Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Folks, take note of the system moving south easterly towards us. Seems its moved further east than Met Eireann have predicted. Could bring something tomorrow afternoon.

EDIT: Just seen the sky news forecast, seems like a large enough system coming into north mayo and sligo, and may slide right through the country. Depends on the intensity though.

Yes but its coming from the atlantic, which means warmer air and rain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

hawkwing wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0106/weather.html
    5cm snow forecast for east Leinster

Met Éireann says heaviest snow falls last night were in south Dublin, Wexford and Wicklow.

More wintry showers are forecast in those areas again this morning and also in north Dublin, Meath and Louth.
    ++++++++++
    let's see--radar is improving at least!

Once again i really can't see where this is going to come from. there has been a few showers building up over the sea but they die out as soon as they hit land. I expect south east to see the last of the snow today.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

So what are the chances that the roads will be passable this evening for people getting home from work? I really don't need to be stranded in work!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

for the pro's here: when theres snow and hail at the same time is there a name for that?[/QUOTE]

Snail :D

I dunno if Wicklow and Wexford want any more, but they may get it anyway.
    Oh I'll take more of what you organised for me so far on my drive thanks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Not a flake in Navan feck arse drink

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like some heavy snow showers could push into Wicklow in the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I dunno if Wicklow and Wexford want any more, but they may get it anyway.

You take that back!!!!

Thanks MT, very informative as usual.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Once again i really can't see where this is going to come from. there has been a few showers building up over the sea but they die out as soon as they hit land. I expect south east to see the last of the snow today.

I hate to disappoint, but it snowed/hailed heavily for an hour last night in D11. And it was snowing 30 mins ago in D1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

pissing rain here in finglas with maybe the odd bit of hail occasionally. Ice looks like melting. Only whiteout here is my american brand of tip-ex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Morning folks,

Slightly disappointed with the amount of cover here in North Dublin but looking at the Radar it looks like we could get some still.

Currently light hail/snow in Dublin CC

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

BBC are now forecasting snowfall for much of Ireland tomorrow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

And also heavy snow for Dublin on Sunday night!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Folks, take note of the system moving south easterly towards us. Seems its moved further east than Met Eireann have predicted. Could bring something tomorrow afternoon.

EDIT: Just seen the sky news forecast, seems like a large enough system coming into north mayo and sligo, and may slide right through the country. Depends on the intensity though.

Yes the BBC have it further EAST also than Met Eireann have to wait and see.

Our roads are really bad from overnight snowfall the snowfall M.E did not predict for us. I could not belive my eyes last night at the 9.30 weather give nothing for here and it was belting it down outside Cavan and Monaghan very bad this morning. Boards 1 Met.Eireann 1

pissing rain here in finglas with maybe the odd bit of hail occasionally. Ice looks like melting. Only whiteout here is my american brand of tip-ex.

Can't see it raining with the dewpoints mate, must be hail.

Defo woulding be 'pissin' rain for shure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

OK , i'm out to run around like a loolah half/quarter my age. Hope you Dubs get some of the action today, it really is fantastic out here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

eskimocat wrote: »
    that cloud bank from donegal town must be hitting you now, i can see it way off to the side of me here, but getting a few tiny tiny flakes, not sure much more will come, cannot see over the hill lol

Get down on yer knees and pray hey!!! Or else by an snow machine if you didn't get enough snow!

On another note, I'm just after realising that it's been snowing now on and off since the night of my 21st!! The 19th of December!

The penny has finally dropped:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I think we just had our first touch of snow in D15 of this 'feature'...there was nothing overnight :pac: Cloudy with flakes in the air now. Wonder if we'll see proper showers or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

4 cm here in Rathdrum.. stunning. More on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

question for ye that know...

looking at the sat24 satalite is there an eye forming over southern uk?

and if that is one, does that pull the stream that is running down the west coast of ireland more towards it, bringing it more inland ??

Then does that mean, it will lighten when it hits the warmer landmass???

these and many many questions but would be trilled if someone could talk me through this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Please tell me you're joking :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Decent graupel shower forming a covering now in Tallaght

Flakes in the wind here but i suspect there has been for a good few hours as the showers formed just to my east and went into Wicklow.

Can't see it raining with the dewpoints mate, must be hail.

Defo woulding be 'pissin' rain for shure.

Just came back in from it. It's rain. Falls as hail in short few seconds long bursts then back to a few minutes of rain. I said pissing because in 20 minutes out in it i came back in drenched.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mchammer22

Su Campu wrote: »
    Decent graupel shower forming a covering now in Tallaght

Anymore due there do you think Su? Will it actually snow??

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

The Isle of man seems to hinder North Dublin when it comes to these types of showers.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

A few snowflakes here now blowing about in the strong breeze.

On the latest BBC forecast, it mentioned that a band of snow would move across Northern Ireland from the Atlantic tomorrow. To be honest, I don't expect this - it may affect the west but I can't see it reaching this far east - one to watch anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Light snow been falling in my part of Clondalkin here, for the last half an hour on and off... mind you I'm only up since 10 anyways :D

Donegal County Council has said that due to dwindling salt stocks it will only be able to provide a limit road treatment service this evening and tomorrow and cannot confirm when a normal service will resume.
    A decision has been made to stop treating the back of Errigal road and there will be no salt applied to any of the key routes across the county tonight.

http://www.highlandradio.com/2010/01/05/weather-alert-low-stocks-means-council-cant-salt-roads/

Sorry I just had to post this....No wonder people can't get moving anywhere in Donegal this morning!! What do the county council there for?? I thought to Grit Roads and stuff! Schools and places of work have had to be closed this morning in the county resulting in a loss of revenue which businesses don't need in this current climate.

We only got salt in Donegal less than 48 hours ago! Where did it all go I'd like to know!:eek:

More lorries to Limerick today I hope!

Please tell me you're joking :(

Nope no jokes. I'm up in the north of finglas close to st margaret's. Good riddence to it. Just been ice here anyways. When it decides to fall as snow it can stick around all it wants.

• Advertisement

snowjon wrote: »
    A few snowflakes here now blowing about in the strong breeze.

On the latest BBC forecast, it mentioned that a band of snow would move across Northern Ireland from the Atlantic tomorrow. To be honest, I don't expect this - it may affect the west but I can't see it reaching this far east - one to watch anyway :D

Aye looks like it will head down western side of country, just as usual!

Its all either too far east or too far west!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement