so it's fairly frequent to find that streamers (squalls) have winds at right angles to the forward direction of the band itself. In Ontario, I've seen winds go around almost opposite to squall direction at times, like a light east wind underneath a fast-moving squall from a westerly direction.

Near the centre line of a streamer (squall) you will find the winds moving more forward with the band and this is where blowing snow becomes a problem. On the margins, it's more of a swirling effect. This is why, sometimes, when you drive into a squall band you have a totally directionless feeling as the snow seems to be coming at you from all sides -- it probably is in fact. And something else that you'll probably have observed in past events, streamers can have very marked boundaries giving snowfalls of 10 cm or more in one location, and almost zero a mile or two away. The more "unidirectional" the winds in a vertical profile, the more this effect is likely to be seen. We've just had a situation over here with heavy squalls coming off southern Lake Huron where one town saw 80 cms of snow in a short period, and a few miles to the east, almost nothing recorded, same to the west. I'm not expecting anything that dramatic here, for one thing, when streamers have to get past hills and coastal variations, they tend to spread out and become more "diffuse" which reduces the amounts at any one location but expands the total areal coverage.

Checking out now for a supper break here, back around 0300h to see what actually happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

well it's definatly going to snow in most parts of dublin this morning thats for sure but navan looks like escaping it. but anything could happen. a tough one to predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Just started again Baraca, you getting it yet???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

What about North Dublin? (a.k.a my house) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

joes girls wrote: »

It's here too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

mad DIY wrote: »
    Unfortunately not. It just plays chase the edit box around the screen:mad:
    Obviously trying to encourage force people towards the premium version.

Um. If I input Kilkenny it zooms in to the South East focusing on the Travelodge Hotel Waterford.

Must just be a one off.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Alicat wrote: »
    What about North Dublin? (a.k.a my house) :(

Not looking good for North Dublin :( The showers all seem to track in towards South Dublin and below.

zenno wrote: »
    well it's definatly going to snow in most parts of dublin this morning thats for sure but navan looks like escaping it. but anything could happen. a tough one to predict.

I seriously am not happy with you :(. Why why why :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

^
    ^
    Copyright 2010 Meteociel.fr??? Someones in trouble!!! :D

Gah :P Edited to just a link now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

joes girls wrote: »

I seem to be getting about two min after you i'm up in coolcotts, had a light flurry a minute ago. Getting better though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭revr

wish that system over souther england was over Ireland we would all get a pasting - she is rotating nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

not a star to be seen now, the sky looks full of snow:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

rain today has taken the zoom feature off, presumably because that many people in Britain were using it with the curent situation over there that it was slowing the site down... it says something like that on raintoday... and it makes sense as a lot of people said it was slow yesterday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement