Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Lashing snow & hail here - Dublin CC just off Grafton Street :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

And now it's stopped. Poo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Any chance of any snow getting to carlow, I wonder. Want to make a snow man with kids

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Anyone know what it's like right now on the ground in the UCD/Donnybrook area? Also, what the forecast is? Don't fancy getting to work and not being able to get home again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

hail hail hail in Dublin CC right now, it's weird though as it's staying on ground and looks like snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

irish1967 wrote: »
    Here we go again !! Yet another shower just starting. Candy.. I would say Killybegs was like here... not much last night but now having our second good shower since 9 am. :D Side roads pure white and compacted ice.Many unpassable. Main roads passable with extreme care.

Ah you serious, It's actually snowing quiet heavily here in Aungier st at the minute so dublin is currently satisfying my needs:D

I heard that there was alot of difficulty around Beleek last night and then Mount Charles! Whats all this about the Quads spinning on lakes, I had to laugh at this when a friend told me last night:D

And now it's started again :) Hmm, I think I'll refrain from posting here for a while to save my self the trouble :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Groundhog day here in Waterford, cold, dry,sunny and frosty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Absolute white out here.. pics to follow.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Folks, take note of the system moving south easterly towards us. Seems its moved further east than Met Eireann have predicted. Could bring something tomorrow afternoon.

EDIT: Just seen the sky news forecast, seems like a large enough system coming into north mayo and sligo, and may slide right through the country. Depends on the intensity though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Any chance of any snow getting to carlow, I wonder. Want to make a snow man with kids

I'm afraid not :(

Outside my Gate this morning :

http://pix.sparky-s.ie/10b48.jpg

Cemetary road Arklow (Snow was all gone there yesterday bar a few patches and that hill is very tricky!)

http://pix.sparky-s.ie/a0411.jpg

Cemetary Hill Arklow

http://pix.sparky-s.ie/c4316.jpg

My fresh tracks on the road outside my house :)

http://pix.sparky-s.ie/82c40.jpg

The wind is lifting up the snow here and spinning it-It's beautifull.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Ooh, it's gotten very heavy now :D Yuss!

wheres Green Hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Seems Arklow got a nice lashing of snow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Green Hill Zone refers to Sonic The Hedgehog, the first level! ;)
    snaps wrote: »
    wheres Green Hill?

Defcol wrote: »
    Green Hill Zone refers to Sonic The Hedgehog, the first level! ;)

Bingo ;)

I'm in Dublin 14 btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭hawkwing

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0106/weather.html
    5cm snow forecast for east Leinster

Met Éireann says heaviest snow falls last night were in south Dublin, Wexford and Wicklow.

More wintry showers are forecast in those areas again this morning and also in north Dublin, Meath and Louth.
    ++++++++++
    let's see--radar is improving at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Snow shower in Sligo town.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I seem to be sandwiched between two streamers at the moment, showers to the left and the right and clear overhead, can't complain as long as the sun doesnt melt my precious snow!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

if only that low over england would move a bit more north,we would have a snow fest,strong easterly's on that snow line :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Flurries finally coming down now in Carlow(Ballon).

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

hail now in dublin north coast.

temperatures seemed to be above zero last night.

car windscreens were not affected any my bottle of water in the garden didnt freeze!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Tough event to forecast with very narrow streamers setting up, but overall the radar presentation is improving and I think the window of opportunity for further Dublin area snowfall remains open to about 3-4 p.m. perhaps.

This radar is a good one to use in conjunction with the main Irish and UK radars, both for the wider perspective and the 15-min updates which you don't get on the UK public radar.

http://www.meteociel.fr/accueil/radar.php

(two notes, first scroll down to see the second map, and also, note the times are CET one hour ahead of GMT)

Assuming you are looking at it before 1100, what it shows in some detail (this is more for weather newbies by the way) is the main centre of low sinking slowly south into France, the centre not far from the Channel Islands now, and a pressure map shows that it has a central pressure of 995 mbs (compares to 1001 mb this time yesterday with centre near west Midlands of England). It also shows a wide swirl of sea effect banding at a roughly uniform distance from the centre, both in the North Sea and the Irish Sea, with increasing coverage east and northeast of Dublin evident on the loop.

I was hearing from a contact in Newcastle England that they have had periodic whiteouts there from heavy streamers moving inland, and that activity tends to fall apart over the Pennines but remnants come out over the Sea and reform near the Isle of Man. There are also fairly heavy streamers evident near the Lincs and Yorkshire coasts.

Meanwhile, for eastern Ireland, the short-term forecast is for winds to turn very slightly perhaps from 020 to 040 degrees and it should remain quite gusty (M2 is gusting to 41 kts) so with the coldest air of this outbreak as measured in the upper levels now overhead (516 dm thickness has moved into central Ireland) conditions are now about as good as they will get for streamer development. The limiting factors after 2-3 p.m. will be backing winds to NNE again, and slacker gradients, but sometimes there's a lag between these set-up conditions and the actual life cycle of the streamers.

Also anyone in Donegal, Sligo and Mayo can see that they are in line for a few scattered but locally heavy bursts of snow and this may continue off and on for the rest of the day.

Meanwhile, my take on tomorrow is that a shallow warm front will develop dropping south from east of Iceland to take up a position something like Derry to Galway then south during the day. West of that, some slightly milder air will move inland and snow will be forced to higher elevations only in that warmer sector, but east of this southward-dropping feature, sleet and snow are possible. It may be a rather moisture-deficient system in general, but potential is there for some central counties (roughly from Fermanagh south to Laois) to see 1-3 cms of snow from this. It may be a rather fine wet snow in some lower elevations, but there's bound to be some lucky winners tomorrow.

I'm keeping an eye on possible return to action in the southeast on the weekend as the gradient improves again. I dunno if Wicklow and Wexford want any more, but they may get it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Groundhog day here in Waterford, cold, dry,sunny and frosty :)

Another fellow Waterford person feeling the pain of no snow !!!! Welcome to the lonely club:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A band is rapidly developing in the Irish sea and looks good for south Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford.

Good echoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Moderate snowfall in Parkwest / D12 just now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

BBC are now forecasting snowfall for much of Ireland tomorrow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

rhonin wrote: »
    Snow shower in Sligo town.

that cloud bank from donegal town must be hitting you now, i can see it way off to the side of me here, but getting a few tiny tiny flakes, not sure much more will come, cannot see over the hill lol

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

A big shower has just developed over the Irish Sea to my NE - looks like it will track down Belfast Lough towards Belfast - just missing me - grrrr!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Mad temperature swings, up to 0.6°C in the snow and down to -0.2°C now in the sun.
    More importantly, no drip drip sound of the dreaded thaw outside :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement