Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray Dog, Galway

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

condescending -I didnt know what that means , thanks for teaching me new word. ;) ( I am not Irish) that forum is good for learning , I am checking dictionary all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Having grown up with numerous sheepdogs i've never come across a stupid one.

Aha! I suspected you were used to sheepdogs from an earlier post in which you said you believed dogs were intelligent.

The Border Collie, to which you are accustomed, is usually classed as THE most intelligent of all dog breeds. Tops the dog IQ ranking scales, it does:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intelligence_of_Dogs

Now, on the other hand, would you trust an Afghan Hound to find its own way home?

There are different kinds of canine intelligences, but many dogs would not be able to find their way home if they rambled off on their own for a little exploration.

Heck, MY spatial intelligence is so bad, I nearly get lost returning home from work!

I dont know were those huge letters came from, sorry. ;)
    Ok, this place is addictive , I quit and go to read book.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

surime wrote: »
    ( I am not Irish)

pssst neither am i - but don't tell the Dr ;)

Aha! I suspected you were used to sheepdogs from an earlier post in which you said you believed dogs were intelligent.

The Border Collie, to which you are accustomed, is usually classed as THE most intelligent of all dog breeds. Tops the dog IQ ranking scales, it does:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intelligence_of_Dogs

Now, on the other hand, would you trust an Afghan Hound to find its own way home?

There are different kinds of canine intelligences, but many dogs would not be able to find their way home if they rambled off on their own for a little exploration.

Heck, MY spatial intelligence is so bad, I nearly get lost returning home from work!

program on just this topic on BBC2 tonight - there was a collie on there who understood 300 words :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Paul91 wrote: »
    pssst neither am i - but don't tell the Dr ;)

Hey, what's that supposed to mean!! :D

Hey, what's that supposed to mean!! :D

:D means we'd only have to discuss it old boy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

We just found a dead frozen puppy tonight round the back of my friends house.

Asked around in case he got away at Christmas but seems not...seems to have been just F8cking dumped up a laneway :(:(:(

This happens everywhere I know, I just feel awful.

Will bury the little mite, if we can crack the ground, tomorrow.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

inisboffin wrote: »

Asked around in case he got away at Christmas but seems not...seems to have been just F8cking dumped up a laneway :(:(:(

That is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

inisboffin wrote: »

Thats horrible. I dont get why I was getting such a hard time for trying to stop something like this from happening.

To everyone who said I should have left the dog to "find his own way home" would you prefer that this happened or that the dog was safe, warm & fed in a strange house with the possibility that he would be confused til I found his home?? :mad:

• Advertisement

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Thats horrible. I dont get why I was getting such a hard time for trying to stop something like this from happening.

To everyone who said I should have left the dog to "find his own way home" would you prefer that this happened or that the dog was safe, warm & fed in a strange house with the possibility that he would be confused til I found his home?? :mad:

Tillygirl - for some reason some people do not have compassion for dogs or animals, for those people i wish they had watched the TV program on BBC2 at 9pm last night, according to the research in the program humanity would not have developed to the stage it is at now without the "dog" therefore we would be the ones out freezing in the cold

Paul91 wrote: »
    Tillygirl - for some reason some people do not have compassion for dogs or animals, for those people i wish they had watched the TV program on BBC2 at 9pm last night, according to the research in the program humanity would not have developed to the stage it is at now without the "dog" therefore we would be the ones out freezing in the cold

I will never understand that!:(

I have that recorded, will watch it tonite snuggled up in front of the fire with my little yorkie. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

Now seriously I am mad. From todays Galway independent :

GSPCA inundated with animals after the holidays
    "Ms O'Sullivan said the facility is already extremely over-streched, as it is currently housing nearly 80 dogs and puppies in a place that can comfortably look after 50. She said it is the same with cats.
    " People seem to think we are a big hole that they can dump anything on us. (...) "

That is terrible!! Surime if i was you I would write a reply to this.. write into the Galway Independent and tell them what happened you. They could print it. I know the Advertiser does replies to editorials.

With regards to the puppy found dead.. that made me cry!! When i was a teenager (a long time ago :D) we used play down in the Francs (Newcastle) and there used to be an old boat house down there at the edge of the corrib. There was bag floating in the water so we decided to have a look.. There were 3 puppies in it.. it was heartbreaking.. Two were dead and one was just about breathing. I put the puppy under my clothes to get it warm and brought it to the vet and it survived :) I'll never forget him he was the cutest thing ever. The vet rang me a few days later to say he was doing really well and and they had found a nice home for him! (My parents wouldn't let me keep him, my mum is afraid of dogs :( ) Just a little happy story for ye all this morning :D

The vet rang me a few days later to say he was doing really well and and they had found a nice home for him!

thats a lovely story! just wish more people would think like you.

so mad at all this crap.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

So many horrible stories here. My parents neighbour is a vet and had a box of 7 pups dumped on his doorstep on Christmas eve.

Something needs to be done in this country to make neutering more accessible and affordable; and also to encourage people to be more responsible with their pets. I do think at times tho that the GSPCA are slightly excessive in their requirements for the rehoming of animals. If they are at breaking point in their shelter well then they need to be a little more realistic about their demands and expectations of potential rehomes. And I say this as a caring pet owner who currently has 3 rescue pets; all of whom are well looked after.

Saw a similar dog this morning. He was marking territory outside Subway.

I think he lives in one of the older houses on the Tuam road and is normally locked in the back yard.

I think he lives in one of the older houses on the Tuam road and is normally locked in the back yard.

ah thats ok then :rolleyes:

I dont understand why these people ever get a "pet". idiots.

thanks for letting me know :p

That is terrible!! Surime if i was you I would write a reply to this.. write into the Galway Independent and tell them what happened you. They could print it. I know the Advertiser does replies to editorials.

With regards to the puppy found dead.. that made me cry!! When i was a teenager (a long time ago :D) we used play down in the Francs (Newcastle) and there used to be an old boat house down there at the edge of the corrib. There was bag floating in the water so we decided to have a look.. There were 3 puppies in it.. it was heartbreaking.. Two were dead and one was just about breathing. I put the puppy under my clothes to get it warm and brought it to the vet and it survived :) I'll never forget him he was the cutest thing ever. The vet rang me a few days later to say he was doing really well and and they had found a nice home for him! (My parents wouldn't let me keep him, my mum is afraid of dogs :( ) Just a little happy story for ye all this morning :D

Thank you for understanding.. and for saving one. Why people are evil? Did something bad happen to them before or maybe some people just dont have enough empathy? I dont like this world sometimes.. :/

Do you know gay with huge Irish wolfhound and one collie or shepard dog? They always make me smile when I see them in town. This big dog is amazing ,looks like from fairly tale or like some kind of magic creature (in a possitive way) not like a dog! Cool ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

Do you know gay guy with huge Irish wolfhound and one collie or shepard dog? They always make me smile when I see them in town. This big dog is amazing ,looks like from fairly tale or like some kind of magic creature (in a possitive way) not like a dog! Cool ;)

Sorry surime had to change "gay" to "guy" that made me chuckle... :D

That dog is amazing.. He's gorgeous :D

• Advertisement

Sorry surime had to change "gay" to "guy" that made me chuckle... :D

That dog is amazing.. He's gorgeous :D

hihihi -sorry to you guy with gorgeous dog! :o

TillyGirl wrote: »

Not to disagree with you really, but this was a small puppy, I think if most people saw this wandering they would pick it up and call someone.

Same with a child in a big city to be honest... 2 year old, most definitely, but how many people would ring the guards seeing a 10 year old at 8pm? Whether they were safe or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If anyone wants to adopt or foster a dog there are plenty of rescues who will be more flexible than the GSPCA. The key is that you have to make the impression that you are someone who is aware of & will provide for the needs of the dog.

I would not be able to adopt from the GSPCA because I do not have a secure garden. This is irrelevant as my dogs live in the house & get two long walks every day. However other rescues such as East Galway Animal Rescue are more flexible in their approach. For example EGAR will rehome to apartment dwellers if everything else stacks up.

A good rescue will follow gut instinct but this is much harder to do in Ireland than, for example, in the UK. If I meet someone when I am with my dogs I can tell if they are a "doggy" person in less than 30 seconds. It is to do with the way that they relate/react to the dog & how my dogs are with them.

In the UK the majority of people that I would meet would react as "doggy" people whereas here the majority definitely do not. A dog recognises a "doggy" person instantly because, as last night's program showed, they can read our emotions.

One of my neighbours has several dogs but my dogs are very wary of him. He thinks that I am mad to keep dogs indoors & to pamper them. It seems as if my dogs spotted that in an instant.

Last night's program was very good but "doggy" people will be saying that they already knew that their dog was intelligent & perceptive. The big unanswered question is why nationalities should vary so much. In Ireland Greyhounds are regarded as little better than vermin whereas in Czechoslovakia they are revered. No one in Ireland wants a rescue Collie & yet the Germans adore them.

