Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

looking out my window, ALL you can see is snowball flyin by!!!
    Loads of kids out in it, it's great!!!

lol the taf is now casting :D

Massive snowstorm continues here,ya wouldn't see yer hand in it.. \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

linguist wrote: »
    It's mostly hail here in Donabate at the moment. There must be questions regarding schools reopening tomorrow. Given the low temperatures forecast for tonight, can they risk kids making their way along treacherous footpaths in the morning?

Not a hope of them opening here in Gorey tomorrow, even if it stopped now it would be way too much for kids to be going to school in. Definitely think most schools will be closed from south Dublin all the way down the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Just came bac from bein out in it.... Perfect snow, just my feet wer startin to freeze , and my puppy look like he was startin to get a bit cold also! ha

:)

Typicall Irish red tape. Jaze. Called the school to see if its open tomorrow. No answer, called Dept of Ed, they say schools open at their own discretion??? its blizzarding here in Lucan, and the schools havent bothered to contact parents. The school my daughter attends in on a hill in Lucan. I imagine that in the morning its going to be one very dangerous spot. Can it be so hard for them to have some announcement on the answer machine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Just came bac from bein out in it.... Perfect snow, just my feet wer startin to freeze , and my puppy look like he was startin to get a bit cold also! ha

:)

Did D11 get a good coating ?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

any reports from Greystones / Kilcoole area?

Snow getting heavier but it doesnt look like sticking. Has been snow / sleet all morning on and off but getting heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Lucan :D
    5mWPnl.jpg

xBtAY.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

In my opinion all schools in the Dublin area will be closed...especially West/North Dublin which has thick snow and ice...it never thawed here at all since 31 December:D:D:D:D and it is still snowing hard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

francosp wrote: »
    Did D11 get a good coating ?

Yep ....finglas and id say a good inch :)

Ill get a pic up in a min just dryin my dog ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Blanch a few mins ago:

zy8108.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Maynooth is pretty clear at the moment.No snow. Although there does look to be a large cloud bank heading our way....

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

They just said on the news that a lot of schools aren't reopening and that they're in the process of calling parents. I'd say there'll be very few, if any, schools open until Monday. Lucky kids!

And their teachers too...of whom I am one!:) Snow on!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Ah cheers man, I'll look forward to that when I get home !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'm just looking at the cars sliding around the car park in DG Gowan. good grief, it's bad.

Think I'll abandon ship in the next few minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

trogdor wrote: »
    Blizzard here, although not accumulting past a thin layer on the ground, don't think i've ever seen snow this heavy..
    Excellant, long may it continue, same here!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Jake1 wrote: »
    Typicall Irish red tape. Jaze. Called the school to see if its open tomorrow. No answer, called Dept of Ed, they say schools open at their own discretion??? its blizzarding here in Lucan, and the schools havent bothered to contact parents. The school my daughter attends in on a hill in Lucan. I imagine that in the morning its going to be one very dangerous spot. Can it be so hard for them to have some announcement on the answer machine?

St Andrews NS is closed till Monday if thats any help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Starting to build up a bit here as the temp falls:) 1.4C/-0.1C now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Jake1 wrote: »

Make your own mind up. Never mind the teachers. One thing you can be guaranteed of is that the playgrounds will not be gritted tomorrow. Keep your little one at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Nothing yet in Navan but there are clouds pushing in from the east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Ha!

Great stuff, I'll be on a very slow 83 getting home later so!

Stoped now in Dub CC

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Its actually farcical what happened here today, absolutely laughable.

I should just give up on this snow thing, its never gonna happen.

So pished.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Steady mix of hail and snow for the last 45 mins or so in Lusk... I was in Skerries where it started as rain about an hour ago, temp there at first was 4.5, dropped 2c in the space of 5 mins and quickly turned to snow.

Lighter snow but a good covering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Lovely day down here in the midlands, freezing cold, sunny, and a biting wind.

I can see the bank of cloud tops over to my east, on the horizon and just above, but with all the will in the world, we ain't going to get anything from this. Still a couple of cm's lying and the roads are poor apart from the main ones. Might be a chance tomorrow of a few flakes.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Its actually farcical what happened here today, absolutely laughable.

I should just give up on this snow thing, its never gonna happen.

So pished.

What??? None in your area? - You are a stones throw from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Went very fine for about 10 mins there, but maybe starting to pick up again a little, but with some grapaul/hail mixed in I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Never seen snow so heavy before. Blizzard in Leixlip!

Mr.S wrote: »
    Not to cause offense, but have some cop on? I mean if its to dangerous/impossible for you to get to the school, then don't go :confused: Surley you don't need the school to tell you that?

No offence taken. I wont be sending her. But i do think schools should at least update their websites. My daughter can walk if she has too, but what would be the point if she got their and it was closed. Thats all.
    No cohesion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Felixdhc wrote: »
    What??? None in your area? - You are a stones throw from me!

There is about 2/3 inches in Swords.

Nothing here, infact less almost all the other stuff on the ground is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Big Big flakes now!!!
    come on the snow!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement