Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vw Timing Belt

• 05-01-2010 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hey All

I a 2003 vw passat tdi the timing belt was done a 79k when i bought it there is now 130k on the clock when would it need to be replaced again and how much should it cost i wonder Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

moved to main motors section

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭retrothis

Hi Martin

I was told that the 03 engines are good for a 100K miles. So yours was done a bit early but thats ok. I did mine at 93000 miles. Was told to come back when I reach 150 000 or so. So I guess the TB kit is good for 60 K miles. Do you know what was replaced? Only the belt or everything associated with it (water pump, tensioners etc)? If only the belt was replaced, it would be a good idea to get it done sooner rather than later. If any of the other componets fail It would not matter that you have a new belt.
    The TB kit itself is relativly cheap...prob looking at 200 euro, possibly less. The labour will be a tad more expensive. Expect anywhere between 300-500 euro.
    Ring around the garages and ask for quotes. You'd have a better idea then.
    Hope this helps!
    Here's a link, have a look whats in a kit: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=121&osCsid=rvjfssciupnevqcp08m83isoa2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

4 years or 60,000 miles is the norm.

The OE belt supplier recommends 54,000 miles.

Get a water pump with metal impellors to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

100k miles is too long for TB intervals. The recomended is 60k (by VW). To be on the safe side I would try and get the belt canged as soon as you can (within reason of course).
    Get a quote from your local garage for the job, as said, including water pump and tensioners. You could always compare prices in the north if you didn't live too far away. The prices in the south are dropping dramatically. Price around you will be amazed at the difference in some prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ManWithNoName

HI martin !!

Price for tb replacement is 130 eur.
    Parts (tb. kit + water pump) around 100-130 eur.
    North Dublin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement