Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray Dog, Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Paul91 wrote: »
    Lassie was a she - jee's i'm going to end up with a full time job "updating" your posts :D

LOL, i was actually going to wiki lassie to check the sex before posting but got lazy and decided take the risk. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

"2008 20,000 Dogs in Ireland Seized/Surrended/Collected - 10,000 Put to Sleep 49%

2008 Cork (City and County) 1,600 Dogs Seized/Surrended/Collected - 1,000 Put to Sleep 61%

2007 UK 105,000 Dogs Seized/Surrended/Collected - 7,900 Put to Sleep 8%"

Why you are ignoring issue I rised earlier. I am really upset about this and I would like to see what you think. I am outraged!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I really cant get over the attitudes of some of the people on this, just goes to show why animals are so badly treated in ireland.

for those who think it is better to leave a dog roaming when you think its a stray, thats your opinion and you are entitled to it even if I will never agree with you, I personally would rather take a dog home and do my best to find its owner while making sure it is safe. I wasnt planning on stealing the dog, if I couldnt find the owner I would have organised a new home. can someone please explain how that is wrong?

I do feel sorry for ye though, what a sad life ye must lead if you think this topic is funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

LOL, i was actually going to wiki lassie to check the sex before posting but got lazy and decided take the risk. :D

njuck njuck :D

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I really cant get over the attitudes of some of the people on this, just goes to show why animals are so badly treated in ireland.

for those who think it is better to leave a dog roaming when you think its a stray, thats your opinion and you are entitled to it even if I will never agree with you, I personally would rather take a dog home and do my best to find its owner while making sure it is safe. I wasnt planning on stealing the dog, if I couldnt find the owner I would have organised a new home. can someone please explain how that is wrong?

I do feel sorry for ye though, what a sad life ye must lead if you think this topic is funny.

My view is that I don't think the dog you saw was a stray. You said earlier it had a collar and Im a believer that dogs are intelligent animals and that the dog in question found it's way home. If you had taken the dog home then he'd be the one confused and he'd be unable to find his way back.

And due to my confidence in the dog that is why I'm having a laugh. :D

• Advertisement

surime wrote: »
    "2008 20,000 Dogs in Ireland Seized/Surrended/Collected - 10,000 Put to Sleep 49%

2008 Cork (City and County) 1,600 Dogs Seized/Surrended/Collected - 1,000 Put to Sleep 61%

2007 UK 105,000 Dogs Seized/Surrended/Collected - 7,900 Put to Sleep 8%"

Why you are ignoring issue I rised earlier. I am really upset about this and I would like to see what you think. I am outraged!

sorry didn't realise this was directed at me, OK my comment is I got a German Shepherd out of the Cork CSPCA in August - in September she had six pups, (3 of which i have rehomed so far) she came out with no vaccinations, no wornming, they didn't home check me the dog was not even brushed and obviously not neutered, when i called them to tell them what happened they hung up the phone on me.

so if your telling me the GSPCA carries out home checks - i'm impressed to be honest - if you really want a dog then keep trying the rescues explain you'd look after the animal and see what they say

And due to my confidence in the dog that is why I'm having a laugh. :D

not all dogs are lassies though to be fair, of my two adult dogs, one is a dumb as a tree trunk - still love him though, the problem is if someone picked that dog up from somewhere and dumped him, or even the owner dumped him - then he/she can't find it's way home and needs to be cared for

My view is that I don't think the dog you saw was a stray. You said earlier it had a collar

go down to galway pound or speak to anyone involved with a rescue, not all people that dump their dogs/let them roam around to be hit by a bus take the collar off the dog first! if they were that bothered about the dog they should have put their contact details on his tag.

I found a dog in the carpark at GMIT 2 years ago, rang the number on the tag, dog was back with owner that evening. There is an easy solution to this problem :D

"if you really want a dog then keep trying the rescues explain you'd look after the animal and see what they say "

-but that's not the point! I dont mind them checking on what I have to offer to dog (even if I think love and attention is enough) , the point is that for example with me -they have lost a chance for one dog to have home for life time! Blond45 said the same thing. They are not doing us a favour by giving us a dog ,they are doing dog a favour by finding him home!!! and they should do everything to dont lost any chance for this to happen. They didnt even want to meet me and talk about this! Unbelievable!

not all dogs are lassies though to be fair, of my two adult dogs, one is a dumb as a tree trunk - still love him though, the problem is if someone picked that dog up from somewhere and dumped him, or even the owner dumped him - then he/she can't find it's way home and needs to be cared for

i get where your coming from, i was assuming that due to the description the dog was a sheepdog. Having grown up with numerous sheepdogs i've never come across a stupid one. If it was in fact dumped then thats a different story but there's just as much chance he was wandering. I'm striving to be optimistic this year!! Or maybe I'm just argumentative :D

• Advertisement

"if you really want a dog then keep trying the rescues explain you'd look after the animal and see what they say "

