Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Murphdog94 wrote: »
    And as always someooe who wasn't going for it gets it! :P
    Not many people on the internet can claim to be a 2000th poster
    Congratulations my friend because YOU are champion of the internet!! :) :P
    I missed twice!
    In other news..........
    Incredible scenes here in Knocklyon Dublin 16!! :D:D:D:D:D

I reckon you will be able to have a go for the 3000th post fairly soon if the snow keeps up in Dublin ,

Do any of you lads think it will make it as far inland as Nass/Newbridge ?

Temp 0.7
    Dp-4.2

• Registered Users Posts: 38 CuteOne

HUGE flakes !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

Very heavy now in Swords. Quite blizzard like. Keep it coming.......

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

nice heavy flakes coming down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Another potential event tomorrow in from the northwest, possibly giving snow to Connacht and into western Leinster and north Munster. BBC weather graphics show it like that anyway,but as MT Cranium pointed out on another thread, it could be a messy mix as the system picks up warmer maritime air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Blizzard conditions now!!!!!!:D All over Dublin I suspect especially Castlknoock/Blan/Lucan.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Murphdog94 wrote: »
    And as always someooe who wasn't going for it gets it! :P
    Not many people on the internet can claim to be a 2000th poster
    Congratulations my friend because YOU are champion of the internet!! :) :P
    I missed twice!
    In other news..........
    Incredible scenes here in Knocklyon Dublin 16!! :D:D:D:D:D

wow i feel so privileged!!! It's snow though, how long will it last in dublin city?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Argh! Jealous is not the word! Glorious sunshine here in Galway, frost mostly thawed. Massive chunks of ice floating down the Corrib from the lake, first time I've seen that!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Huge big anvils visible to my east, flakes in the breeze..something is stirring again...

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lady_North wrote: »
    Very heavy now in Swords. Quite blizzard like. Keep it coming.......

This is disturbing! :eek: You have much on the ground?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Bucketing down again SC - plenty more on its way to you.

Trog did it rain much last night ? There was a lot less this am ( roads still solid though) but that last few showers topped me up again.. Anyone know what roads around Bray are like ? ( in the town)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

Snowing heavily in Dublin 2.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

One serious disadvantage to all this snow is that some very thirsty cattle have to have hundreds of buckets of water hauled to them every day for the last 3 weeks, i'm sick of it!!!

Woooaaaaaahhhh - Blizzard !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Yeah, i've a feeling we're going to get disappointed, again!!!:mad:

There is potential for this to reach Kilkenny, wait and see or wait and disappointed, I expect it but we have snow here already which is not melting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Bary is a white out bring it on

One serious disadvantage to all this snow is that some very thirsty cattle have to have hundreds of buckets of water hauled to them every day for the last 3 weeks, i'm sick of it!!!

Did you see poor Mickey Joe on the news last night ? God love him .... Really sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

I hope it snows for you down in Waterford and Cork and Kilkenny....I really do with a bit of luck. Blizzards now but nothing last night.:D:D:D:D:D If it continues could close Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

ffarrell wrote: »
    Blizzard conditions now!!!!!!:D All over Dublin I suspect especially Castlknoock/Blan/Lucan.:D

Teh prettay :)
    jenzz wrote: »
    Did you see poor Mickey Joe on the news last night ? God love him .... Really sad

That was actually really, really awful. There was an audible 'noooo' in the room when that came on.

(I'm assuming you're talking about the farmer with the sheep :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I wonder will we have a record weather thread today..or maybe most posts in a thread in one day EVAR on Boards!!
    My post prediction 5000 by midnight!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Rathfarnham basking in Alpine like conditions........thought to self : Are Penneys still selling that snow gear...???? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm in Firhouse and it's like a blizzard here right now. Easily an inch in the last 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Min wrote: »
    There is potential for this to reach Kilkenny, wait and see or wait and disappointed, I expect it but we have snow here already which is not melting.....

Yep I can see the hills from here, thing is I may have to drive to Dundalk with an overnight! so will miss it anyway!!:mad:

LookingFor wrote: »
    Teh prettay :)

That was actually really, really awful. There was an audible 'noooo' in the room when that came on.

