Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New year, new shoes, new log

• 05-01-2010 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Time to start a new log! The last one got me to DCM in October and a little bit beyond. This one will hopefully get me to, eh, DCM in October and a little bit beyond...:rolleyes: Ok, so where do I start? I'm 38, 5'3 and 10st7 :eek:. Goals for the year are to lose 10+lbs and just get a bit faster. I don't think I'll get a whole lot faster at 38, seeing as I never ran before last February, but there's no harm in trying. I'd like to do 10k in 55mins, 10 miles in 90-95 mins and a half marathon in 2 hrs. Anything around those times would make me happy. I need to lose a few more pounds to help out with the times and, if I'm honest, because my baby brother is getting married in May and I want a fab outfit. (Just typing baby brother is making me laugh, he's 30 and a detective garda, never has someone looked less like a baby brother!)
    The plan is to run 5 times a week, with 1 day crosstraining, a la Hal Higdon's winter plan. Of course the last week, with ice and frost and kids off school, has completely put the mockers on that. Last night I had enough so I ran around my back garden for 15 mins (honestly) and this morning for 20 mins. Not a lot of mileage (2.3 miles!) obviously but it gave me a chance to try out my new shoes. Got my gait analysed in Runways and I'm an overpronator, so got myself a luvly pair of NewBalance 769 stability shoes. Very comfy even while constantly cornering in the garden (it's quite a small garden...). When kiddos go back to school on Thursday, hopefully I'll get out properly but till then it's laps of the garden...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good luck with the new log :)

You'll be surprised with how much you can improve in terms of your speed, even at 38 - from anything I've heard you've still got quite a few years of improvement to come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

racheljev wrote: »
    Last night I had enough so I ran around my back garden for 15 mins (honestly) and this morning for 20 mins. Not a lot of mileage (2.3 miles!) obviously but it gave me a chance to try out my new shoes. Got my gait analysed in Runways and I'm an overpronator, so got myself a luvly pair of NewBalance 769 stability shoes. Very comfy even while constantly cornering in the garden (it's quite a small garden...). When kiddos go back to school on Thursday, hopefully I'll get out properly but till then it's laps of the garden...

Ha ha is your house over looked? Bet your neighbours think your a mad woman:D
    Best of luck with this years goals. We will def meet up at Dublin this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Now, you could organise a race around your back garden and you'd have the local knowledge to win :)

Good luck with the new log. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

6 fabulous glorious miles in 59:15, avg pace 9:53. Finally got out in the daylight, cabin fever banished for one day at least. It was lovely, very cold but fab. The new runners were great, a bit more support than I'm used to and not slippy. Will definitely get out again tomorrow while OH is here. Kids out of school for most of next week so not sure when I'll get out. But today was brill!
    DSC00257.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭traininglog

nice pic,how did you find running in the snow?
    Im going to miss it when its gone:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good luck with the new goals Rachel. Lol at you running round the garden! :D I've similar time goals at the minute except I don't know if I'll go beyond half marathon distance. The weight will drop off you with the all the running. I've got stuck at 9st 11/12 and would like to loose a few more. I've nearly finished all the Christmas biccies now so maybe I'll lose it then:o

5.3 miles in 53:28, avg pace 10:05. Very hard to run in the snow this morning, it was either really thick and deep or mad slushy from the grit on the roads. I ran a different route to yesterday which was a mistake; a lot of today's route was closer to main roads so the paths caught either the grit or the slush the cars were throwing up. Was almost soaked in slush by a bus on the Malahide road, he was driving down the middle of the road cos it was so bad but he was throwing up this mad slush spray. Ended up in someone's garden so I didn't get hit by it... Still, really glad I got out again today, as I'm really not sure how I'll do this coming week. Fingers crossed!

4 miles in 43 minutes. Treacherous conditions. The rain melted all the snow on the top but left all the ice underneath. It was sort of like running on wet cobbles, feet slipping all over the place. Had one big fall at 2.5 milesl, it felt like it happened in slow motion because I had enough time to say to myself, "right I'm falling, better to pitch forward than to fall on my bum" and I did, ended up on my hands and knees (well, actually belly and knees but you get the picture) Anyway, got up (soaking wet of course) and kept going for another 1.5 miles. No more falls but a couple of near misses. Hope my yaktrax come today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hey Rach, just so you know, your shoes are on special offer in Elverys this week - €42.50 :)

Thanks a mill RK, might have to pay a visit tomorrow....

• Advertisement

3.2 miles in 30:13, 9:27 avg pace. Good to get back out this morning. Last week was a total write off after my fall in the slush. Hurt my left arm and leg whatever way I fell, and couldn't really complain about it because I'd already been warned not to go out:o. Then, got a migraine on Wednesday which lasted till Friday/Saturday, so very nice to be back to normal with a 6.30a.m. run today! Will try to get a few miles under my belt before the 5 miler in Raheny on 31 Jan.

4.33 miles in 41:20, avg pace 9:32. Nice and mild this morning, no hat required for the first time in ages. Legs a little bit heavy but felt okay after the first mile. Decided to try and run mile 3 a little bit quicker - it coincided with a nice bit of downhill after a little up and Foo Fighters "best of you" in my ears, so did it in 9:09. I know it's not quick but it is for me! Good run, enjoyed that.

