Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray Dog, Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

Some people (older) let their dogs run around during the day and that's their choice after all the dogs belong to them not you. Some people have very active dogs (boxers etc.) while some not so active (greyhounds). Greyhounds are known to be quite lazy dogs and therefore don't mind lying on your lap while you get all high and mighty.

first of - what you mean "older" as in older people or older dogs - bit ageist really

the poster was asking for help in relation to a stray dog - not people's opinion about her personal views

and by the way it's against the law to let your dog roam free - so it's not actually up to you or them

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/sec0009.html
    9.—(1) The owner or any other person in charge of a dog shall not permit the dog to be in any place other than—

[GA] ( a ) the premises of the owner, or

[GA] ( b ) the premises of such other person in charge of the dog, or

[GA] ( c ) the premises of any other person, with the consent of that person,

[GA] unless such owner or such other person in charge of the dog accompanies it and keeps it under effectual control.

Magnus wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, he was a lovely dog. Happens to us all eventually.

Mind your language.

apologies if my language caused offence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Some people (older) let their dogs run around during the day and that's their choice after all the dogs belong to them not you. Some people have very active dogs (boxers etc.) while some not so active (greyhounds). Greyhounds are known to be quite lazy dogs and therefore don't mind lying on your lap while you get all high and mighty.

Its not just related to the safety of dogs but the safety of others.If people took your attitude and just let dogs ramble around the city and suburbs do you not think some of them would be knocked down or do you not think that by racing across the road they would cause someone to brake suddenly and potentially cause a very serious accident particularly in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Paul91 wrote: »
    first of - what you mean "older" as in older people or older dogs - bit ageist really

the poster was asking for help in relation to a stray dog - not people's opinion about her personal views

and by the way it's against the law to let your dog roam free - so it's not actually up to you or them

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/sec0009.html

Forgive me for misunderstanding Boards.ie, i though it was a forum where people gave there opinions, am i wrong? You'd better tell everyone else.

Don't have a dog Paul, I said growing up we had dogs, so when you don your warden hat no need to come near me. Maybe you could stop people as well as dogs having fun, you could let the air out of bouncy castles, knock sweets out of childrens hands all while quoting some bullsh*t piece of legislation.

Well done on finding that by the way, wow you must be a lawyer or summit? :P

Its not just related to the safety of dogs but the safety of others.If people took your attitude and just let dogs ramble around the city and suburbs do you not think some of them would be knocked down or do you not think that by racing across the road they would cause someone to brake suddenly and potentially cause a very serious accident particularly in this weather.

It's not my attitude as i don't have a dog but i'm not going to give someone who has a dog a lecture on how to keep it. If a dog crosses the road in front of you on the road you not supposed to brake suddenly or swerve but hit the dog to avoid causing a more extreme accident. If you do swerve to avoid a dog a hit someone the person driving the car is at fault. If your opinion is that that is the dogs owners fault then fair play to ye your entitled to your opinion and i respectthat but the person behind the wheel is the one controlling the car.

Jaysus this is somewhere we are all entitled to give our opinion but obviously some dogs are more equal than others, lol.

• Advertisement

Forgive me for misunderstanding Boards.ie, i though it was a forum where people gave there opinions, am i wrong? You'd better tell everyone else.

Don't have a dog Paul, I said growing up we had dogs, so when you don your warden hat no need to come near me. Maybe you could stop people as well as dogs having fun, you could let the air out of bouncy castles, knock sweets out of childrens hands all while quoting some bullsh*t piece of legislation.

Well done on finding that by the way, wow you must be a lawyer or summit? :P

OK original post was
    There is a dog at my work place, been here since 9am and is just wandering up and down the road following people. has already nearly been hit by a bus. I cant leave work, will do at lunch and bring him home til I can figure out what to do. have emailed Galway Bay FM and I102-104 to ask them to announce. what else can I do? the stupid people I work with wont let him inside, keep closing the door on him. he is very friendly, seems to be black & while sheepdog cross. I thought he was a young dog maybe 1.5/2 years but other girl said "hes old he'll find his own way home" mad.gifmad.gif

(Copied from Animal & Pet issues)

this was copied from the animal and pet issues board - Tillygirl was being humane, a trate of being human (to some) and asking for help for the dog as she believed it lost/stray - if you go to the forum this was copied from and share your opinion there maybe? oh and my replies are my opinion - am i not allowed them?

i'm far from being a dog warden, just giving you the facts, roaming dogs are illegal and dangerous, i currently own 6 dogs, none of them roam and all are quite content.

as for the legislation - it's in the Irish statute book - i like to find out facts if i can about things before giving advice/statements

if you can find a legislation on
    let the air out of bouncy castles, knock sweets out of childrens hands
    i'll quite happily quote that too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

It's not my attitude as i don't have a dog but i'm not going to give someone who has a dog a lecture on how to keep it. If a dog crosses the road in front of you on the road you not supposed to brake suddenly or swerve but hit the dog to avoid causing a more extreme accident. If you do swerve to avoid a dog a hit someone the person driving the car is at fault. If your opinion is that that is the dogs owners fault then fair play to ye your entitled to your opinion and i respectthat but the person behind the wheel is the one controlling the car.

Jaysus this is somewhere we are all entitled to give our opinion but obviously some dogs are more equal than others, lol.

Sorry I'm not trying to provoke a slanging match and what you say in theory is proabably true but surely the human reaction if seeing a dog suddenly cross in front of you is to brake as it is such a split second reaction its not like you have time to think about what implication braking may have etc.Sorry probably gone a bit o/t

OK original post was

this was copied from the animal and pet issues board - Tillygirl was being humane, a trate of being human (to some) and asking for help for the dog as she believed it lost/stray - if you go to the forum this was copied from and share your opinion there maybe? oh and my replies are my opinion - am i not allowed them?

i'm far from being a dog warden, just giving you the facts, roaming dogs are illegal and dangerous, i currently own 6 dogs, none of them roam and all are quite content.

as for the legislation - it's in the Irish statute book - i like to find out facts if i can about things before giving advice/statements

if you can find a legislation on i'll quite happily quote that too

Paul, i don't doubt that she was being humane but putting an animal out of it's misery is also considered humane. i'm not and never have said ignore the dog or who cares if it dies all i said was it probably belongs to someone, it's out rambling and it'll find it's way home. Is it kinder to the dog to let it go home or to take it with you back to a strange house.

I never said either that I'd let my dog ramble (if i had one) but it's not your place or my place to lecture someone on how they handle their dogs. rambling dogs are the least of the doggy problems in this county compared to dog fighting & baiting.

I see where your coming from and respect your opinion as people should mine.

If a dog crosses the road in front of you on the road you not supposed to brake suddenly or swerve but hit the dog to avoid causing a more extreme accident. If you do swerve to avoid a dog a hit someone the person driving the car is at fault. If your opinion is that that is the dogs owners fault then fair play to ye your entitled to your opinion and i respectthat but the person behind the wheel is the one controlling the car.

really - does that go the same for kids with sweets in their hands in the middle of the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Anything goes for kids with sweets in their hands in the middle of the road!
    badumtish.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

surime wrote: »
    I know what dog feels like when left alone for to long and I am aware what is capable of doing ,we used to have to dogs (one is still with my mum).
    Ok, so you dont work or study, you have tho whole day for your dog to let him sleeping on your lap. Wow -lucky one.
    Maybe someone out there could understand what I am saying? :)

I work & leave my dogs for up to 9 hours. They get a 40 min off lead walk before I go & one when I return. Maybe the reason why I am having trouble understanding you is that I have posted several times to give you advice & I don't see your being out as a problem but you still seem to think that I control the policies made by rescues. My last bit of advice is to stop arguing with me & start talking to rescues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

This reminds me of that thread where some person found a dog near there house and took it in and kept it in their back garden for a few days and everyone said they were great for doing it.
    Turns out the dog was just from down the road they should have just left him alone!

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055696775

Discodogg you refered to my comment about leaving the dog alone. How is that ignorant. Ignorant is picking up someones dog off the street and taking it for yourself. If you think dogs are so intelligent then why don't you think they are capable of finding their way home, crossing road etc.

Just because you have a dog doesn't make you an expert. I grew up with a minimum of 4 dogs around at all times all of which we loved does that make me an expert?

Sorry did i not respect your opinion? My bad must have picked it up from some other people. Monkey see monkey do do do

If I took someone's dog then that someone had allowed it to get hit by a car, had starved it, given it several lacerations to it's face etc. I would love to meet the owner because he/she could be prosecuted & I would seek money to cover the €600 vet bills. But of course the owner didn't put a collar & name tag on or microchip. They also didn't report it missing to the Guards.

It is not anyone's choice to let their dog run loose. It is illegal for a reason. A friend of mine lives in Galway. His lawn is permanently covered in dog pooh & he doesn't have a dog. Two of my neighbours have had dogs killed on the road & in one case it caused a serious accident. Both have got replacement dogs that are allowed to roam on the same road.

As for breeds there are not lazy breeds or active breeds. Dogs are individuals & it depends on how they are trained & raised. I have had four successive Boxers - every one of them would get on your lap at any opportunity.

hacktavist wrote: »
    This reminds me of that thread where some person found a dog near there house and took it in and kept it in their back garden for a few days and everyone said they were great for doing it.
    Turns out the dog was just from down the road they should have just left him alone!

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055696775

Read the thread. That is utter rubbish. Someone took in the dog until the owner could be traced because the dog was microchipped. The owner was pleased that someone had cared about the dog as it has got out of a secure garden.

Quote:

Thanks for all your replies and we have acted on the most of them...!

I have some news.. The neighbour was contacted again by the breeder in Waterford who gave him the details of the person he sold the pup to... That fella was moving abroad so sold the dog on again and gave the contact details of the owner who is up about the top of Cappagh road...!

When the neighbour contacted this person and said we had the dog he was delighted as he was understandably worried sick...!

