Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New year, new shoes, new log

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

10.1 miles in 1:34:37, avg pace 9:22. Yet again, too fast for an lsr and honestly, I really tried to slow down. Must do better next week for the 14 miles. Anyway, apart from being too fast it was fine. Brought my jelly babies again and had one at 3 miles and one at 6 miles, I think they helped. Thought Hal wanted 10, but when I got home, I realised he only wanted 9 so I'm one up:) Saw a few runners this morning, and we were all very polite and said good morning to each other - bet I looked like a noob in my bright pink top and shiny white runners. I wanted to stop them and tell them "Honest, I run all the time!" Anyway, lsr done, 6 miles tomorrow.

On another note, I had my first DCM dream last night - and it's 12 weeks away! I dreamt that we all stopped running the marathon at night time and we had to get back to the stop point to start again in the morning. But I missed my start because I was going to the toilet and buying a bottle of water for 7 euro:eek: so I had to start behind everyone else and I got really annoyed. Then I was trying to catch a couple who were walking and I just couldn't catch them - because I had no shoes on... The madness starts now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

racheljev wrote: »

On another note, I had my first DCM dream last night - and it's 12 weeks away! I dreamt that we all stopped running the marathon at night time and we had to get back to the stop point to start again in the morning. But I missed my start because I was going to the toilet and buying a bottle of water for 7 euro:eek: so I had to start behind everyone else and I got really annoyed. Then I was trying to catch a couple who were walking and I just couldn't catch them - because I had no shoes on... The madness starts now...

lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

10.1 miles in 1:34:37, avg pace 9:22. Yet again, too fast for an lsr and honestly, I really tried to slow down. Must do better next week for the 14 miles. Anyway, apart from being too fast it was fine. Brought my jelly babies again and had one at 3 miles and one at 6 miles, I think they helped. Thought Hal wanted 10, but when I got home, I realised he only wanted 9 so I'm one up:) Saw a few runners this morning, and we were all very polite and said good morning to each other - bet I looked like a noob in my bright pink top and shiny white runners. I wanted to stop them and tell them "Honest, I run all the time!" Anyway, lsr done, 6 miles tomorrow.

Wow, that IS a fast pace for 10 miles and I thought I was bad! Fantastic running though. It is hard to slow down though!

As for your dream..... too funny! Thankfully I've yet to dream anything crazy about the marathon, but running seems to be the last thing I think about at night when drifting off! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

jcsmum wrote: »
    It is hard to slow down though!

I so wish I had that problem :(:p

Great run and hilarious dream Rachel. I look forward to the next installment :D

1st August - wow, time is flying... 6 miles in 55:42, avg pace 9:17. Schedule wanted 6 miles at pace. Still not really sure what my proper pace is, so just went a bit quicker than yesterday - 2 miles were under 9:10. Schedule for this week was 26, as it was step back. I did 27.5. Next week mileage starts going up, hope all goes well.

4.1 miles in 37:47, avg pace 9:13. Week 7 of HH inter plan - mileage increasing this week. Bit nervous about it - from around this time last year, had various aches, pains and ailments which affected the miles I should have been running. Fingers and toes crossed that this time I get the mileage done. Anyway, 4.1 miles, felt nice and easy, no real problems. Did my usual mile 1 warm up, slight speed up for the middle two miles, (both were 9:05) then slight slow down for the last mile. Nice bit of drizzle as well to cool me down. 7 miles tomorrow...

7 miles in 1:05:45, avg pace 9:23. First of the slightly longer mid week runs. In my head, I keep ticking off the miles or parts of them as percentages. So, 1.4 miles was already 20% - I know, I know, it's a little bit mad but it helps me. While I'm working out percentages, the yards are passing and quickly becoming miles. Sometimes it freaks me out if I think to myself "right, have to get 7 or 8 or 9 or whatever done" so instead I say, 10% done, 20% done etc. Whatever gets ya through it, eh? 4 miles tomorrow - depending on how legs feel, might do a few intervals like last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

wow, I don't know if I could do 7 miles first thing in the morning. I'll be doing 5 from next month, and I'm not looking forward to it at all

7 miles in 1:05:45, avg pace 9:23. First of the slightly longer mid week runs. In my head, I keep ticking off the miles or parts of them as percentages. So, 1.4 miles was already 20% - I know, I know, it's a little bit mad but it helps me. While I'm working out percentages, the yards are passing and quickly becoming miles. Sometimes it freaks me out if I think to myself "right, have to get 7 or 8 or 9 or whatever done" so instead I say, 10% done, 20% done etc. Whatever gets ya through it, eh? 4 miles tomorrow - depending on how legs feel, might do a few intervals like last week.

