Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New year, new shoes, new log

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Thanks folks. Thank God things got better yesterday, blood tests came back clear of infection so no septicaemia. They're still concerned about bleed on knee, think it's all related to warfarin tablets so that all needs to be . For now though, things much better. Anyway, did 4.1 miles this morning in 36:47, avg pace 8:58. Not quite as distracted as yesterday, just tired. Ran mile 3 in 8:40 cos two fellas with mostly empty wine bottle (at 8:15 a.m!) decided to try and keep up with me for a, ahem, chat, so I legged it!

5.03 miles in 45:34, avg pace 9:03. Feel like I'm finally getting a bit faster, more splits under 9 than over. Still frickin' hard though...

I’ve been looking over your last few posts. The speed you are running them at seems to be at your tempo pace. While this is not a bad thing once a week, doing all your runs at that pace is a recipe for injury etc. Ideally per week you want 1 x long run, 1 x tempo (or other speed session), 2 or 3 x easy runs, everything else at recovery pace.

McMillan http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm (God bless him and all who sail in him), based on your run in the MSB 5K, gives the following paces:

Tempo Run – 9:00 to 9:23/mile 5:35 to 5:50/Km

Long Run – 10:24 to 11:24/mile 6:28 to 7:05/Km

Easy Run – 10:24 to 10:54/mile 6:28 to 6:47/Km

Recovery Run – 11:24 to 11:54/mile 7:05 to 7:24/Km

Hope this helps.

4.45 miles in 42:21, avg pace 9:31. Thought I'd listen to MCS's post above and try to not run at my fastest all the time. Because I'm still quite new to the whole running thing, I tend to go out and just run as fast as I feel like and not really pace myself at all. I get a pace in my head and try to keep to it using the Garmin. So this morning, I decided to try and keep to between 9:30 and 9:40, which is about 30 secs slower than I've been running recently. It feels strange slowing myself down but I did it this morning and when I got back to the house, felt likeI could keep going for a while longer if I wanted (or didn't have to get 3 kids up and out for school!) So tomorrow will try tempo run, then easy on Thursday and Friday.

• Advertisement

When i started running way-back-when in the '80's I ran every run like a race, built up the distance only to race distance (10K), ran 7 days a week, and saw only slow progress over a period of 2 to 3 years (went from 60 down to 50 minutes for 10K)

This time around, with a wiser head on my shoulders, tergat in my back pocket, and McMillan on my shoulder, (it's getting crowded out there on my runs:)) I am now seeing real tangible progress just by running more intelligently.

I only wish these resources were around back then.

As tergat says, a simple training schedule works best for the "unfit" runner

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055777077&page=2

Good luck with your training and your goals.

Fast (for me!) run this morning, 4.11 miles in 36:33, avg pace 8:53. Rain and wind to contend with, not a nice morning. Will try easy run tomorrow and Friday, and see if I can fit in long run on Saturday - have to go to Athlone for hen night so not sure how timing is at the min, but will do my best. I've been neglecting the long runs recently because I don't have a particular goal race - my goal has just been to keep running over the winter. Anyway, back to the long runs asap!

8.6 miles in 81:03, avg pace 9:25. No run thursday and friday, circumstances beyond my control! So today was intended lsr. Went out at what felt like a slow pace but was 9:25, which is fairly quick for me. Still felt slow though, tried to slow down a bit more and I was just shuffling along, so kept at 9:25. Splits are all about 1-2 secs either way so it was fairly consistent. Won't be able to run tomorrow so that's it for this week, not great mileage, must improve next week ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Thats great going Rachel. You really are getting fast. No way I could do over 8 miles in anywhere near that time!

4.16 miles in 37:33, avg pace 9:02. Lashing rain this morning so ran quickly to get it over with and get back home! Easy run tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Morning Rachel! Yeah it was a bit of a scunner out there this morning alright :)

I love how smug you're entitled to feel after an early-morning run...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Fair play to you with your early morning runs when the rest of us are only just contemplating the day ahead.

4.63 miles in 44:33, avg pace 9:37. Slower than yesterday but still a bit faster than intended because of this freaky ass weather - snow?? really?? Just too cold to run too slowly. Ran most of the way with one eye closed because the frickin snow kept flying into my eyes. Binmen on Collins Ave nearly crapped themselves laughing at me, out running in this mad weather. It's the end of March! We should have nice spring mornings! I've already done the "running in the dark, cold, rainy, snowy mornings" for this winter. The cherry blossoms are out on the trees, it's spring for crying out loud! Enough! Ok, rant over, 4.63 miles in ok pace. Off for very hot shower and to rant a bit more to OH, God help him...

4.35 miles in 39:46, avg pace 9:08. No snow this morning, praise the Lord, but very blinkin' cold out there, brrrrr. Didn't look at my pace at all, just looked at how many miles I'd done and ran at a pace that felt comfortable. Was a bit surprised to have run fairly fast (for me) - it didn't really feel like that. Splits went down from 9:20 in first mile to 8:59 in mile 4. Think I might start using the hrm again, that might give me better indication of whether I'm pushing a bit harder than I should be all the time.

