Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save on heating bills

Options
  • 05-01-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,853 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I have agas central heating in my home and I live on my own. I was just wondering would turining off the radiators in rooms I don't use be the best way to save on heating bills, or what other ways in terms of using the central heating system would be ideal for cutting costs. I don't want to have the house completely freezing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yep, turn off the rads in places you don't use or don't need heated. You could also turn down the heating and put on more clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

1/ Good use of your timer to either provide a bit of hot water or heating in short small bursts through the day as needed.

2/ Turn down boiler heat output if possible in cooler periods.

3/ Use an electric element for hot water in summer (only takes 10 mins for enough for a quick shower, washing up etc.

4/ keep all internal doors closed. Use under door excluders and surround frame seals to keep heat in the room.

5/ Draught proof all windows and doors. Keep sliding vents shut except where ventilation demands they are used. Also I sealed the extracter in the downstairs Dis WC through the winter and just used it for wee wee's.

6/ Although not 'recommended' I sealed the open vents required for the gas fire in the living room and then didn't use the fire. You'd be amazed at how a large open hole in yout wall in winter makes the room cold (thus forcing you to use the inefficient fire?!? After I did this in combination with the above I was able to have my heating on for around 4 hours per day (in 8 x 30 minute slots) through the really cold winter we had a while back and reduced my gas bill by over €100 compared to the milder winter the year before.

Any additional insulation you can add is good, roof is easiest generally. (and then draught seal loft hatch!)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Gas is cheaper per kWh than electricity - leave the immersion off, even in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lantus wrote: »
    6/ Although not 'recommended' I sealed the open vents required for the gas fire in the living room and then didn't use the fire. You'd be amazed at how a large open hole in yout wall in winter makes the room cold (thus forcing you to use the inefficient fire?!?
    The one day you, or someone staying with you, forgets/doesn't know about the vent being shut, everyone dies.

Silently.

Dies.

Or if they survive, they sue you for trying to kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭jiltloop

6/ Although not 'recommended' I sealed the open vents required for the gas fire in the living room and then didn't use the fire. You'd be amazed at how a large open hole in yout wall in winter makes the room cold (thus forcing you to use the inefficient fire?!? After I did this in combination with the above I was able to have my heating on for around 4 hours per day (in 8 x 30 minute slots) through the really cold winter we had a while back and reduced my gas bill by over €100 compared to the milder winter the year before.

Not recommended for good reason man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We live in an old famhouse with no gas or oil heating and no immersion tank heater.
    There is a wood burner that has a back boiler and heats the water and also heats a few radiators.
    All upstairs doors are left open.

We also heat large pans of water atop the burner.

We supplement with electric heaters sparingly.

And there is an electric shower.

And yes, the best suggestion here is extra clothes. By far.

Old houses need air also. No vents etc Just (!) doors and windows.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Hi,
    Suggestions - for heating savings. The most cost effective manner to save.

1. Insulation, insulation, insulation
    - Cost effective and works the moment it goes in, even if you buy some roll out (rockwool ) and do it your self in the attic space
    ( don't forget to insulate the inner side of the attic hatch & insulate the cold water storage tank / or 'header tank' - as this has a risk of freezing in winter when you prevent the heat from getting into the roof space).
    Grants are available to have it installed professionally.

Insulate or lag exposed pipes, a tank with a lagging jacked is useless so if you can spend on changing your hot water storage tank to the insulated type will keep the water warmer for longer - thus costing you less energy.

Point of note : if you add up all your fuel and heating bills - most homes use 60% of this to heat water across the year !

2. Blocking up vents -
    In a house with gas appliances, this is madness - and a serious risk of Carbon monoxide poisoning & death.

Even if not in rooms with gas appliances - you run increased risk of moisture build up and damp, slide the slider on the vent to a nearly closed position in a bedroom or two, but definitively not in 'wet rooms' ( i.e. Kitchen, bathrooms, etc.)

3. Rad controls, or timed controls on heating system. Rad controls or TRV's can be fitted to the rads that show you what setting a rad has on ( 1 - 5) scale, these will cost to be fitted - however grants are available.

Overall timed controls on the heating system, these give you flexibility as well as room 'stats' - i.e. a dial on the wall to set the room temperature, and these call the heating on or off when desired temp. is reached.

4. Draughts at windows and doors - ensure seals are intact, replacement is cost effective if a seal is compromised.

5. Solar panels. Yes an investment - and I won't go town promoting these as my company installs them, however I'll tell you what I saw in my day today:
    -This morning I saw the oil truck pull in to my neighbors to fill the tank - 1000 litres =1000 euro's. Madness I thought to myself - shaking my head.

- This afternoon I went to a property to inspect a solar system the lads had just finished, Approx. 2.30 pm I arrived to check the work. A 250 litre hot water tank was heated to 58.9 deg. by the solar panels. No immersion or heating had been on in the property all day.

I've heard stories of 3000 euro per year for home heating oil & 700 euro gas bills in the winter from homeowners in Dublin, and these aren't mansions getting these bills, I guess thats why they call it sustainable energy, because there is no way I could cope with those kind of bills just to keep my family warm and in hot water !

If you want further energy advice - and simple tips to save, send me a P/m and i'll provide the link to my blog.

Mike F

Hi,
    Suggestions - for heating savings. The most cost effective manner to save.

1. Insulation, insulation, insulation
    - Cost effective and works the moment it goes in, even if you buy some roll out (rockwool ) and do it your self in the attic space
    ( don't forget to insulate the inner side of the attic hatch & insulate the cold water storage tank / or 'header tank' - as this has a risk of freezing in winter when you prevent the heat from getting into the roof space).
    Grants are available to have it installed professionally.