I like that take on things. Good tip. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I do the same thing, particularly during races for a distraction (working out 30% of 13.11 miles isn't that easy on the go!). As you say, it takes some of the sense of being overwhelmed out of a distance and makes it much more manageable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Wow rachel you are FLYING these days, deffo the One to Watch for DCM 2010. What's your secret, o guru?

My secret? Eh.... I wish! Get up, get out and get back asap, that's about as far as it goes... Seriously though, I don't think I'm flying. I'm doing ok for now, but like I said a while ago, this could all go wrong very quickly. And seeing as I'm typing this with my foot on an icepack because I've had a sore instep for the last few days, I'm not taking anything for granted - each mile as it comes, that's my motto :) Anyway, 4.05 miles in 37:35, avg pace 9:18. Very bad night's sleep last night and aforementioned sore instep meant I had very little in the tank this morning for a possible interval run. So I just went out and followed my normal 4 mile-bit-of-a-hill route while doing a "praise be the kids are on hols cos I'm getting into bed as soon as I get home" run. Avg pace of 9:18 meant I kept the pace up a little bit even while I was doing my mini hills. Rest day tomorrow, yay:)

14.1 miles in 2:14:08, avg pace 9:30. Phew, glad that's over. For some reason, this week I'd built up 14 miles as this huge hurdle to climb over. I spent ages yesterday on Maymyrun working out which way to run so I wouldn't get too bored. I didn't sleep very well last night because it was on my mind. I don't know why, but this was the big one for me so far. Anyway, headed out just after 7 and the first mile was 9:10 - slow the hell down, Rachel. Slowed down from then on and all the miles were between 9:20 & 9:40. I brought some jelly babies with me but my stomach wasn't great from about 6 miles - I was very close to my MIL's house and was very tempted to drop in and use the facilities! I knew though it'd be too hard to get started again so I kept going. I kept ticking the percentages off in my head till I got to 10 miles, then I counted down - 3 miles to go, 2 miles etc etc. I stopped twice during the whole run - once to cross at traffic lights, and once to give someone directions, but I kept bouncing on the spot like an eejit the whole time. Got home and I'm really happy with myself - today was as much about beating my head as putting miles in the legs. I didn't walk and I didn't stop, except for as above. My 14.1 mile time is 1 minute exactly slower than my half marathon time from last year, so that's good:) All in all, a very happy bunny (with a slightly dodgy belly;))

7.06 miles in 1:07:37, avg pace 9:35. Much harder run than yesterday. Even though it was half the distance, it felt twice as difficult. Maybe it's because, with yesterday's dodgy tum, I've nothing left inside me. Maybe it's because yesterday was 14 miles. Maybe there's no reason - it was just a hard run! Anyway, it's done, 36.3 miles for the week, schedule said 36. Week 8 here I come :D

4.45 miles in 42:00, avg pace 9:26. Should have been 4 miles but I added a little bit by accident. I have these little "extra" bits of road that I add into runs every now and again - 1/4 mile here, 1/2 mile there - and it's my way of fooling myself into running a little bit more. Like this morning - it's 0.61 miles to Whitehall Garda Station from my house. But if I run up the road, across the road and down the road it becomes 1.2 miles instead, ah ha! So in my head, I've only done a bit cos I'm at my first landmark, but I'm already ahead on mileage. My map afterwards looks like a frilly bit on a dress with all the ups and downs and ins and outs ;). Anyway, long story short, I did 3 of these extras instead of 2, so 4.45 instead of 4. Phew, I'm more knackered by the explanation than the run....:)

• Advertisement

7 miles in 1:08:18, avg pace 9:45. Very very slow this morning, left leg giving me a bit of trouble. It felt a bit tender last night, thought it was just muscle soreness. Didn't feel right this morning, but just to make it worse, I jarred it coming down off a path - literally saw stars as I felt pain from my toes to my hip. Kept going because I was a while away from home, and the pain eased after a while. Quite painful now, icepack on it now. Anti inflams and more ice for today, I think. Will worry about tomorrow's 4 mile tomorrow, fingers crossed all will be okay for next week's 10 mile in the park...