4.31 miles in 41:00, avg pace 9:30. REALLY didn't want to go out this morning, but dragged my sorry a$$ out of the lovely warm bed and slogged around for a while. One of those "just get the miles done" runs.

I always know all is well in the running world when I come on to boards and see you have already been out and about. I admire your dedication, commitment and sheer lunacy:D.

Keep on trucking:p

10.1 miles in 1:35:14, avg pace 9:25. A lovely lovely run this morning, so nice that it went from an intended 8 miles to 10.1. Just loved it. First time I've donw 10 in ooooh... a long time! Splits all very close to avg as well. Really intended to go out slower and it just didn't feel right. So, I could be wrong but I think my basic pace is slightly faster than I thought which means I could probably do a slightly faster race pace than I thought. Does that make sense? Signed up for the Great Ireland run so that will give me a better idea. Also signed up for the Adidas Race series. Just have to find races now in May and June.
    Edit: Just broke 200 miles on 1000 mile challenge and now 9st13 - first time I've broken 10st in 2 years!! Very happy with my mornings work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Wow well done on all counts! If you weren't such an inspiration for your early morning running heroics I'd be seriously jealous of your pace, your mileage for the year and your sneaking under the 10st marker. :) I refuse to get on the weighing scales at the moment because I know I'll just end up beating myself up about it.

3.6 miles in 34:23, avg pace 9:33. A nice easier than yesterday run, took it fairly handy. 31.16 miles for the week, so mightily chuffed with that. Now excuse me while I head off and strap on my chocolate nosebag for the day... should be back in a day or four... Ah well, at least I was under 10 stone for a small bit of time :P

4.16 miles in 37:44, avg pace 9:04. Decided to go for tempo run today. First mile warmup in 9:28, 2nd mile 9:00, 3rd mile 8:55, 4th mile 8:53. Enjoyed that! Quite windy this morning so felt like I worked a bit more for my times. Only had a little bit of chocolate yesterday - feel like I have to wean myself back on to it... Was afraid that I'd disappear into a choc haze for the week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

racheljev wrote: »
    Just have to find races now in May and June.

There's the Sportsworld 5 mile on May 16th.

4.16 miles in 37:44, avg pace 9:04. Decided to go for tempo run today. First mile warmup in 9:28, 2nd mile 9:00, 3rd mile 8:55, 4th mile 8:53. Enjoyed that! Quite windy this morning so felt like I worked a bit more for my times. Only had a little bit of chocolate yesterday - feel like I have to wean myself back on to it... Was afraid that I'd disappear into a choc haze for the week!

Nice pacing there. Well done. I can empathise about the choc haze, just coming out of one myself:D

4.3 miles in 42:29, avg pace 9:52. Easy run this morning, took it very handy. Wind and rain helped in the overall slowness! Off to help my smallest girl celebrate her 4th birthday, can't believe my baby is 4 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Happy Birthday Rachel's baby :)
    Rachel you're really flying these days. I honesly don't know how you do these early morning all weather runs. Hats off to you!

Took advantage of the OH being off work so went out at 7 a.m. instead of 6, almost a lie in! 4.22 miles in 38:21, avg pace 9:05. Just checked the map from the Garmin and it appears I jumped a 7ft fence, ran through a church and a field and then jumped back over a 7ft fence - think I lost the satellite signal along the way:P Doesn't make much difference, about .1 of a mile so shouldn't really affect the time too much. Anyway, a quick one this morning so an easy one tomorrow is the plan.

it appears I jumped a 7ft fence, ran through a church and a field and then jumped back over a 7ft fence

Puts a whole new slant on going Commando:D;)

4.2 miles in 40:51, avg pace 9:43. Nice easy one this morning, no mad sprints, all splits around or about 9:40 - 9:45, felt like there was loads left in the tank when I got home. Tomorrow will hopefully be LSR day.

10.81 miles in 1:39:51, avg pace 9:14. Really surprised at my pace - went out and ran comfortably for a few miles before i really took note of the speed, just kept running. According to the garmin, I got quicker over the 2nd 5 miles. Still feel like I could have run for longer - really enjoyed that one! Prob won't run in the morning - off out tonight to a 21st, haven't been at one of those in ages, plan on having a good night;) so will wait till tomorrow to decide. If I do, it'll def be an easy run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Great run there rachel, well done

• Advertisement

4.21 miles in 39:14, avg pace 9:19. Strange twinges in my right heel didn't really help this morning. It was a bit sore yesterday but not too much. Hmmmm, not good, Great Ireland run this sunday and don't want to miss it - it was my first ever race when I did it last year and I'm dying to see how far I've come since then. Will wait and see...

Advertisement