Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What car for 6-7k?

• 05-01-2010 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

In the market for a mid size car, something with a 1.5-1.7l engine so the road tax wont be too high, diesel would be great, but not a necessity as i dont do a lot of miles, has to be roomy enough for a my 6ft 2 ex rugby player husband to drive when he's home from abroad and not look like an elephant in a mini. :D
    Reliable and not too expensive to repair should i need to, from 2004 upwards.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭oisin_t

toyota corrola. petrol or diesel models available. roomy enough, reliable and overall an excellent car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Exactly what my dad said. :D He has an Avensis diesel which i hate, its like an iron horse!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ohdatlewis

A safe reliable car with low mileage that will keep its value through these tough times. Try this fella:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Corolla/200950196130430/advert?channel=CARS

Is it just me, or do Toyotas just look like those cars we used to draw in Junior infants?! All square lines and just boring.:(

Reliable im sure, but just a bit blah.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭oisin_t

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Is it just me, or do Toyotas just look like those cars we used to draw in Junior infants?! All square lines and just boring.:(

Reliable im sure, but just a bit blah.....

I'd have to disagree here, I love the look of the Corrola. The only kind of boxy, squarey toyotas I'v seen are the cars/jeeps in their 4x4 range.

Anywho thats a little off topic! :pac:

If one didnt fancy the Corrola there is always the Octavia above, which to be fair is a great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ohdatlewis

The engine would be a problem with that octavia, it is a heavy car and a 1.4 is only going to drink the juice. You could also look at a 05 1.6 diesel focus, always a solid bet.
    And I must say that I disagree entirely with that poster who referred to corollas as junior infant drawings. They are one of the best cars in the market. I have a 06 1.4diesel and I'd say it will run forever! (touch wood)

I'll test drive a corolla and see if it changes my opinion of them. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

ohdatlewis wrote: »
    The engine would be a problem with that octavia, it is a heavy car and a 1.4 is only going to drink the juice. You could also look at a 05 1.6 diesel focus, always a solid bet.
    And I must say that I disagree entirely with that poster who referred to corollas as junior infant drawings. They are one of the best cars in the market. I have a 06 1.4diesel and I'd say it will run forever! (touch wood)
    What have these two sentences got to do with each other? Absolutely nothing! Just because Toyotas are reliable cars, doesn't make them pretty!!
    OP, you should consider the Civic too, excellent car. Better than the Corolla in many ways, and Honda are one of those elite bunch who beat Toyota regularly in reliability surveys. Petrol Octavias are a bit unimpressive really, the 1.6 is long in the tooth and unrefined. Mazda 3 is a decent car too, well worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Any thoughts on the Opel Astra?

I think ive narrowed it down to the Astra, the Focus or a good ole reliable, but ugly Corolla. :D

I had a Focus when i lived abroad, had no issues with it, just fancied a change, but maybe i should stick to what i know eh. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

i would definetly recommend a Ford Mondeo, that or as everyone else seems to be banging on about the corolla, maybe that!

I hate the look of the Mondeo even more than the Corolla. Loved the old Mondeo style, the 99 one,my husband had one when i met him, but the more recent ones are so boxy and square, they remind me of the old opel records!!
    No amount of reliability would make me touch a Mondeo now.

Yes, looks matter to me too. :p

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/Mazda6/LX/200951196196999/advert?channel=CARS

Just give the 'yotas a miss ;) You know it makes sense

My sister keeps telling me to get a Mazda 6.

Had a BMW 3 series a few years ago, gave me nothing but grief, cost an arm and a leg to repair and drank juice like a beatch! Definitely not going there again.

was the bmw a saloon or coupe? what year?

A 99 saloon, 318, petrol(yeah, FOOL!!):rolleyes:

Looked frikkin great, but had loads of problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I'm biased as I've a SEAT ALTEA its a 05 loads of space in them, and they are far from boring looking.

• Advertisement

Cherrycola wrote: »
    My sister keeps telling me to get a Mazda 6.

Had a BMW 3 series a few years ago, gave me nothing but grief, cost an arm and a leg to repair and drank juice like a beatch! Definitely not going there again.

Everything's relative. If you're currently spending €40/week on petrol @ 40mpg, dropping to 30mpg will cost you €53/week. €13/week is hardly going to affect your quality of life is it, especially in terms of your overall motoring costs. It really only amounts to shuffling deckchairs.

If you want a 'nice' car, you have to ask yourself why other people are prepared to put up with more maintenace. People who can justify the extra maintenance are necessarily fools, are they?

the 99 model you had are 2 generations old at this stage. The 2L coupes from 02 on look great and can be had for very reasonable prices! I find the Mondeo nice to look at, I also drove the old shaped one. Good luck with whatver car you choose anyway! :)

I'm biased as I've a SEAT ALTEA its a 05 loads of space in them, and they are far from boring looking.

Hmmm, never considered a Seat, good car?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭Cars&cars

Renault Megane - look stylish and if you go for a higher spec model like privilege you get a pretty good car for not a lot of money - 5 door hatchback in a nice colour, diesel, 1.6l or more powerful 1.9l and still very economic, good safety rating, not a bad car - €6-7,000.

Advertisement