(I'm assuming you're talking about the farmer with the sheep :( )

Yeah shed a little tear for him... Imagine doing that every day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Weather Warning

Issued at 05 January 2010 - 21:00
    Weather Warning
    Snow showers in east and southeast Leinster will be heavy in places, giving further accumulations of 3 cm or more in some areas (from midday Wednesday onwards) - but will die out Wednesday evening or early Wednesday night. Widespread frost and ice will occur across the country Wednesday evening and Wednesday night, with a few freezing fog patches later. Scattered wintry showers will continue along the northwest and west coasts and will extend to the southwest coast overnight - even where these fall as rain or sleet they could increase the risk of icy conditions.

I think there will be a lot more than 3cm by the sounds of it !!!

Gale Warning

North to Northeast winds will reach gale force at times today on coasts from Belfast Lough to Carnsore Point to Valentia and on the Irish Sea
    Issued at 06:00 on 06-Jan-2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Moderate enough snow in north of Finglas for past 15 minutes. Looks like hail or sleet failing now. A bit breezy now too. Far from a fecking blizzard. Some people are sensationalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Bucketing down in Dublin CC, however most of it is melting on impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

Wednesday, 6 January 2010 11:16
    Met Éireann has issued a severe weather warning, with up to 5cm of snow forecast to fall in east Leinster today.

Latest travel and weather updates:
    AA Roadwatch | Dublin Bus | Bus Éireann | Airports | Met Éireann

AA Roadwatch says extreme care should be taken on all routes particularly on secondary roads, in sheltered areas and in housing estates.

The cold spell has also raised questions about the safety of hundreds of thousands of children who are due to return to school tomorrow after the Christmas and New Year holiday.

It has been another very cold night of ice, sleet, snow and freezing fog and more is expected throughout the day.

Met Éireann says heaviest snow falls last night were in south Dublin, Wexford and Wicklow.

More wintry showers are forecast in those areas again this morning and also in north Dublin, Meath and Louth.

Road temperatures are below 0C on all national routes.

There is snow on the N2 in Monaghan and secondary roads are still very icy especially across counties Kerry, Cork, Donegal, Monaghan, Cavan, Meath, Wicklow, Offaly, Kilkenny and right through Connacht.

County councils in the northwest say that all main roads have been treated and are passable.

However, secondary roads in many cases in Sligo, Leitrim and Donegal are still dangerous.

Sligo County Council has received fresh supplies of salt and says all main roads and Sligo town are fine but the Strandhill Road is dangerous in parts and extreme care is needed on secondary roads.

In Co Donegal, many schools have decided not to reopen tomorrow as planned due to the weather and dangerous driving conditions.

In Galway, main roads around the city and county are passable but conditions remain icy in housing estates and on by-roads.

Gardaí in Castlebar are warning that secondary roads around the town and around Ballina have still not been gritted and remain dangerous.

Most roads in Cork and Kerry remain passable this morning although gardaí are warning of dangerous driving conditions on the N8 in Mitchelstown in north Cork, on the Youghal bypass in east Cork, on the Cork to Mallow Road at Rathduff and around Bantry in west Cork.

In Cork city there is ice on the road at Donnybrook Hill in Douglas and the area should be avoided.

Gardaí in Kerry say roads around Tralee and Killarney are particularly icy.

Flights too could be affected as a number of UK airports were closed last night due to snow and ice.

The southern counties of England have had some 20cm of snow.

Meanwhile, Deputy President-elect of the Irish Farmers' Association Eddie Downey has called on the relevant authorities to rectify what he calls the 'inadequate response' to the cold weather.

Mr Downey said a road salting and snow-clearing plan must now be put in place.

He says that in the short-term, county councils should provide heaps of grit on roadsides that would allow local people to treat trouble spots.

The very cold weather could last at least another week.

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Rathfarnham basking in Alpine like conditions........thought to self : Are Penneys still selling that snow gear...???? :D

My friend accidently picked up snow gear ( instead of rain gear) for the kids. All in 1 suits for 12 €... Bargain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 W23

Stopped snowing in UCD. Gaps in the clouds to the North. Cloudy to the east and west though. Snow sticking in some places but mostly melting. expecting more snow soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement