Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book for Veterinary

Options
  • 05-01-2010 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

What's the first year book for Veterinary? Does anyone know where I can get it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

AFAIK there are different books for the different modules, what subject area are you looking for in particular?

KeyLimePie, are you not doing Arts or something? I vaguely remember a post of yours a while back saying something like that (I'm not a stalker, honest :))

Are you sure they use that book? It's a human physiology book, and there are very good animal physiology books available, which I use in my course (one very good one by a guy called Tortora). I'm fairly sure I remember one of my lecturers, who also takes some veterinary modules, saying that they use that book, in fact.

There are other areas they cover in first year as well... OP, there is a guy called Ado86 who studies veterinary, on another thread about veterinary medicine who would be able to answer your question better than us. PM him or leave a post on that thread. He will be able to tell you what books they used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

WeeBushy wrote: »
    KeyLimePie, are you not doing Arts or something? I vaguely remember a post of yours a while back saying something like that (I'm not a stalker, honest :))

Are you sure they use that book? It's a human physiology book, and there are very good animal physiology books available, which I use in my course (one very good one by a guy called Tortora). I'm fairly sure I remember one of my lecturers, who also takes some veterinary modules, saying that they use that book, in fact.

There are other areas they cover in first year as well... OP, there is a guy called Ado86 who studies veterinary, on another thread about veterinary medicine who would be able to answer your question better than us. PM him or leave a post on that thread. He will be able to tell you what books they used.

Well yes I do do arts :P but my best friend does vetinary and she explained to me that they use that book because it's the exact same thing as the animal physiology book except cheaper

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    Well yes I do do arts :P but my best friend does vetinary and she explained to me that they use that book because it's the exact same thing as the animal physiology book except cheaper

Fair enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Up Mayo

Thanks everybody!

I'm looking for the books of each of the modules in first year.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

WeeBushy wrote: »
    OP, there is a guy called Ado86 who studies veterinary, on another thread about veterinary medicine who would be able to answer your question better than us. PM him or leave a post on that thread. He will be able to tell you what books they used.

Think the pronoun you're looking for is her! Lol
    To be honest there are absolutely loads of veterinary books for 1st year, the list is endless if you have a bottomless pit of money (vet books are very expensive because there is such a small market for them).

For physiology, the physioEx is a human physiology book and is only used for 5-6 assignments over 1st and 2nd year and to be honest its useless.
    There is a veterinary physiology book but to be honest its very basic and not great, as far as I remember its 'Physiology of domestic animals' by Sjasstad (or something similar, cant 100% remember the name). The main physiology book used is Silverthorn (author)- Human physiology. It provides the detail required.
    For anatomy there are 2 main books Veterinary anatomy- Dyce, Sack and Wensing or Pasquini- Anatomy of domestic animals. But there are plenty more available but these cover all the broad basics of most species...
    Eh what else...
    Merck veterinary manual for PBL....
    A good biology book, a college biology book higher than leaving cert standard.
    You are given a number of books from the college which are bound printouts...obviously you pay for the paper.
    And then a lot of books are available in the veterinary library. There is high demand for books now with the extra postgraduate vet course but it really is only advisable to buy core textbooks because you really dont need them for more than the year and can always go to the library if there is something that you're looking for.

As to where you can buy the books, I have found that amazon.co.uk usually (but not always) have the best prices. Online is usually cheaper because they cater to a bigger market with the other vet schools as well. If you're looking for a shop, the only place is Hodges Figgis in Dawson street (Dublin), and some but not many are stocked by the UCD campus bookshop (which is usually a rip-off). You should shop around, there can be quite a difference and when you have a few to buy its well worth a couple of €€€'s !

Ado86 wrote: »

:o

To be honest there are absolutely loads of veterinary books for 1st year, the list is endless if you have a bottomless pit of money (vet books are very expensive because there is such a small market for them).

For physiology, the physioEx is a human physiology book and is only used for 5-6 assignments over 1st and 2nd year and to be honest its useless.
    There is a veterinary physiology book but to be honest its very basic and not great, as far as I remember its 'Physiology of domestic animals' by Sjasstad (or something similar, cant 100% remember the name). The main physiology book used is Silverthorn (author)- Human physiology. It provides the detail required.
    For anatomy there are 2 main books Veterinary anatomy- Dyce, Sack and Wensing or Pasquini- Anatomy of domestic animals. But there are plenty more available but these cover all the broad basics of most species...
    Eh what else...
    Merck veterinary manual for PBL....
    A good biology book, a college biology book higher than leaving cert standard.
    You are given a number of books from the college which are bound printouts...obviously you pay for the paper.
    And then a lot of books are available in the veterinary library. There is high demand for books now with the extra postgraduate vet course but it really is only advisable to buy core textbooks because you really dont need them for more than the year and can always go to the library if there is something that you're looking for.

As to where you can buy the books, I have found that amazon.co.uk usually (but not always) have the best prices. Online is usually cheaper because they cater to a bigger market with the other vet schools as well. If you're looking for a shop, the only place is Hodges Figgis in Dawson street (Dublin), and some but not many are stocked by the UCD campus bookshop (which is usually a rip-off). You should shop around, there can be quite a difference and when you have a few to buy its well worth a couple of €€€'s !

Thank you Ado!

I have the Merick Veterinary Manual, but it looks so long and daunting! Can you really do all that work in one year?!

Merck manual isn't really a book that you use as a textbook per se, but is more of a reference tool for looking up the basics quickly.
    You do cover a massive amount of information each year though...
    No point trying to get a head start to be honest though, it won't be much use...and Im not just saying that...kind of hard to explain...everyone covers all the material from the begining and the course keeps up such a pace that you'll be swamped within a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Merck manual isn't really a book that you use as a textbook per se, but is more of a reference tool for looking up the basics quickly.
    You do cover a massive amount of information each year though...
    No point trying to get a head start to be honest though, it won't be much use...and Im not just saying that...kind of hard to explain...everyone covers all the material from the begining and the course keeps up such a pace that you'll be swamped within a few weeks.

You'd be able to get everything done though wouldn't ya? Is it worse than the Leaving Cert?
    What kinda results did you and your classmates used to get in school?

It's not too bad though, is it? If I do a few hours study every day in UCD ( if I get there ) would that be good?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks again!

It is very different to the leaving cert... don't know if there really is a comparison. But it certainly isn't easy! And unfortunately it gets harder as the years go on...
    I don't know what sort of results people got in school, but I always did well. In the end it really only matters how many points you get. Which really is a shame, some people end up in veterinary because they lose on a place in medicine but don't particularly want to be a vet but like the idea of doing veterinary! It is very different from the life that is portrayed! Very very far from glamorous! Im on placement at the moment and lets just say its not pleasant being out in this weather!

Advertisement