-but that's not the point! I dont mind them checking on what I have to offer to dog (even if I think love and attention is enough) , the point is that for example with me -they have lost a chance for one dog to have home for life time! Blond45 said the same thing. They are not doing us a favour by giving us a dog ,they are doing dog a favour by finding him home!!! and they should do everything to dont lost any chance for this to happen. They didnt even want to meet me and talk about this! Unbelievable!

i'm sorry surime and Blond45, but i'm not a member of any groups and therefore can't speak for them, i do agree with you though that if you can offer a dog a good home, give it shelter (indoors at night) food and exercise regularly twice a day then being at work for eight hours in the case of a dog about to be put to sleep shouldn't really stop the adoption - even less so if you take two as they'd have each other for company - although if taking one a adult dog would be best as they would get less distressed - but if your adament you will not get a dog because of this experience maybe it's best

i get where your coming from, i was assuming that due to the description the dog was a sheepdog. Having grown up with numerous sheepdogs i've never come across a stupid one. If it was in fact dumped then thats a different story but there's just as much chance he was wandering. I'm striving to be optimistic this year!! Or maybe I'm just argumentative :D

not a bother - good to hear other points of view - love a good discussion :D

how many working sheepdogs you know wear collars ;)

sheep-dog-trials-im-telling-you-the-man-and-the-do1.jpg

Or maybe I'm just argumentative :D

finally we agree on something!

I dont think we are going to agree on this topic so no point to all this arguing!!

thanks for all the replies everyone xx :D

I will get a dog , because I really love them . It's just a pity that I can't adopt one here and I really dont want to buy any for money (not because of money ,but because I dont want to buy breeded one).

I will get a dog , because I really love them . It's just a pity that I can't adopt one here and I really dont want to buy any for money (not because of money ,but because I dont want to buy breeded one).

maybe keep an eye on the rehoming thread, there are dogs on there not from rescues. best of luck, hope u get your dog.

not a bother - good to hear other points of view - love a good discussion :D

how many working sheepdogs you know wear collars ;)

sheep-dog-trials-im-telling-you-the-man-and-the-do1.jpg

don't see many farms in galway city lol

TillyGirl wrote: »
    finally we agree on something!

I dont think we are going to agree on this topic so no point to all this arguing!!

thanks for all the replies everyone xx :D

who's arguing :P

not sure about the GSPCA but the CSPCA charge €100 for every dog - breed or mongrel - as do most of the charities/welfare groups - otherwise they couldn't exist, it costs a lot to keep a dog, but try the rehoming thread as tillygirl mentioned

Ok, sorry for saying this ,but you all miss the point. I really wont have any problems with finding dog -that's not about this! It's attitude of organisation which is complaining about amount of dogs and refusing if someone wants to addopt one! :confused:

who's arguing :P

everyone! :p

I am tired :cool:

• Advertisement

I am tired to because no one understands what I am trying to say!!!:eek:

Ok, sorry for saying this ,but you all miss the point. I really wont have any problems with finding dog -that's not about this! It's attitude of organisation which is complaining about amount of dogs and refusing if someone wants to addopt one! :confused:

no i agree with you surime - don't worry i have my own axe to grind with a certain animal "cruelty prevention" organisation - good luck with finding a dog - when you get it post a pic up on the animal forum

I am tired to because no one understands what I am trying to say!!!:eek:

I do understand, honestly! it can be extremely frustrating esp when you know the dog is better off with you.

on the other hand I do understand where rescues are coming from, they put so much effort into rehoming dogs only for some to be left back to them again.

I'm not saying you would do this but they have to think that this might happen.

the only other option if you are pi$$ed with rescues is to get a pup free of charge, maybe try the advertiser tomorrow. good luck, please post pics when you get him/her!

Ok, I can at last go to sleep! ;)

Ok, I can at last go to sleep! ;)

me too! :D

good night! :p

No, I can't yet.. ;)

Ok Tillygirl, but they didnt even checked who I was!! Just no ,because I work 8 hours and who isnt???!!

but didnt u say that someone would be home at lunch?? surely thats good enough??

No, thats the way it used to be in my family home -but here still I work 8hours, my boyfriend does -but we dont work at the same time and everythig changes anyway. We could also move to diffrent house with garden and fence and leave dog out during summer. Never mind, its just something i cant understand and its wrong for sure.
    Good night! ;)

No, I can't yet.. ;)

Ok Tillygirl, but they didnt even checked who I was!! Just no ,because I work 8 hours and who isnt???!!

there are some lucky people at home all or most of the day - it does rather cut down the number of people they can home to though

for your own sanity i'd try and draw a line and move on - i'm not trying to be condescending (not even sure i can spell it)

• Advertisement

No, thats the way it used to be in my family home -but here still I work 8hours, my boyfriend does -but we dont work at the same time and everythig changes anyway. We could also move to diffrent house with garden and fence and leave dog out during summer. Never mind, its just something i cant understand and its wrong for sure.
    Good night! ;)

would the dog be kept indoors during the day then - any ideas what type of breed or size?

Advertisement