Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray Dog, Galway

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

TillyGirl wrote: »
    thanks Discodog, I hadnt realised it was an offense to some people to care about dogs :rolleyes:

i will keep an eye out and will bring him home if needs be. wouldnt give a dog to the pound even if it ment I took them all in!

What a lovely caring and giving attitude you have. Just out of interest, how many homeless people have you taken in this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

sesna wrote: »
    What a lovely caring and giving attitude you have. Just out of interest, how many homeless people have you taken in this year?

what is your problem?? if u dont have anything constructive to say, please stay out of it. not gonna bother replying to any more of your bull$hit.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    what is your problem?? if u dont have anything constructive to say, please stay out of it. not gonna bother replying to any more of your bull$hit.

Oh come on, dont be like that...you might frighten all the poor little dogs you have taken in :D

if anyone spots the dog please let me know. thanks for all the help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Sesna,

This is your one and only warning: play nicely, or don't play at all.

/moderation

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

Wow, I didnt know that they kill so many dogs. Few months ago I've send email to gspca and asked about adoption. They told me I work to many hours! :/ I guess its better to put one asleep then let him stay few hours at home .. ( I work 8 and my boyfriend the same ,but different time).

Tilly girl -thats wonderful that there are still people like you out there! :)

Sesna- fact that she cares about dog doesn't mean that she doesnt care about people -maybe its easier to help dog than to help man -dont you think so?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

amy85 wrote: »
    i hate seeing dogs or cats straying aswell. i worry about them,wondering if they will be ok or not! but hopefully this little fella will be grand..

I dunno much about dogs. But have you ever owned a cat and managed to stop it wandering where it wanted, when it d*mn well wanted to? If so, you must have kept it imprisoned in doors all the time, 'cos I can't think of any other way.

Seriously folks, cats and dogs have lived outside for a long time more than inside, and they seem to have survived. Even in cold weather, they know where to find shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

I am upset by the attitude of some respondants here.

Tilly, well done for caring. Animals have no voice and can suffer greatly as a result of both human action and inaction.

Homeless people have a voice, and multiple charities working on their behalf. At christmas I could not get volunteer work with the homelsss as each organisation I approached were adequately staffed. On the other hand, I have a friend in Sligo who runs a Donkey scanctuary charity and she is struggling to stay afloat.

We dont give to animals in this country. We don't value them, especially in times of recession. And then we impulse buy and subsequently dump pets around the place at xmas. We can be a disgusting species. Most of the people I know working in animal charities are non Irish, that says a lot.

Animals provide us with so much. Look at all the work being done with animals. Pets being brought in to help sick children, and the elderly. The value of a pet to the human psychological condition is enormous - scientifically recognised too.

Animals are wonderful. Having worked on the periphery of various animal charities, I have seen some truly fcuking sickening cruelty inflicted on animals by people - Irish People.

There's enough crap and cruelty in this world, if a girl wants to be kind toa stray dog, for the love of god let her and encourage her.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

surime wrote: »
    Wow, I didnt know that they kill so many dogs. Few months ago I've send email to gspca and asked about adoption. They told me I work to many hours! :/ I guess its better to put one asleep then let him stay few hours at home .. ( I work 8 and my boyfriend the same ,but different time).

Tilly girl -thats wonderful that there are still people like you out there! :)

Sesna- fact that she cares about dog doesn't mean that she doesnt care about people -maybe its easier to help dog than to help man -dont you think so?

Contact East Galway Animal Rescue. You can PM them (EGAR) here or look on their website. Every rescue tends to have a different policy. Please bear in mind that any rescue has had to invest a huge amount of time & effort into every dog that they rehome, with no reward, so you can understand them wanting the best for the dog. Also, uniquely to Ireland people will take a rescue dog & then decide that it no longer suits them so they hand it back.

I am in the middle of writing a report as part of the proposed new dog legislation. I have been struggling to convince some people of just how bad the attitude is in Ireland. I have included the comments of UpMayo, Greenthumb, bigeasyeah, Fracture, sesna & Justmary as it illustrates the problem far better than any words of mine ever could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

Magnus wrote: »

I used to live close to Benson up by Presentation, a reddish dog with whitish face like. He is well known in the area, just wanders around all day.

