Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Supercell wrote: »
    Utter utter madness here right now!!!

agh shur-up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Snowing here now in Raheny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 krobo

Snow In Artane! bring in on:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Murphdog94

Starting to get daft!!!

101124.jpg

WOW!!!
    That's unbelievable!
    Such a contrast from south dublin which isn't that far away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Can even see the flakes on my webcam :-

webcam.jpg

very pretty - heavy shower just finished here.

The school ( glencullen) is under a ft of snow... JCBs at the ready to start clearing for the morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

been proper snowing here in Donabate for about 10 mins now. I think this is the start f it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

From a NIMBY perspective, this week is stil looking lacklustre. Places north of Dublin as far as Newry and further inland, along with Waterford, need a proper easterly, not this slack "easterly-coming-from-the-north" business. I'm delighted in a sense that many regions do have the cold, but when you hear of places south, north and further west of your location getting good falls of snow at some point in the past 3 weeks, it does bring a touch of green eyes out:)

The only snow I've seen where I live, is the humble inch we got from the front on Monday night.

I can't even guess at what could happen given those LPs near us, which are acting somewhat unpredictably. I think most of the east coast should get their snow brollies out for the next 8 hours, but after that at least some of the models (namely GFS) are a total HP sinker affair which is precisely what I feared before this supposedly northeasterly synopsis started off.

ECM and UKMO (and its associated weather alert) are much more hope-inspiring if snow along the whole east and southeast is what you want. But the risk at the weekend is too FI for my liking so I'm not getting my hopes until I see what the LPs to the east and south of Ireland do, and where exactly that Atlantic HP goes in the next 24 hours. And even those models show pressure building over us so we'll have to hope for more organised precipitation. (assuming pressure over our island is consistently >1020 hPa.) Perhaps another Feb 2005-type snowfall?

Feel free to discuss or correct as needed. Don't worry, I wouldn't dream of finding out the addresses of anyone who disagrees with my thoughts, and turning up in the middle of the night:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

does that mean it's on its way to Dublin city centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 willie mason

At least i can look out my window and see a snow capped mountain on the horizon :pac:....not sure if it's blackstairs or Mt Leinster :confused: Wind is picking up here for sure. Can see the distant clouds off out wexford coast direction.

Mt Leinster is in the Blackstairs. I can see them, too. Like two sugarcubes. I'm in Waterford, too. I don't know if it's good or bad that we never get "interesting" weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rambling rose

Why, oh why will it not snow in Kilkenny? :(

Someone give me some hope.........please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Murphdog94 wrote: »
    WOW!!!
    That's unbelievable!
    Such a contrast from south dublin which isn't that far away!

Is even heavier now, is so heavy the snow looks like a fog, that the only way i can describe it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Light/Mod snow here, we need heavier stuff for stickage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Annamoe is so close to the mountains though hence the precipitation. Higher up they have been buried in this for weeks now. Annamoe is beautiful though and gets more snow than most places on the East coast. More snow on way to Dublin I think.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Moderate snow at Belfast Aldergrove for the last hour

EGAA 061150Z 05014KT 1200 R07/1000 R25/1000 SHSN FEW006 BKN009 M00/M01 Q1013
    EGAA 061120Z 03010KT 2600 SHSN FEW009 SCT035 01/M02 Q1013

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Turning light again here, thought we would get a better intensity, needs it to stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

SNOWING HEAVLY IN DUBLIN 13!!!! :):):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Drizzle here now..5mm of percip today if only if was lying on the ground :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

ok I have to drive from Kiklenny to to Dundalk later, is it worth the risk, or should I cancel? please advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Clouds moving in over Carrickmacross now, blocking the blue skies we've had all morning...........and its starting to snow,a little sprinkling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Just started to snow in Dublin CC, light at the minute but the sky looks like it could dump a few bit on us !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Heavy snow shower in Dublin 6

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

:D Famous last words
    Oh I wish, none of the snowfall that the outskirts has recieved has really stuck in the city centre. The most frozen stuff on the ground was that dangerous crap during New Years Day. But I'm very willing to be proven wrong;)

Edit: I just looked out the window, after I posted that. Just to make sure I didn't speak too soon. Whoops...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Major snow Dublin CC, and very dark suddenly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

At least i can look out my window and see a snow capped mountain on the horizon :pac:....not sure if it's blackstairs or Mt Leinster :confused: Wind is picking up here for sure. Can see the distant clouds off out wexford coast direction.

If there's a massive aerial on top its leinster.
    If its very bland and perfectly rounded its blackstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 krobo

wow, i think this is the first daytime snow ive seen so far. radar for 11:30 and 11:45 look fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Thats gone from light snow to HEAVY snow !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Johnny1999 wrote: »
    ok I have to drive from Kiklenny to to Dundalk later, is it worth the risk, or should I cancel? please advise?

Stay inland until around Dublin and you should be fine. I bet the M50 is in bits south of Bray. Don't even dream of crossing over the mountains.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

ESE to the city darkening.

101125.JPG

SE towards bray.

101126.JPG

NE getting darker, flakes.

101127.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

light shower of snaw/sleet in greystones all morning, temp 3-4c so not likely to stick until the temp drops in the late afternoon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement