Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray Dog, Galway

Options
  • 05-01-2010 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

There is a dog at my work place, been here since 9am and is just wandering up and down the road following people. has already nearly been hit by a bus. I cant leave work, will do at lunch and bring him home til I can figure out what to do. have emailed Galway Bay FM and I102-104 to ask them to announce. what else can I do? the stupid people I work with wont let him inside, keep closing the door on him. he is very friendly, seems to be black & while sheepdog cross. I thought he was a young dog maybe 1.5/2 years but other girl said "hes old he'll find his own way home" mad.gifmad.gif

(Copied from Animal & Pet issues)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Up Mayo

TillyGirl wrote: »
    There is a dog at my work place, been here since 9am and is just wandering up and down the road following people. has already nearly been hit by a bus. I cant leave work, will do at lunch and bring him home til I can figure out what to do. have emailed Galway Bay FM and I102-104 to ask them to announce. what else can I do? the stupid people I work with wont let him inside, keep closing the door on him. he is very friendly, seems to be black & while sheepdog cross. I thought he was a young dog maybe 1.5/2 years but other girl said "hes old he'll find his own way home" mad.gifmad.gif

(Copied from Animal & Pet issues)

Get back to work! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Call the GSPCA on 091 563631.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Call the GSPCA on 091 563631.
    I read that and started singing in my head "It's fun to stay at the YMCA GSPCA" Does this mean I'm gay?

Btw OP, what street? There's plenty of dogs that hang around areas. I used to live close to Benson up by Presentation, a reddish dog with whitish face like. He is well known in the area, just wanders around all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Ya give a location, and then at least somebody might know of a potential dog missing.

Not good for a dog to be outside in this cold. It's not good for them.

Is there any collar on the dog? If so, check inside in case there's a name/number inscribed on inside of the collar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Magnus wrote: »
    I read that and started singing in my head "It's fun to stay at the YMCA GSPCA" Does this mean I'm gay?

Btw OP, what street? There's plenty of dogs that hang around areas. I used to live close to Benson up by Presentation, a reddish dog with whitish face like. He is well known in the area, just wanders around all day.

Just for animals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

What is it about Galway and the amount of dogs roaming about? I've never seen it anywhere else in the country. Are they strays or do people just let their dogs out to play in the traffic all day while they're at work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

its at the GFSC on Moneenageisha Rd, near huntsman/wellpark. hes gone now but will have a look round at lunch.

had a collar but no tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

hmmmmmmmmmm sounds familiar.. I was in McDonalds in Westside on Sunday and there was a sheep dog there to.. very friendly and followed everyone that went out the door but would always come back again.. He also had a collar (black) with no tag.. Wonder was it the same dog.. Although the GFSC is a pretty distance from Westside.

oh god I dont know, poor thing. he came from GMIT this morning followed a guy at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

Aw the poor thing.. When I was leaving McDonald's he seemed to be hanging around some kids and they were playing with him.. I assumed he was with them.

• Advertisement

now its snowing :(

if anyone sees this dog and can take him in til I can come get him please do.

In other news the small blonde dog that lived on Bohermore and wandered downtown each day died before Christmas.

The owner sent a letter to the paper.

In other news the small blonde dog that lived on Bohermore and wandered downtown each day died before Christmas.

The owner sent a letter to the paper.

what?? they were happy to let the dog wander all day? did the dog die of natural causes or get milled by a bus??

bloody hell some people dont deserve to have an animal.

kevcos wrote: »
    Bring him down to the local Chinese take away, they might have 'room' for him. Does he like satay sauce? As in basting in.

very helpful, thanks I will try that.

what?? they were happy to let the dog wander all day? did the dog die of natural causes or get milled by a bus??

bloody hell some people dont deserve to have an animal.
    It was of old age. The dog was probably more street wise than a lot of pedestrians. I think I remember it walking down the footpath on Shop Street before it was pedestrianized.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Very sorry. I've deleted my post. You are obliviously a caring person fair play to you.

Try http://www.galway-spca.com

The only thing is if the dog isn't claimed he will be eventually put asleep, dont call them and he's left in the cold or knocked down by a car:(

Dog licencing laws badly need to be reviewed. You would think man's best friend would be afforded a little more protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Any luck? Did you find him again on your lunch?

A least it's stopped snowing and didn't really set

Very sorry. I've deleted my post. You are obliviously a caring person fair play to you.

Try http://www.galway-spca.com

The only thing is if the dog isn't claimed he will be eventually put asleep, dont call them and he's left in the cold or knocked down by a car:(

Dog licencing laws badly need to be reviewed. You would think man's best friend would be afforded a little more protection.

Thanks! Sorry I am over senstive about this, feel bad that I didnt do more when I could.

I couldn't find him at lunch walked round the area for the hour but not a sight of him. Going into town at half 4 so eyes will be peeled for him. Poor lad. Fingers crossed someone has fed him, he was licking the water off the ground outside work. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

You are being waay too sensitive about this, dogs have lived through harder times and survived. This dog probably has a home if he has a collar so how about leaving him alone to do what he wants. Just because he's wandering doesn't mean he's lost, dogs are naturally inquisitive animals and are smarter than you give them credit for. City dogs will often wait at the lights etc before crossing, seen it many times.

In college we had a dog hang around our estate all day but when night came he went back to his home which was over 2 miles away (friend recognised him) and he never got hurt / injured.

And the drinking off the ground lol that's nothing, dogs eat **** for gods sake. I'm sorry if i'm coming across as a bit mean but your being pretty naive here. I suppose you'd like to walk around with him in your handbag (as if that's a better life).

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

You are obliviously a caring person fair play to you.

Oblivious to the dogs independence lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

hi tilly
    i work in th the wellpark retail centre and a customer said that there was a dog running round loose in the retail park.. this was about 3pm or that.. she said he looked like a german shepard though.. i couldnt get a chance to pop outside to check at the time.. when i got a chance later on i couldnt see hom anywhere..
    hope he be ok!
    sorry i know this is probably of no relevance whatsoever but just thought id share it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Im sure it ll be grand.Dogs well able to survive without human help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

you will get a few quid if you bring it around to the nearest chineese restaurant :P

You are being waay too sensitive about this, dogs have lived through harder times and survived. This dog probably has a home if he has a collar so how about leaving him alone to do what he wants. Just because he's wandering doesn't mean he's lost, dogs are naturally inquisitive animals and are smarter than you give them credit for. City dogs will often wait at the lights etc before crossing, seen it many times.

In college we had a dog hang around our estate all day but when night came he went back to his home which was over 2 miles away (friend recognised him) and he never got hurt / injured.

And the drinking off the ground lol that's nothing, dogs eat **** for gods sake. I'm sorry if i'm coming across as a bit mean but your being pretty naive here. I suppose you'd like to walk around with him in your handbag (as if that's a better life).

not coming across as being mean, you are being an ass though. if I want to look out for the poor dog thats my business. I would rather do what I can than come out of work and see him killed on the road. dogs get dumped all the time so I cudnt just assume that his "caring" owners have let him wander the streets on his own.

thanks for your opinion though, each to their own. he wudnt have fit in my handbag btw, would have needed a suitcase!

amy85 wrote: »
    hi tilly
    i work in th the wellpark retail centre and a customer said that there was a dog running round loose in the retail park.. this was about 3pm or that.. she said he looked like a german shepard though.. i couldnt get a chance to pop outside to check at the time.. when i got a chance later on i couldnt see hom anywhere..
    hope he be ok!
    sorry i know this is probably of no relevance whatsoever but just thought id share it.

thanks Amy, I dont know what kinda dog he was really, looked like a collie/sheepdog cross but I cudnt be sure. I'm sure he is ok though, there are so many caring people around! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Just walked passed Eyre Square in Galway and saw a dead dog lying flattened down in the snow. Looks like a bigger breed of dog but not sure.
    I hope its not the same dog.

thanks Amy, I dont know what kinda dog he was really, looked like a collie/sheepdog cross but I cudnt be sure. I'm sure he is ok though, there are so many caring people around! :rolleyes:

hopefully..its gonna be a cold night out there.. il keep my eyes peeled though.. i hate seeing dogs or cats straying aswell. i worry about them,wondering if they will be ok or not! but hopefully this little fella will be grand..
    good on ya for posting it on here,ya never know,someone might just recognise the dog or whatever. it better than just turning a blind eye!

sesna wrote: »
    Just walked passed Eyre Square in Galway and saw a dead dog lying flattened down in the snow. Looks like a bigger breed of dog but not sure.
    I hope its not the same dog.

aww no..hopefully not! poor thing. that must have been horrible to see.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Many of the people that work in animal rescues are non nationals. They are baffled why 25,000 dogs are killed in Ireland every year - that's one for every five minutes of the working day. Scotland has the same dog population but they killed 850 last year. Per capita Ireland is about the worst in Europe - so there is something that we are good at.

Reading some of the ignorant, offensive & plain stupid comment here it is pretty obvious that many in Galway do not give a damn.

Tilley: Previous posters have received plenty of help on the Galway Forum - you have unfortunately picked idiot time. If you can find the dog I would call the GSPCA but do not expect an immediate response. Irish people have the reputation for giving to charity unless it is an animal charity so the GSPCA have had to put their inspector on short time working.

If you can catch the dog then I would call East Galway Animal Rescue or MADRA. Please do not take the dog to the pound. If you need specific advice feel free to PM me rather that giving the brain dead here more food for comment.

• Advertisement

thanks Discodog, I hadnt realised it was an offense to some people to care about dogs :rolleyes:

i will keep an eye out and will bring him home if needs be. wouldnt give a dog to the pound even if it ment I took them all in!

i am shocked at peoples attitude on this, it was the same at work one of the girls was glad to feck d dog outside, closed the door and said "thats taken care of".

drives me mad :mad:

Advertisement