Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Murphdog94

It's still snowing here in Dublin 16 (Granted it's very light)
    But I'm still hopeful.......
    It's been snowing for an hour now, not a great covering though because it started off really heavy and then went really light.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

YES!!!!

Moderate snow falling in Bangor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Aye looks like it will head down western side of country, just as usual!

Its all either too far east or too far west!

is it likely to spread far inland or is that too difficult to predict until later in the day or tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Nope no jokes. I'm up in the north of finglas close to st margaret's. Good riddence to it. Just been ice here anyways. When it decides to fall as snow it can stick around all it wants.

I'm just off McKee Avenue. Has been a nightmare to walk on for the best part of a week now.

Did enjoy the snow though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Is that a significant streamer developing in the Irish sea on course for North Dublin or am I just deluded ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

snowjon wrote: »
    YES!!!!

Moderate snow falling in Bangor :D

Yes radar shows Irish sea awakening from its slumber at quite a pass.

Nice slot moving in over you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

North Irish Sea looking pretty good on 1030 radar! The showers moving thru the north of England earlier this morning some to have really pepped up activity for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Another light flurry here. Now bright blue skies for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Latest Hirlam Guidance, recently updated, suggests snow showers becoming more organised into the early afternoon & penetrating inland into Eastern & Southeastern areas, again one to watch..

prec_nordeuro-3.gif

In addition, it has light snow showers beginning in the East & Southeast later on Friday as the easterly flow develops..

As indicated on this morning's ECWMF 00Z Precipitation charts, the flow towards the weekend, is likely, at this stage confidence is about 70%, to turn into ENE, before backing almost due Easterly. This represents two features:

1. There will be the threat of snow showers off the Irish Sea, with a deep cold pool being advected west.

2. A frontal feature, could quite possibly approach from the S/SE later in the weekend, as indicated on last night's FAX chart - this represents the threat of more organised outbreaks of precipitation - which is why today's Met Eireann forecast has continued to mention the risk of wintry showers in Eastern & Southeastern areas.

Beyond this, a continental influence is likely to hold until Day 6 at least. The supply of cold air will be cut off for a time, with the formation of an elongated High over Scandinavia, however we will have a deep cold pool in place over Ireland. 850mb temperatures should eventually decrease towards -4 to -7 across the country, but may remain constant at this. Also note that we no longer need 528 Dam air for snowfall much later in the week. In such air, it can snow with Dam Heights up to 535 and even higher at times.

There is currently great uncertainty to Day 10, but good confidence to Day 6.

SA :)

I think most of the east coast should get a few showers.

But some really big echoes could give some very heavy snow into Wicklow.

• Advertisement

Yes radar shows Irish sea awakening from its slumber at quite a pass.

Nice slot moving in over you.

This is a great site - people actually seem interested in the weather in Bangor!

The radar has exploded into life just off the coast here :
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Total white out here now WC,I'm gonna take more pics!
    It's the gift thta keeps on coming!

You could snowboard easily in my yard at the moment in nice deep powder :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

francosp wrote: »
    Is that a significant streamer developing in the Irish sea on course for North Dublin or am I just deluded ? :D
    So I've noticed :)
    The area west of the Isle of Man is really pepping up now. I kept looking to this area last night but there was nothing, early days yet though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I think it's another days work down the tubes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Latest Hirlam Guidance, recently updated, suggests snow showers becoming more organised into the early afternoon & penetrating inland into Eastern & Southeastern areas, again one to watch..
    n the risk of wintry showers in Eastern & Southeastern areas.

Oh I like that chart. Would surely see some snow in Waterford if that came off, right? :pac: Hope the HIRLAM is right here...haven't seen a flake yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Heavier here now than before (d15). Seems to be a bit of hail mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Its been hell down here in the Wesht for the past three weeks but of course it doesnt get bad til it hits Dublin!!

Black Briar?

Are you reading for a dumping!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Light to moderate falls of now and graupel here in Castleknock, West Dublin and radar is looking good.:D:D:D:D:D

Oh I like that chart. Would surely see some snow in Waterford if that came off, right? :pac: Hope the HIRLAM is right here...haven't seen a flake yet!

I know the feeling, same really in KK so I hope so too, although with the way things have gone lately I wouldn't bank on it unfortunately! Seems to be a snow shield in operation :D

• Advertisement

That should READ SNOW and Graupel. Still snowing.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Blanchardstown here, nice flurry coming down but seems more haily than actual snow. Road is white already, only been coming down for about 5 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

very heavy in d15, carpenterstown

Heavy hail and snow now....getting heavier. Place whiter than ever!!!! Blizzard now:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Blanchardstown here, nice flurry coming down but seems more haily than actual snow. Road is white already, only been coming down for about 5 minutes!

Stopped now, boooo :(

HEAVY HEAVY snow here now:D HUGE flakes

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Where in Meath are you ibarelycare? Wall to wall sunshine here in Trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

Snowaddict wrote: »

prec_nordeuro-3.gif

In addition, it has light snow showers beginning in the East & Southeast later on Friday as the easterly flow develops..

As indicated on this morning's ECWMF 00Z Precipitation charts, the flow towards the weekend, is likely, at this stage confidence is about 70%, to turn into ENE, before backing almost due Easterly. This represents two features:

1. There will be the threat of snow showers off the Irish Sea, with a deep cold pool being advected west.

2. A frontal feature, could quite possibly approach from the S/SE later in the weekend, as indicated on last night's FAX chart - this represents the threat of more organised outbreaks of precipitation - which is why today's Met Eireann forecast has continued to mention the risk of wintry showers in Eastern & Southeastern areas.

Beyond this, a continental influence is likely to hold until Day 6 at least. The supply of cold air will be cut off for a time, with the formation of an elongated High over Scandinavia, however we will have a deep cold pool in place over Ireland. 850mb temperatures should eventually decrease towards -4 to -7 across the country, but may remain constant at this. Also note that we no longer need 528 Dam air for snowfall much later in the week. In such air, it can snow with Dam Heights up to 535 and even higher at times.

There is currently great uncertainty to Day 10, but good confidence to Day 6.

I dont think I can take anymore disappointment Mark so I'm going to ignore those charts !!!!:(!!!!!!!:(:(:(

paulhac wrote: »
    I dont think I can take anymore disappointment Mark so I'm going to ignore those charts !!!!:(!!!!!!!:(:(:(

I know the feeling Paul, but the Irish Sea is really coming to life now in the past 1.5 Hours.. You could well see something yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

any snow due for leixlip - from clondalkin and heard its bucketing down up there but none down the road here in leixlip !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement