Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I wonder how that trough will react as it passes through the peninnes over Northeast England at the moment.

Will probably break up and die, but hopefully won't and will bubble up over the Irish Sea and hit us at 12 noon.

When I was looking at Sky News weather last night, this is what it appeared to be showing - Francis did not specifically mention, but I was surprised to see a band of ppn hitting us here around midday on their animation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Temperature up to 0.0°C and rising.
    About 12cm snow overnight, still snowing lightly.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

redsunset wrote: »
    0600.gif

God wicklow got and still is getting a hammering

Interesting map, someones moved Athlone ;)

Anyway partial thaw in North Dublin overnight, just a couple of flurries a few minutes ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Supercell wrote: »
    About 12cm snow overnight, still snowing lightly.
    So you'll be in work soon :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

DOCARCH wrote: »
    When I was looking at Sky News weather last night, this is what it appeared to be showing - Francis did not specifically mention, but I was surprised to see a band of ppn hitting us here around midday on their animation.

Sounds promising,i must have a look at that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Mothman wrote: »
    So you'll be in work soon :pac:

Ehh..of course, the kind of work that involves running around making snow angels, taking pictures and acting the eejit!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Interesting map, someones moved Athlone ;)

Anyway partial thaw in North Dublin overnight, just a couple of flurries a few minutes ago.

Hardly anything here.

Supercell wrote: »
    Ehh..of course, the kind of work that involves running around making snow angels, taking pictures and acting the eejit!
    Stuff of dreams doing work that one enjoys :D
    Meanwhile
    +2c/-2C
    No rain to thaw the 1cm near coast and I won't look at road for fear of it being passable :-\

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

There was a layer of snow when i went to bed last night and now it's all completely gone. I don't understand how it could thaw in these freezing temperatures.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

jaffa20 wrote: »
    There was a layer of snow when i went to bed last night and now it's all completely gone. I don't understand how it could thaw in these freezing temperatures.:(

I think its the strong wind coming off the sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Cold in Cork again this morning, not as bad as previous mornings. -1c. Travelled into work this morning without any issues. Anyway doesn't look likely that we will see any snow in Cork in the next couple of days or the weekend (Please correct me if otherwise). Now the question is. As my kids havn't seen proper snow in their lifetime, should I risk the journey this weekend up to Rathfarnam.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Not freezing. It's +3C and if not hail/graupel then its sleet at best

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

Very icy here this morning, temp at -1.3C from an overnight low of -1.6.

Having had train delays yesterday evening, and taken about 35 minutes to cover the 12 minute walk from the station, I'm going to work from home today. I can see what looks very like a snow shower moving South-west over the Clane area at the moment, and there's a big bank of cloud to the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

That is the nature of showers. Hit and miss which does not mean the Met are wrong.

Edit. Temp fell down to -3.6c all of a sudden.

Ive found it always drops fast around sunrise. Im watching BBC news, all that snow in the S England!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

Absolutely nothing in north Dublin. Not even a sprinkle

What happened?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

garytuohy wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing in north Dublin. Not even a sprinkle

What happened?

Basically low pressure over s'ern England got stuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭hawkwing

I hope this crap weather ends soon,after 3 weeks spent divided between munster and Dublin all i have seen is a few wet flakes mixed with 2 days of sleet and 1/4 inch of compacted snow in the Castleknock estates to make driving ridiculous.Have given up on this now and think it is the most annoying spell i can remember which promised so much in terms of snow for so long but did nothing but disappoint and make life dangerous:mad:

Sharp fall in temp now. -3.8c. Dp now reading -7c. :pac:

Edit: now at -3.9c. will it make it to -4.0c? Come on!

Edit Edit: -4.0c! Not surprising to see the windspeed has dropped significantly as well. 1 mph 10 mean mean.

Edit Edit Edit: -4.3c

Dropped here to from -2.7c to -3.6c now! I can see clouds approaching from the N as well!

snowing on and off here during the night with blizzard conditions in a very strong wind.
    About 3 inches of fresh snow on top of the old stuff here at the house.

Mothman wrote: »
    Not freezing. It's +3C and if not hail/graupel then its sleet at best
    All snow here mothman.
    The navvy bridge in arklow is impassable.
    Currently +1.4c dp is -1.7c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

I knew it wouldn't snow in meath/dublin, but i am still disappointed. Back to work today, i guess this is the end, can't see any more snow anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

According to RTE North Dublin and Meath to get snow later. What do the real forecasters say? Any chance. It's my son's birthday and he wants a little bit of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

cork city hasn't seen a single flake over the past few weeks but I see mention in the outlook on met.ie that winds go more east after weekend meaning more wintry showers for east and south coast.

any of you experienced weather folk (wetahercheck/su campu et al) care to agree disagree - or is it just too far out to tell.

I just want one snow shower to show my three year old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

According to RTE we were to get it last night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

I have to drive to Gorey, anyone know what the N11 is like. AA Traffic seems to have thrown in the towel

Lady_North wrote: »
    According to RTE North Dublin and Meath to get snow later. What do the real forecasters say? Any chance. It's my son's birthday and he wants a little bit of snow.

Just have to watch what comes out of the north of England in the coming hours - possibly a chance of heavier snow showers from that. Other than that, it's probably just light flurries for the coastal margins of Dublin anyway.

doccy wrote: »
    I have to drive to Gorey, anyone know what the N11 is like. AA Traffic seems to have thrown in the towel
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055784227&page=9
    post #168

You don't say from which direction

More graupel
    2.9/-2.0C

doccy wrote: »
    Not great.
    Compacted snow and ice as of an hour ago down this way.
    It may have improved since.

some showers heading into Donegal at moment. Wonder what they are doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snowed a wee snow shower a while ago here ,all the snow from yesturday still here frozen solid, I see met eireann said for tonight
    Wintry showers of sleet and snow will persist tonight in coastal regions of Ulster

Didnt expect that :)

That batch of snow that they think might hit or miss us tomorrow is mentioned too

Thursday

There's a risk of more persistent sleet and snow pushing in over west Ulster and Connacht in the afternoon and evening. Highest temperatures of 0 to +4 degrees.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement