Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New year, new shoes, new log

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

6.5 miles in 1:00:51, avg pace 9:21. Very hot this morning, even though I went out just after 7.30. Did my stretches first, then headed out for a little while. I got to 3 miles and felt grand, so kept going for a bit longer. My hip only really started to play up at 6 miles and I had a choice - I could go left and home, or right and on for another bit. I went left and home. Did some more stretches and have a precautionary ice pack on right now. On another note - wore a luminous pink singlet this morning cos it was the only frickin colour I could get. What is the deal with women's clothes and the excessive pinkness? RK already commented on this. Why oh why? All I want is a nice plain vest, no pink, no luminous yellow, just a nice plain dark colour. I felt like a big bloody pink beacon running down Collins ave this morning. Of course it wasn't helped by the fact that my face was bright purple because of the heat - it clashed something rotten with my luverly pink top;) Back to my plain tech top tomorrow I think :rolleyes:

4.1 miles in 38:44, avg pace 9:27. A few miles to loosen legs and check hip feels ok, which it still does. Icepack yesterday helped and still stretching like a mad yoke, so that's helping too. Physio appt tomorrow morning so hopefully she won't beat me up too much. Very warm again this morning. Am I the only person who is wishing the sun would just fiddle off for a little while :eek:

Physio appt this morning, she's very happy with me, yay! She's given me the all clear to start training for DCM, once I keep up the stretches and add in some strengthening exercises she's given me. Soooo... I bit the bullet and I've just registered for October! Woohoo! Hal Higdon Inter program, here I come...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

racheljev wrote: »
    6.5 miles in 1:00:51, avg pace 9:21. Very hot this morning, even though I went out just after 7.30. Did my stretches first, then headed out for a little while. I got to 3 miles and felt grand, so kept going for a bit longer. My hip only really started to play up at 6 miles and I had a choice - I could go left and home, or right and on for another bit. I went left and home. Did some more stretches and have a precautionary ice pack on right now. On another note - wore a luminous pink singlet this morning cos it was the only frickin colour I could get. What is the deal with women's clothes and the excessive pinkness? RK already commented on this. Why oh why? All I want is a nice plain vest, no pink, no luminous yellow, just a nice plain dark colour. I felt like a big bloody pink beacon running down Collins ave this morning. Of course it wasn't helped by the fact that my face was bright purple because of the heat - it clashed something rotten with my luverly pink top;) Back to my plain tech top tomorrow I think :rolleyes:

I am in hysterics at your bright pink top. :D You are so right though, what is the story with womens' sports gear. Do they think we're all 10 or something.
    I was at the Nike outlet shop in Kildare yesterday and I was nearly blinded by the colours in the women's section. I picked up some dry-fit (whatever that means) tops in black and grey and even the lady behind the counter commented on the nice plain colours I picked, she was laughing at the illuminous florescent colours all around!
    Where can one get proper singlets in normal colours? (if possible longer length ones)
    Am reading your log with interest Rachel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I actually saw a nice jade green Nike t-shirt in Champion recently, was tempted but I've got a whole pile of t-shirts from races so I don't see the point in buying more. I saw a few womens singlets in black in Elverys in Suffolk St before too, not sure if they still have any though.

• Advertisement

Right, so here we go with Hal Higdon Inter1. Jumped into week 2, so that means 3 miles this morning, in 27:51, avg pace 9:17. Did my stretches before and strengthening exercises after - have to make sure I keep them going... Following the program should be ok this week, but lsr on Sat and next week might be bit more difficult - we're off down the country for a few days, so will just have to fit in runs wherever I can. Should be back on track by July 12.

Well done on signing up for October. I'm still sitting on the fence. Best of luck with your training.

5 miles in 46:54, avg pace 9:23. Grand run this morning, another warm one. Hip feels ok. It was a bit sore last night, but I think that might be because of the new strengthening exercises. It was fine while I was running and it still feels ok now. I'm still going to give the 5 mile in the Park a go next week, but I'm not holding out much hope for a pb. My 5 mile pb is 44:10, which was in Raheny - a lovely flat course! My time last year for the 5 miles was 49:?? so I reckon if I can come in between 44 & 48, I'll be happy enough. Then I can focus on a crackin' 10 mile instead:p
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done on signing up for October. I'm still sitting on the fence. Best of luck with your training.
    Come on jcsmum, join the madness!

3.2 miles in 29.50, avg pace 9.20. Nice and rainy this morning, good bit cooler. Warmed up for first mile, speeded up for second - 9.02, then slowed down little bit for last mile. Grand session. Stretches and exercises all done. Kids on school hols now so will be refereeing rows all day and getting used to hearing 'we're bored' for next two months... Off to Mayo tomorrow for hols

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Off to Mayo tomorrow for hols

Hey you could have come and raced with me last night if you were a day earlier:D Are you still in Mayo next Wed? Good to see you back to normal.

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    Hey you could have come and raced with me last night if you were a day earlier:D Are you still in Mayo next Wed? [\QUOTE]

yes we're staying till Friday in house on Mount Falcon grounds, it's between Ballina and Foxford apparently. Looking forward to getting away!

There's a 5k down the road from you in Swinford next Wednesday evening www.mayoac.com though it might be the last thing you'd want to do on your holidays!

3.62 miles in 35:11. Ran on trails around hotel grounds. Should have been longer run but I never realised how hard trails are on the legs, legs like jelly after that! Might try and get out again later on, will see how the day goes. There's a lovely leisure centre with pool so will def head up for a bit of cross training later.

Quick update while I'm somewhere with wifi... 3.6 miles yesterday and 30 mins swim yesterday and today. Also did a sort of crosstraining today - brought the kids out on a lake in Westport House on a pedalo. Jeez it's hard to get them things going... Hoping for 3ish miles tomorrow, and maybe the 5k in Swinford on Wed, have to see if I can get a pass from
    OH and the kids:p

3.5 miles in 33:06, avg pace 9:28. Ran around the hotel trails again, getting a bit more used to running on stone. - still quite hard though. Hip playing up a bit, could be because of the twists and turns. Off for some stretching and some ice I think...

In the car on the way back from the 5k race in Swinford. 26:43, avg pace 5:19, delighted with that. Met up with Littlebug beforehand, which was great, lovely to meet a friendly face to soothe the nerves. Nice course, not too bad - but jeez, the wind just after halfway was a killer. Pace went from 5:13 to 5:29! But still, great run, and a time I'm happy with!
    Edit: just checked my prev 5k time - 26:33, so only a few secs slower tonight on a harder course, happy days!

Lovely to meet you Rachel. great running by you. You flew past me early on and just disappeared off into the distance! I really enjoyed that run. You missed the tea and biccies after!

3.4 miles yesterday and 4.5 today in 41.56. In Athy since yesterday, a friend of ours is 40 so we're all away for the weekend. Drove over from Ballina yesterday, heading home tomorrow. Hope to get back onto the HH inter program next week, not getting much mileage in on holidays :rolleyes:

Right, back from my hols now. One load of washing done, more to do (oh the joys of it...) Anyway, it's time to give myself a very stern talking to. My HH inter plan has gone to pot over the past few weeks, I've done nowhere near the mileage needed. Now, I know I've had the hip problem and I found it hard to get the runs in on holidays, but no more excuses. I reckon I've put on 5-6 lbs over the last 10 days so that's going to be disappearing very frickin' quickly. Appt with physio tomorrow morning to see how the hip is - it's feeling okay at the minute, no ill effects from the 5k on Wed, even though it was ages afterwards by the time I actually got my stretches done. Adidas race series 5 mile is this Saturday and I reckon I haven't a hope of a reasonable time - I'm not in great shape and my Aunt's 60th birthday party is the night before... But I'll do it anyway and see how it goes. So - back on the lowfat super milk tomorrow, no more cakes after dinner, no (or not very much;)) chocs or sweets, proper mileage this week and hopefully there'll be a little less junk in my trunk shortly...

3.14 miles in 27:04. Garmin got very confused this morning - fell asleep in Mayo, woke up in Athy, fell asleep again and woke up in Drumcondra. Is it any wonder the signal disappeared??:rolleyes: Anyway, ran for what I thought was about a 3 mile run, mapmyrun'd it and it was 3.14 - close enough. Back at the physio yesterday - she's happy with me and doesn't want to see me for a while, once I keep up the stretches and exercises. 6 miles tomorrow.

• Advertisement

6.2 miles in 58:17, avg pace 9:24. Lovely rain for the first 3 or so miles - lots of funny looks from people with raincoats and umbrellas! Nice steady pace most of the way, increased pace a little bit on miles 3 & 4. One of those runs that felt like it could have gone on for ages, really enjoyed it. But Hal said 6, so 6.2 it was :)

3.3 miles in 30:41, avg pace 9:18. Bit sore this morning - spent yesterday lugging bags up and down stairs cos we're doing up the girls room. New bunk beds arriving from IKEA today so had to clean out all the sh**e that the girls have accumulated in their 7 and 4 year old lives - you wouldn't believe it. Anyway, up and down stairs with rubbish bags, old toys, etc etc was a cross training day I wasn't really expecting. So calves and ankles bit stiff this morning. The plan for today is to help OH take old beds apart and put new beds together without giving myself some mad injury that upsets Saturday's race...:rolleyes:

42:45 (chip time), course was short I think, proper report from laptop in a while!
    Right, at the laptop now. I honestly didn't think this race would go as well as it did. I was out last night at my aunt's birthday party, it was a late night, I was wearing high heels and dancing like a mad yoke. So we got home late enough and I was knackered, with very sore feet.... Anyway, alarm went off early so I got up, had my porridge and got myself together. Headed up to the park, got parking nice and easy, and headed over for my usual toilet trip! Met Rainbow Kirby on the main road, then spoke to Racoon Queen for a few minutes, all in good form. Started in the middle of the second wave, I thought that would be best. But as usual, started too far back and spent the first mile overtaking people. Mile 1 was 8:59, still fairly quick for me. Got a little bit faster then, mile 2 8:43, mile 3 8:42, mile 4 8:50. The first mile marker was about .11 short by my watch, the rest seemed okay. Last (0.88 of a) mile was 8:26. So finish time by the watch was 42:43, chip was 42:45. Disappointed with the short course, and I know it's not because of short cuts because I just don't take them, I'm a stick-to-the-road kinda gal. Worked out what my time should have been and it would have been around 43:40. I was aiming for sub45, with a secret wish for sub 44, so i would have got that. My last 5 mile was the Raheny 5 which I did in 44:10, so def faster than that. Did this race last year is 49:09 so much better than that. Will take the good out of the day and leave it at that. Pity I can't claim a crackin' (for me) pb though...

10.7 miles in 1:45:12, avg pace 9:49. Hal said 11 miles but I got to my house at 10.7 and wasn't arsed about the last little bit. Made sure to slow myself down this morning, was still buzzing a bit from yesterday so it was hard. Kept saying to myself, slower slower. So my splits are all between 9:43 and 9:56, which is ok - should prob be a bit slower though for lsr. Anyway grand run, up nice and early in my fancy new 5 mile (4.88) tshirt from yesterday - tres chic... Didn't have to stop once - slowed down for a traffic light but no pausing. And no walking either, I think that's the longest I've run straight with no pauses or walking. So that makes 28.2 miles for this week - Hal wanted 29 so I'm happy enough.:)
    Edit: and I've broken 500 miles on 1000 mile challenge, woohoo!