I had to reply when I say you mention Benson Magnus

Benson died last year, around Paddy's weekend I think!
    He lived next to my BoyfriendS home house.
    He was a legend of a dog, stone deaf tho in his final years, I think.

His owners have a lovely new golden Lab now, made me laugh one day, out with his owner, sat down to scratch himself and then just laid down, as if to say he'd had enough of this walking malark! They were on 4 doors from their own house!

Another well known (IMO) is the dog who holds its owners umbrella in his mouth!

Sorry, back on topic! I hope the dog is rescued, be it its family or otherwise! Fair play for posting OP!

• Advertisement

Hopefully Benson 2 will not be allowed to wander.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Some people's attitudes are unbelievable but then again I'm not surprised because some people's attitude to animals has always been a disgrace in this country.Then again people's attitudes reflect the society of mindless consumerism in which Ireland became engulfed in during the last decade or so where everything was expendable and the dog was regarded as a kind of status symbol in places along with the electric gates etc.

The attitude of some is similar of the attitude of parents to their kids. Not knowing where they are, not particularly caring and then when something happens oh its someone else's fault.

To say dogs have enough sense in general to stay save is a very broad generalisation. Some dogs don't have this sense and even if they do anyone who lives around Galway knows the kind of retarded driving that goes on around the city by some drivers. Dogs need food, drink and shelter to keep going and some will manage to fend for themselves or will be looked after by do-gooders but some won't and will inevitably be put down when its nothing to do with them.

Scumbags in this country are breeding dogs for quick profits and adding to the problem and while this issue is being looked at greater policing of the issue is required and greater reporting of neglect/abuse etc. needs to be reported.

dnme wrote: »

Homeless people have a voice, and multiple charities working on their behalf. At christmas I could not get volunteer work with the homelsss as each organisation I approached were adequately staffed. On the other hand, I have a friend in Sligo who runs a Donkey scanctuary charity and she is struggling to stay afloat.

Where are all the excess donkeys coming from?
    I never realised there was a widespread problem with neglected donkeys.

I think animal cruelty is terrible and they should be cared for. However, on a slightly different note, at the same time, I enjoy eating meat and animals are great for primary phase testing of new pharmaceutical compounds. Not so sure if testing cosmetics is justified though.

-" so you can understand them wanting the best for the dog. ???"

sorry ,but I dont get what you mean??? I used to have dog back home and it was the happiest dog ever. I am fully aware what dog needs and I could assure 3 walks a day including one long . I think its ridiculous to be to fussy about who they will give dog to without a reason! If someone not responsible would like to get dog and thet just dont care about him/her -that person wouldn't have any problem with finding one. There is loads of adds in news papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

To say dogs have enough sense in general to stay safe is a very broad generalisation. Some dogs don't have this sense.

Every dog I ever owned was pure thick. Especially when it came to road safety.

Adorable, but thick.

Every week every vet in Galway has a stray dog that has been hit by a car.

The recession has meant that the horse & donkey breeders who do it for money can't sell their animals & in some cases can't also afford to feed them.

Rescues are not fussy but they are careful & that is because of past experience. It is heartbreaking to put effort into rescuing, rehab & re homing only to find the dog coming back or being badly cared for. Rescues deal with potential adopters every day & some have been doing so for many years.

Ok, but how I should feel about this? I wanted to give my love, shelter and care to some poor homeless dog and they are telling me I work to many hours!?? Who doesnt work 8hours a day? Erderly people and kids and they cant take care of a dog! This is really really wrong. I used to give lots of stuff to GSPCA shop ,brand new dvd ,books etc and in the end they didnt want to trust me with dog? Crazy :)

Simple if you love dogs then make the effort to contact a couple of rescues as I suggested several posts ago & explain your situation. They may well have a dog that it used to being left or will adapt to your circumstances. If a rescue let you take a dog & then it destroyed your home whilst you were out all day, you would not be happy.

I have already explained that different rescues have some differences in policy. Generally speaking the SPCA's will be a little more pedantic but it does depend on the individuals.

I first found my adorable Greyhound (asleep on my lap) wandering, injured in Galway. She never got to a rescue as I decided to adopt her there & then. So there is another route as well.

To all those who doubt the intelligence or perception of dogs should watch Horizon BBC2 9PM tonight Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Every dog I ever owned was pure thick. Especially when it came to road safety.

The feckers just won't listen to Gay Byrne.

Yeah Benson was a legend, sad to see him go. Used to pass him every morning on my way to work. I said hello, he just sat there - it was a thing we had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I can't believe some of the idiocy on this thread.

It's no wonder so many dogs are neglected, abandoned and killed in this country each year.

Discodog wrote: »
    To all those who doubt the intelligence or perception of dogs should watch Horizon BBC2 9PM tonight Wednesday.

heard about this on the way to work must set the sky plus when I get home!!

Discodog wrote: »
    Simple if you love dogs then make the effort to contact a couple of rescues as I suggested several posts ago & explain your situation. They may well have a dog that it used to being left or will adapt to your circumstances. If a rescue let you take a dog & then it destroyed your home whilst you were out all day, you would not be happy.

I have already explained that different rescues have some differences in policy. Generally speaking the SPCA's will be a little more pedantic but it does depend on the individuals.

I first found my adorable Greyhound (asleep on my lap) wandering, injured in Galway. She never got to a rescue as I decided to adopt her there & then. So there is another route as well.

I know what dog feels like when left alone for to long and I am aware what is capable of doing ,we used to have to dogs (one is still with my mum).
    Ok, so you dont work or study, you have tho whole day for your dog to let him sleeping on your lap. Wow -lucky one.
    Maybe someone out there could understand what I am saying? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

I think the people of the boards Galway City forum should organise something to raise money for the GSPCA. I for one would be up for doing something. Maybe someone might have an idea of what we can do.

I would be happy to organise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dnme wrote: »

Homeless people have a voice, and multiple charities working on their behalf. At christmas I could not get volunteer work with the homelsss as each organisation I approached were adequately staffed.

I agreed that homeless people are well looked after.
    FYI, the charities don't just take random short-term volunteers: their clients are vulnerable (so garda vetting is necessary, which takes time) and have complex problems. If you want to help, ideally get a social care qualification, and at least volunteer long-term so they can train and vet you

But I am still upset by some of the ways that Ireland treats human beings. For example
    So pardon me if I don't see helping animals as a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

If people were always the only ones looked after then animals would get nothing. Both need to be looked after. Animals deserve just as much as people. They are living and breathing and have feeling and feel just as much pain in death as we do. We are all sharing the one planet.

I am in the process of organising a charity night for EGAR hopefully for end of February when people have money again!

Anyone with any ideas please PM me. Thanks :D

I will start a new thread on Galway city and Animal & Pet when I have more info. For now please PM me if you have any ideas or can help in any way! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

so - i'll ignore the eejits on here who don't care about the dog - but is there any update on finding him/her?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rayne wrote: »
    I had to reply when I say you mention Benson Magnus

Benson died last year, around Paddy's weekend I think!
    He lived next to my BoyfriendS home house.
    He was a legend of a dog, stone deaf tho in his final years, I think.
    Sorry to hear that, he was a lovely dog. Happens to us all eventually.
    Paul91 wrote: »
    so - i'll ignore the eejits on here who don't care about the dog - but is there any update on finding him/her?
    Mind your language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Some people on this thread are so up their own asses it's actually funny. There has been some humourous posts on the thread all of which have been regarded as posted by someone with no love for animal. How about getting a sense of humour.

I suggested letting the dog find his own way home and people reacted badly, have you found the dog? Was he lying in front of your office block or on the road dead? No? Then guess what maybe he made his way home once he had enough fun. Do ye even think this is a possiblity or do ye think he was exiled from where he lives?

Discodogg you refered to my comment about leaving the dog alone. How is that ignorant. Ignorant is picking up someones dog off the street and taking it for yourself. If you think dogs are so intelligent then why don't you think they are capable of finding their way home, crossing road etc.

Just because you have a dog doesn't make you an expert. I grew up with a minimum of 4 dogs around at all times all of which we loved does that make me an expert?

Some people (older) let their dogs run around during the day and that's their choice after all the dogs belong to them not you. Some people have very active dogs (boxers etc.) while some not so active (greyhounds). Greyhounds are known to be quite lazy dogs and therefore don't mind lying on your lap while you get all high and mighty.

Sorry did i not respect your opinion? My bad must have picked it up from some other people. Monkey see monkey do do do

Advertisement