I wonder if we will never be able to really make things better until we know the real cause. What is so different about the Irish ?

You see, the problem was I couldn't really make any impression at all, because no one was interested in meeting me and discuss it and I could say without any doubt that I am a "doggy" person. I cant pass any dog on the street without paying attention an maybe this will sound crazy ,but they smile somethimes to me .;) ( I mean look in a nice way and wagging tail (is that correct?) But there is not to many dogs on the streets at all here ( I mean with owners) which is completely diffrent to the way it is in Poland (I would say every one person to five would have a dog over ther and most people live in appartments not houses) , the other thing is there is much much more many homeless dogs around. My mum once found absolutely skinny pointer wondering beetwen cars and she brought him home. The most beautiful and smart dog we ever had. We gave him to my uncle who used to do jogging ,because we used to have one dog and jogging every day was great for pointer anyway. :)
    (Sorry for my spelling mystakes)

Well speak to the other rescues mentioned here & visit them. One little thing that you need to make clear is that you will be staying in Ireland & that if you do leave that you will take the dog with you. Now before you feel insulted please remember that rescues have had dogs handed in because the owners decide to go abroad.

Discodog wrote: »
    In the UK the majority of people that I would meet would react as "doggy" people whereas here the majority definitely do not. A dog recognises a "doggy" person instantly because, as last night's program showed, they can read our emotions.

i think in the program they said there where 8 million pet dogs in the UK in 2009 with a population of 61 million thats almost 1 in 8 people owning a dog and with 25 million households thats 1 in 3 homes with a dog

just found a link - http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/dogs

http://www.pfma.org.uk/overall/pet-population-figures-.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Discodog wrote: »
    I wonder if we will never be able to really make things better until we know the real cause. What is so different about the Irish ?

Well to start with, the Irish are more rural, and even those who live in urban settings are quite close to their rural roots, where animals are kept strictly for their usefulness.

I don't know if you have sheep-dogs here (my relatives have cows) - but at home no farmer would have his/her working sheep-dogs being pampered in the house. They're sheltered and well fed all right, but strictly in "servants quarters".

Also, for every piece of research showing the benefits of pets, I'll bet there is another showing the health hazards. Small dogs that are scatty are a trip-hazard for unsteady older peolpe, cats can give toxoplasmosis to people, so not recommended if you're hoping to get pregnant. Avian bird flu spread from chickens to people. Etc.

I was chatting to someone about this thread last night. The point was raised that a significant number of the people he knew, that were 'animal people' were not great 'people people'. Now we all know this is not a majority thing by any means, but we are known to be a nation of 'people people'.
    I do, now that I think of it, know a lot of animal lovers and owners who are quite shy and/or keep to themselves. They wouldn't fit the stereotype of 'sociable Irish' in the pub or whatever.
    We have one of the highest rates of (human based) charity donations per capita in the world too.
    Perhaps that, along with the rural roots thing that Just Mary mentioned, figures into how we should look at statistical analysis.

JustMary wrote: »
    I don't know if you have sheep-dogs here (my relatives have cows) - but at home no farmer would have his/her working sheep-dogs being pampered in the house. They're sheltered and well fed all right, but strictly in "servants quarters".

i'm from farming stock in Yorkshire, our family always had dogs on the farm (they kept livestock and had crops) the dogs where used to keep down rodents mainly, during the day they where working dogs, in the evening they where in front of the fire in the living room/lounge

there was a program on BBC2 on wednesday night that tracked back humans and dogs living together for thousands of years, and also stated without the dog man would not have developed to the society we have now

• Advertisement

Eh By Gum that explains a lot. I guessed that thine wasn't from these parts. Love the Dales, Moors, Brimham Rocks & Pately Bridge - ah memories !.

The love of dogs is just as strong, if not stronger in the English countryside. Yes there are "working" dogs but they are not locked in a Barn. If a Sheep in Ireland has a nasty limp no one will notice. If a sheep on a remote Welsh hillside has a limp someone will call the RSPCA or Police. The attitude is totally different.

Innis has raised an interesting point. To be an "animal" person in Ireland is very different to being one in the UK. Why do you think that so many of us Irish animal people communicate with our own via the net ?. If you love animals you are perceived as odd to a lot of Irish people. You also have a constant conflict in that you see your friends & neighbours treating animals badly. Also in Ireland most animal lovers are female. There are very few men working with Irish rescues or posting on the net.

Advertisement