3.9 miles in 36:10, avg pace 9:17. Hal said 3 miles for this morning, which I had every intention of doing. But I took a wrong turn :o and had to turn back the way I came, hence the extra .9 miles... Handy run, nothing to report. Think I need new runners though, the pair I had on this morning don't feel great. I think there's about 300-350 miles on them so maybe it's time for a new pair. The second pair still have a good bit of life in them though. Off to scour the internet!

6.2 miles in 59:04, avg pace 9:31. Ok run this morning, v tired so legs sluggish. A little bit of glorious rain for the last mile or so. Discovered a new running hazard as well - drivers that reverse out of their driveways without looking in their rear view mirror at the runner who has had to leap into the road to get away from them. Drivers who then proceed to roar "Watch where you're f***in' goin', ya f***in' eejit" at me. Do I need to point out to him that I was on the PATH??:mad: Don't think I'll run that way for a while...

Couldn't run yesterday because OH was away, so did 3 miles this morning in 28:18, avg pace 9:26. Steady enough, as usual though middle mile bit quicker than other two. Definitely need new runners, pair 1 not great today. But having problem finding right size New Balance 769, thinking about the 760's, will head into town and have a look next week. 12 miles planned for tomorrow, hope I'm able for it:(

12.1 miles in 1:54:50, avg pace 9:29. Fab run this morning, a bit cooler than the past few days, a little bit of rain, all good! First run where I brought some jelly babies with me to try out. Had one at 3, 6 and 9 miles without too much problems. Last year, I used to walk while I ate one. Kept running this time without too much trauma. Think they helped a bit, didn't feel as knackered as last week. Then again, it could be all in my head! Off for a swim with the kids now, after I enjoy my chocolate milk, banana and hip ice pack. Boy, do I feel smug - not even 9.30 and I've my lsr done, tee hee....:D

Well done and great running! And all before 9.30am!
    Lovely way to start the day :)

• Advertisement

6.25 miles in 1:00:24, avg pace 9:39. Nice easy miles after yesterday's 12 miles. My legs felt very tired and a bit sore this morning so started with a 9:58 mile, but despite my best intentions, I got a little bit faster on the way around. I added in two hills that I hadn't done in a while (my definition of hills that is, so most people probably think they're bumps in the road;)) Each one is about half a mile so it's a decent enough climb for me. So, that's week 5 of HH inter plan completed. He wanted 30 miles, I gave him 31.44 - happy days!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You're flying now Rachel. Keep it up.

Norman is nice and settled btw, I'm think I'll but him a yellow friend next time I'm in Leeds and name him Big Jack. :D

wow you ran over 12 miles at sub 9.30 min miles :eek: You're absolutely flying these days. What are you aiming for in DCM?

littlebug wrote: »
    wow you ran over 12 miles at sub 9.30 min miles :eek: You're absolutely flying these days. What are you aiming for in DCM?

Yes I did, but (and that's a very big but) I should have been running slower for the lsr. It was around this time last year that my training log started to show very large holes where my lsr's should have been - I had dodgy shins, sore ankles, dose of flu, etc etc and August and September were not what they should have been. Hopefully I won't get sick or pick up an injury and if all goes well and I get my lsr's in and the god of running doesn't take a dislike to me, I'd be looking at 4:00 - 4:15. But there are lots of things that might happen so if I get under 4:30, I should be happy...

3.3 miles in 31:03, avg pace 9:24. Nothing to report, 3.3 very straightforward miles. This is a stepback week, so only 5 tomorrow. Will prob attempt to do Thursday's 3 as a tempo run, haven't done one of those for a while. On another topic, brought the kids to see Toy Story 3 yesterday - it was brilliant, a great film, and I bawled my eyes out for the last 20 mins :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Wow like littlebug said you're a superstar these days!!