Alls well that ends well.... A big thanks to you all..

really - does that go the same for kids with sweets in their hands in the middle of the road?

what kind of sweet are we talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Sure the dog lived down the road??? Where does it say he got out of a secure garden?

That is what I heard - may not be true. There was a similar dog killed on main road at the Cappagh Road junction. The point is that the dog was microchipped so it's owner could be identified. If you read the thread there are plenty of other reasons not to let a dog wander - theft is one & the dog warden is another.

The majority of "strays" collected by the dog wardens end up dead because no one cares enough to put a name tag on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

Now seriously I am mad. From todays Galway independent :

GSPCA inundated with animals after the holidays
    "Ms O'Sullivan said the facility is already extremely over-streched, as it is currently housing nearly 80 dogs and puppies in a place that can comfortably look after 50. She said it is the same with cats.
    " People seem to think we are a big hole that they can dump anything on us. (...) "

Well ,thats unbelievable! I have exchange few emails with this lady expressing my intrest in adopting a dog and I was refused! Because I was told I work to many hours!!! :/ Who isnt working 8 hours a day??? Unemployed ,elderly, kids??? This is disgrace! There must be something wrong with this place if they put animals to "sleep" and they just ignore people who want to give loving home to some poor dog. I am shocked. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

surime wrote: »
    Now seriously I am mad. From todays Galway independent :

GSPCA inundated with animals after the holidays
    "Ms O'Sullivan said the facility is already extremely over-streched, as it is currently housing nearly 80 dogs and puppies in a place that can comfortably look after 50. She said it is the same with cats.
    " People seem to think we are a big hole that they can dump anything on us. (...) "

Well ,thats unbelievable! I have exchange few emails with this lady expressing my intrest in adopting a dog and I was refused! Because I was told I work to many hours!!! :/ Who isnt working 8 hours a day??? Unemployed ,elderly, kids??? This is disgrace! There must be something wrong with this place if they put animals to "sleep" and they just ignore people who want to give loving home to some poor dog. I am shocked. :/
    the pet would be to long on its own . they want the pet to be looked after like a child, not being on its own all those hours. but i do know what you say, i love to get a wee dog or cat to give it a good home but was told same as you.:(

That's absolutely right that they check on houses and people who are intrested -but this should be a must to be sure that now chance was missed! If someone mean would like to get a dog and just leave him somewhere when bored with playing and walking and stuff -that kind of person will get a dog anyway! :/

• Advertisement

blond45 wrote: »
    the pet would be to long on its own . they want the pet to be looked after like a child, not being on its own all those hours. but i do know what you say, i love to get a wee dog or cat to give it a good home but was told same as you.:(

Well , I think this is crazy. They dont know what they are doing! In my family there was always everyone working, studying but I used to walk our dog in the morning, then my mum in about lunch time ,brother in the evening, and it was working perfectly fine! Even if dog would have to stay alone for a while -thats not the end of the world! If you walk dog before and after work and in the evening thats enough! I am just shocked and I cant belive this!
    Have you seen "the family" on channel 4??? I have seen this once and those people (indian family) seems very nice but - they sit all they long on sofas at home and they let dogs out only to back yard! This could happen as well, they will give dog to someone with pleeeeeeeeeeenty of time and dog will be inside anyway! That is very simple and stupid thinking. I am very much disappointed. :/

"That is very simple and stupid thinking. I am very much disappointed. :/ "

-I am not talking about you blond45 ,but about people from GSPCA. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Discodog wrote: »
    To all those who doubt the intelligence or perception of dogs should watch Horizon BBC2 9PM tonight Wednesday.

Absolutley true. They are a lot more intelligent that some of the posters on this site....

Just remember, Ian Huntley started off by torturing animals and look where that ended up.

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Absolutley true. They are a lot more intelligent that some of the posters on this site....

Just remember, Ian Huntley started off by torturing animals and look where that ended up.

Where? Where did the animals end up? I wanna know!! :confused:

I would tell you but then I would have to kill you (too) ;)

Discodog wrote: »
    That is what I heard - may not be true.

Who told you? Lassie? Can't be trusted since the fame went to his head.

i think they meant the two girls he murdered, but i guess you making light of that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soham_murders
    The Soham murders was a high profile murder case in August 2002 of two ten-year-old girls in Soham, Cambridgeshire, England. The victims were Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman. The convicted killer was a local school caretaker, Ian Huntley.

http://www.haringeyindependent.co.uk/news/aby/4672389.Baby_P_killer_s_face_used_in_anti_animal_torture_campaign/
    Child killers including Mary Bell, Robert Thompson and Jon Venables, Ian Huntley, Fred West and Ian Brady are all believed to have been deliberate animal abusers before their crimes escalated.

Who told you? Lassie? Can't be trusted since the fame went to his head.

Lassie was a she - jee's i'm going to end up with a full time job "updating" your posts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Must say I'm getting some great lulz from the thread quarrelling :D

• Advertisement

Sorry I meant Ian Brady but in hindsight it was in bad taste. Apologies to those I offended.

Advertisement