Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US firms call for overhaul of Irish education

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    the title is directly from the newspaper
    well it was from the Indo, misleading the public again. :D
    apologies OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

ninty9er wrote: »
    Nothing there belongs to the Department of Education, meaning there would be an ongoing outlay of more than currently goes out on prefabs.
    That doesn't actually make any sense, can you clarify what you mean please?
    R&D costs a hell of a lot. Are any of these proposals costed. Have any of them got the suppot of the technical companies required?
    R&D costs a hell of a lot when you are putting together new technology from scratch. When you are recombining existing (90s) technology and talking with the likes of acknowledged experts in their fields (ie data searching and retrieval -> google), it becomes a lot more palatable. Besides similar systems have already begun to crop up in Princeton, California, even Australia is making moves in this direction. We're simply taking the inevitable to the next level, and then selling it to the rest of the world to pay for our own systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

Somebody here mentioned something about sex education. I'm sorry but that should not be the job of any school teacher in the country. What next? Going to their home and cooking them their breakfast and dinner!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

doc_17 wrote: »
    Somebody here mentioned something about sex education. I'm sorry but that should not be the job of any school teacher in the country. What next? Going to their home and cooking them their breakfast and dinner!!!

sex education in religion class was mentioned by a posted

now theres a scary prospect :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Makes no odds to me, I'd be in Tipp somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

If you leave your house and drive 24 miles due south, and then 18 miles due east, how far are you from home as the crow flies?

Any adult should be able to make a good stab at this, but I suspect that many cannot and are perversely proud of this.
    The Irish system encourages students to learn material "off by heart," without ensuring that they have an adequate conceptual understanding of the underlying principles.

I think this is the point. Irish students and sadly their parents see the education system as a set of hoops to jump through so that you can become a solicitor or whatever, understanding is not seen as an objective. Any teacher that spent time on interesting examples that are not going to be on the exam would quickly receive disinterest from students and complaints from parents.

That said the US chamber of commerce and bodies like it could do more to give examples of the role of understanding in real applications and how it can contribute to interesting work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Makes no odds to me, I'd be in Tipp somewhere.

i hope you never endup in an emergency where a emergency helicopter pilot has same attitude as yourself when trying to find you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    I hope you never endup in an emergency where a emergency helicopter pilot has same attitude as yourself when trying to find you
    I'd imagine it should be part of his/her job training.

I think it's 30, but why does it matter? I'll have to go where the roads go. That's also from memory of the hyp squared rule, not any understanding of why that is the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Religious instruction for the purposes of Communion/Confirmation seem fine given the culture we live in. There are non- and multi-denominational schools within reach of most people now. Given that the majority of children get these sacrements, it would suggest their parents agree with it.
    Take a look at the parenting forum some time. There's a load of threads on there from parents wondering whether they should get their children christened so they won't be at a disadvantage when it comes to getting into a local school. Plenty more threads about whether there's an ET school anywhere near where they live.

We do not actually live in a Catholic country. We live in a country where a lot of people with vaguely Christian notions about religion are so ignorant of Catholicism that they believe themselves to be Catholic (whilst idealogically being some flavour of protestant). Most Irish "Catholics" are unaware of Papal Infalibility, the true meaning of the Catholic term 'Immaculate Conception', transubstantiation or the fact that the Roman Catholic church forbids 'a la carte' adherance to it's faith.

For all the religious "education" students receive in the Irish system it's actually quite remarkable how ignorant they remain of their "own" faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Note how this post (above) starts all well enough, but then seems to disintegrate with each passing word, until we reach the final, rambling statement which mimics something that you would overhear in a chipper at 3am.

Beautifully put my friend. Living outside of my native Ireland it is with much heartache that I miss this kind of oratory. You made my day.

Advertisement