• Advertisement

5.1 miles in 47:04, avg pace 9:13. Felt good this morning (except for my shoes, which really need a change - new ones currently on the way, hopefully). First mile 9:25, then saw someone up ahead. I knew I wasn't going to catch them but I didn't want to lose more distance so I picked up pace to keep same distance or less between us - second mile 8:56:eek:. Dialled it back a bit then - 9:10, 9:13 and 9:21 (this mile had a short steep hill which slowed me down). Off now to watch Olive Loughnane hopefully win a medal:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hi Rachel

Just catching up on your thread after my holiday. You're doing so well. You must be feeling great.

I'm thinking about the early morning runs. I'm sure you've been asked this loads before but what do you do about food? Do you just go straight for run with no breakfast?

Yep, no brekkie, up and out the door as quick as I can - well after a couple of quick stretches. I brought a few jelly babies on Saturday's long run and I'll do that from now on. I just find it easier to get the run out of the way -
    with 3 kids on hols, I don't get time otherwise and I'm usually knackered by the time OH gets home from work. I have something small - banana or cereal bar - as soon as I get home and then proper brekkie later.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Hi Racheljev, best of luck with Marathon training, you are flying.

Yep, no brekkie, up and out the door as quick as I can - well after a couple of quick stretches. I brought a few jelly babies on Saturday's long run and I'll do that from now on. I just find it easier to get the run out of the way -
    with 3 kids on hols, I don't get time otherwise and I'm usually knackered by the time OH gets home from work. I have something small - banana or cereal bar - as soon as I get home and then proper brekkie later.

Wow you sound like wonder woman to me!! :)

I went out this morning and it was really nice temperature wise but I'd had a yogurt an hour before. I'm jet lagged so I'm awake anyway. It would definitely make life easier if I had the option to get some of the runs out of the way when life gets busy! Thanks for reply!

• Advertisement

3 miles in 26:25, avg pace 8:48. Got my new runners yesterday so decided to give them a spin this morning. I'd already decided to try this one with a few fast (for me) bits. First mile 9:13. Then did 4 x 160m as fast as I could, followed by 240m recovery - mile 2 8:14. Mile 3 was "get home cos I'm knackered" with 1 x 160m fast - 8:58. I used a route I use a lot, which is Griffith Avenue and Home farm Road, which are parallel, and the side roads in between them - one road is slightly uphill, the next road is slightly downhill etc. So at least one of the fast bits had an uphill bit in it. (this only really makes sense if you know that part of North Dublin!)
    Anyway, very happy with that session, and lurve my new springy shoes:D

Nice one - what shoes did you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Wow - you are really picking up the pace these days. Flying it.

Nice one - what shoes did you get?
    New Balance 760st. They're very comfy, they're the next generation of the 769 which I'd been wearing since January. I was a bit worried in case it'd be a case of "new design, crap shoe" but they felt really good this morning and my legs feel ok now. Of course, they're so new and shiny they look slightly glow in the dark but I'll soon muck them up ;)

Cool, I actually had one of the older versions of that shoe a couple of years ago as my first proper pair of running shoes (and killed them less than 200 miles later because I was so fat at the time). I love when the new version of a shoe fits just as nice as the older version, still glowering at Asics for mucking up the Kayano with the 16. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Is the kayano 16 not as good? :( I am still in a pair of 15's and used 14's before that. I love them.

They just didn't feel right on me at all when I tried them on, felt like something was pulling across my foot from the little toe. Was seriously gutted, because I loved the 15s. I'm rotating between a pair of Brooks Adrenaline 10 and a pair of Nike Lunarglides at the moment.

I just bought a new pair of Kayano 16 today but they're my second pair of 16 and the last pair were great. Hopefully these will get me through to 2011. I go through runners in 6-7 months. Is that normal?

At the sort of mileage you're doing, it would be. As you increase mileage, you may find you go through them more often.

At the sort of mileage you're doing, it would be. As you increase mileage, you may find you go through them more often.

Expensive! But I guess they're worth the investment otherwise I'd be paying a physio the same amount in two/three sessions!

• Advertisement
Advertisement