3.44 miles in 32:47, avg pace 9:31. One of those "just get it out of the way" runs. Legs very tired this morning, think I'm still getting used to the new shoes. Bit windy, bit rainy, bit blah...

3.52 miles in 32:11, avg pace 9:09. Grand run, nothing out of the ordinary, just very very cold.

4.42 miles in 42 mins, avg pace 9.32. Dodging bin lorries this morning, seem destined to frighten binmen! Very cold out there...brrr...

3.41 miles in 32:04, avg pace 9:24. Trying not to look at the watch too much, getting too obsessed with keeping avg pace at a particular level. Didn't look for first mile and most of second mile. Think I gauged it ok, only a few secs diff between each split. Would have gone longer but had, ahem, stomach issues so had to get home...

4.2 miles in 40:28, avg pace 9:38. Totally knackered this morning, not much sleep last night and not really sure why. (Actually now I think about it, I know exactly why - I'm going to my 3rd funeral in 3 weeks today and that tends to play on my mind a little bit). Anyway, very tired while running but tried to keep pace up as much as I could. Legs just felt very heavy and chest heaving a bit. Hope I'll be alright for Sunday's 5 mile in Raheny, and please, no more funerals, at least for a few weeks....

44:10 for me today (my time, not chip time, crossed line in 44:51) Absolutely chuffed with that. My last 5 mile was the Adidas one back in July and my time was 49:09, so I've knocked 5 mins off that! Was a bit nervous this morning - I've only done a few races and they were all first thing in the morning with not a lot of time to get nervous. 3o'c just seemed like too long to wait! Got to the start and didn't feel the best. But the Raheny course was really good. First few hundred metres were a bit manic, lots of pushing and shoving but once the road widened out, it was grand. Didn't look at my watch for the first mile and when I saw the mile marker, had a look- 8:48 for first mile:eek: that's the fastest I've ever run. So the pressure was on to keep the avg pace at there or thereabouts. Kept chugging away at the same pace for the whole time, only the last mile was a wee bit slower - went out to 9:01, was just a bit knackered then! Crossed the line and leapt up and down with delight when I saw my time. I'd hoped for somewhere between 45 & 48 mins so really chuffed with sub 45. My gang were there, as usual, supporting me (kids very happy with contents of goody bag, a whole pack of mint Aeros! and classic bars! and wispa!) So all in all, a very good day. Next race, Cupid's dash on Feb 13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Well done:D
    You goodie bag was better than mine:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭TheLargerBowl

Well done Rach :) Great running, and I'm totally jealous of you getting the mint Aeros...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

well done rachel. Great improvement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Wow rachel 5 mins off your PB! Excellent result. Well done:)

3.23 miles in 31:10, avg pace 9:38. Took it handy this morning, wee bit icy around the roads this morning. Actually got a smack of salt and grit thrown from a truck - not fun! Legs a bit stiff after yesterday but felt ok once I warmed up. Now to start upping the mileage again!

4.32 miles in 40:15, avg pace 9:19. Felt dodgy tuesday and wednesday so no running. Still feeling bit dodgy this morning but went out anyway, no ill effects so far. Off to doc to check out general dodginess!

3.65 crappy horrible miles in 35:48. Horrible run. Sore legs, especially shins and calves. Wanted to come home after the first half mile, kept slogging for a bit longer. Legs barely lifting off the ground, shuffling around like an oul' wan. Just crap, completely wojus.

4.77 miles in 44:49, avg pace 9:23. Tried to run slightly faster on each mile this morning - warm up mile 9:45, mile 2 9:27, mile 3 9:13, mile 4 8:58. Apart from that, blah run. Oh and if anybody's seen my mojo, could you send it back to me at rachel@where'smebleedinmojogone. Think I might have left it back at the Raheny 5 last week, haven't seen it since...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Your not alone!! I had a blah week last week, also after the Raheny 5. Not that I'm blaming Raheny. Its hard after the mental and physical intensity of a race to just settle back in to the normality of training again. Stick with it, I'm getting there, so will you.

No running yesterday, had to fast for blood test. Today, 5.23 miles in 49:12, avg pace 9:24. Felt okay but did have to do the "only 10 more mins" bit in my head towards the end, just got knackered. Have to find some energy /mojo soon!!!

Bringing son and friend to training last night, making sure they got in car properly and not looking where I was going - smacked my left knee underneath dashboard. Not even sure how I did it... Leg felt really funny straight away, like I'd banged funny bone. Sore all night even though I iced it. Big frickin' lump just under knee cap that's not getting any smaller or any less painful. Can't even walk properly, let alone run, so no Cupid's dash for me on Saturday morning...:(

• Advertisement

6.5 miles in 1:00:13, avg pace 9:16. Knee felt ok this morning, still bit sore to the touch but swelling gone way down. Went out with the intention of a cautious 3-4 miles but felt good so kept going for a wee bit longer. Happy with that!

Advertisement