Insulate or lag exposed pipes, a tank with a lagging jacked is useless so if you can spend on changing your hot water storage tank to the insulated type will keep the water warmer for longer - thus costing you less energy.

Point of note : if you add up all your fuel and heating bills - most homes use 60% of this to heat water across the year !

2. Blocking up vents -
    In a house with gas appliances, this is madness - and a serious risk of Carbon monoxide poisoning & death.

Even if not in rooms with gas appliances - you run increased risk of moisture build up and damp, slide the slider on the vent to a nearly closed position in a bedroom or two, but definitively not in 'wet rooms' ( i.e. Kitchen, bathrooms, etc.)

3. Rad controls, or timed controls on heating system. Rad controls or TRV's can be fitted to the rads that show you what setting a rad has on ( 1 - 5) scale, these will cost to be fitted - however grants are available.

Overall timed controls on the heating system, these give you flexibility as well as room 'stats' - i.e. a dial on the wall to set the room temperature, and these call the heating on or off when desired temp. is reached.

4. Draughts at windows and doors - ensure seals are intact, replacement is cost effective if a seal is compromised.

5. Solar panels. Yes an investment - and I won't go town promoting these as my company installs them, however I'll tell you what I saw in my day today:
    -This morning I saw the oil truck pull in to my neighbors to fill the tank - 1000 litres =1000 euro's. Madness I thought to myself - shaking my head.

- This afternoon I went to a property to inspect a solar system the lads had just finished, Approx. 2.30 pm I arrived to check the work. A 250 litre hot water tank was heated to 58.9 deg. by the solar panels. No immersion or heating had been on in the property all day.

I've heard stories of 3000 euro per year for home heating oil & 700 euro gas bills in the winter from homeowners in Dublin, and these aren't mansions getting these bills, I guess thats why they call it sustainable energy, because there is no way I could cope with those kind of bills just to keep my family warm and in hot water !

If you want further energy advice - and simple tips to save, send me a P/m and i'll provide the link to my blog.

Mike F

Interesting indeed. I would never cover/insulate the hot water tank as it acts like a large radiator and is heated by the solid fuel burner. Also it lives in what is called the hot press so we need the heat from it to air clothes and bedding stored in there.

The fire/burner is the heart of this house. Heats the water, the radiators, food cooks atop of it.

No fancy timers etc etc etc.

We have no oil heating here; when we have had a house rented with it in we have never been able to affored on the pension to use it.

If i asked for solar, the ll would have a conniption! His brother has recently had built a timber framed house with solar panels and uses almost no fuel.

We are frugal and hardy. You omit to mention clothes! Like many old ones, we tend to keep one room warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Buy a heated throw/overblanket - 100w to feel very toasty beats pumping out 2 KW electric to heat a room.

mike65 wrote: »
    Buy a heated throw/overblanket - 100w to feel very toasty beats pumping out 2 KW electric to heat a room.

Great... I use hot water bottles.. my cats sleep atop the bed... Claws... Old saying from Northern Territories.. about ie being a six dog night...;)

Bleach bottles make great hot water bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

The posts regarding death and destruction in relation to the vents are a bit OTT!

Firstly you need to ensure that everyone in the house knows not to put the fire on. In most houses this will be either one or two people generally and possibly kids as well (who would be much less inclined to use the fire anyway.) which isn't too difficult.

Carbon monoxide is a product of incomplete combustion so unless you actually use the fire the risk is essentially zero.

Carbon monoxode detectors can be bought for a fiver. I would suggest everyone gets one regardless if there is a gas appliance on the property.

My property has vents on the windows so background ventilation is no issue.

The adjacent estate built before this one has several streets with no vents at all (mistake by the builder) and no one has died or even come close. Although Bord Gais did come around waving their arms screaming everyone was going to die. (They didn't) (Please note I am not advocating they shouldn't be there. They are an important feature if you choose to use your fire.)

Perspective please in all things. Yes they are a safety feature but like all things it is a perfectly managable and can lead to MASSIVE savings on the gas bill during periods of extreme cold. If you are responsible and manage the situation it will be fine.

Ultimatley use your own common sense. Plenty of my neighbours do the same and they can only report +ve things in terms of comfort and huge financial savings. None of my neighbours are stupid enough to use the fire knowing they have blocked the vents. If they do then it's their own fault as you say.

Like I say, some people can climb a mountain in a storm wearing shorts and flip flops and think nothing of it, others can put on every piece of safety equipmet known to man and fall over on the flat concrete path outside their own house. Risk and danger are perceived differently by everyone in relation to knowledge, wisdom and experience.

I passed 6 people today driving at 60+ in a 50 zone and using a mobile phone. There are no bold red texts on any posts condeming that because most people either do it or dont perceive it as a risk. Same goes for all the red lights broken and other shocking driving that goes on. People think they are masters of ther destiny in a car and within their rights and even clever to break the laws of the road becasue they think they understand the risk and consequences. As very few people have any great understanding of gasses and combustion then they are much more likley to see death and danger everywhere. I am not one of those people having consulted on its installation and correct usage in many building projects.

Just to be clear if anyone is in doubt dont do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The posts regarding death and destruction in relation to the vents are a bit OTT!

Firstly you need to ensure that everyone in the house knows not to put the fire on.
    Correction: you disconnect the fire.
    Carbon monoxode detectors can be bought for a fiver. I would suggest everyone gets one regardless if there is a gas appliance on the property.
    Once they're loud enough to wake you after a few beers.

Advertisement