15 miles in 2:23, avg pace 9:33. Didn't run on thursday - left leg still sore from Wednesday (ice, rest and anti inflams helped) and no sleep on Wed night cos 4 yr old had bad dreams and 10 yr old was puking:eek:. Anyway rest on Thurs and Fri meant I was buzzing this morning to get out. Hit the road just after 7 and started with a 6ish mile loop from my house - decided on a loop because if my leg felt bad, I could get home quicker. The only problem with doing a loop was that I was running up the road I normally run home so my body was mightily confused when I kept on running... Head went down for a few mins, then I realised I was actually almost half way through the 15 and the head went back up. My splits were all between 9:20 and 9:45 - again, happy with that. Last mile was tough because it was pretty much all uphill, but I'm home and my 15 mile lsr is done. Woohoo! 7 tomorrow and then stepback week next week - perfect for adidas 10 mile next Saturday.:)

Well done Rachel, great running! Am sitting here in pyjamas willing myself to get dressed and get out on the road......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm in exactly the same mode, in my PJs trying to boot my fat ass out the door for a run. Still sleepy, even after coffee.

GET UP!! GET UP!! GET OUT!! WIPE THIS SMUG SMILE OFF MY FACE!!:D Come on, you know you want to!
    (na na na na na, I've got my run done, na na na na na) tee hee

• Advertisement

Tee hee!!! :D
    Okay I'm only about 10 hours behind you, but I did it, all 6 miles. Phew!

7.25 miles in 1:08:53, avg pace 9:30. Tired, tired, tired. Did I mention I'm tired? Stomach acting up big style at the minute, so I don't feel like I'm getting my vitamins and minerals - time to go back to doc for b12 injections maybe :(. Anyway, legs a bit sore from yesterday - left knee in particular sore, icing as I speak/type. Thought I'd do 5 or 6, but went a bit further at the start and a bit more at the end so went over the 7. 33.7 miles for the week - schedule said 36, but missed Thurs run with sore calf muscle. Not bad though. And I think it means I've broken 600 on the 1000 mile challenge. Yay!:)
    Edit: yes I have indeed broken 600, 629.2 to be precise, yay again!:)

4 miles in 35:50, avg pace 8:57. Sort of a tempo run, 1st mile warmup of 9:29, then 9:00, 8:43, 8:37. Felt like I could've gone a bit faster for a bit longer but didn't want to push it too much. Nice bit of drizzle as well, lovely :) This is a stepback week on HH inter plan, so 'only' 5 miles tomorrow - week 9, almost half way through :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Just catching up on your thread. You're going great at the moment, fair play and well done on cracking 600. Enjoy the stepback week!

5.25 miles in 49:18, avg pace 9:23. Blah run, felt ok but left leg ominously sore again. Ice, ice and more ice. May or may not run tomorrow, depending on leg - want to be ok for Saturday. Will see how today goes.

Well, how was that for you? After Wed's run, my leg was quite sore so iced on Wed and Thurs, and left off Thurs run. So by this morning, I had fizzy feet but I was v v nervous. Met up with loads of boardies this morning - Menoscemo, OI, Blueskye, RQ, Robinph, Xebec, RK, Cinguetti - loadsa people! Started in the 2nd pen with Meno, OI and RK. I honestly didn't think I could hit sub 90 but I thought I'd hang on with them as long as I could. First few miles were okay, but I found it terribly hot. I'm really not used to running in that heat and the sun was beating down. Waved Meno and OI off into the sunset at that point, just couldn't get back to them. Got through the first 5 in just under 45 mins. Then it was back onto Chesterfield Ave and onto the hills. Jeez, I nearly dropped...but I kept going. Didn't walk, just plodded up the hills. Miles 7,8,9 were 9:15, 9:25 and 9:40:eek: Pulled it back a little with mile 10 - 8:55. I measured the course at 10.08 miles and that .08 cost me 39 secs. Final time 1:31:31. Not quite sub 90 unfortunately. But, all in all, I'm pretty happy. When I did this race last year, I had a dodgy tum and the two laps nearly killed me - I finished in 1:45. So I knocked off 14 mins in a year. And the tshirt isn't too bad;) Happy days.

A whole 14 mins is fantastic well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Saw it on FB there - congrats! Fantastic PB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Congrats Rachel. Well done! And lovely to meet you this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well, how was that for you? After Wed's run, my leg was quite sore so iced on Wed and Thurs, and left off Thurs run. So by this morning, I had fizzy feet but I was v v nervous. Met up with loads of boardies this morning - Menoscemo, OI, Blueskye, RQ, Robinph, Xebec, RK, Cinguetti - loadsa people! Started in the 2nd pen with Meno, OI and RK. I honestly didn't think I could hit sub 90 but I thought I'd hang on with them as long as I could. First few miles were okay, but I found it terribly hot. I'm really not used to running in that heat and the sun was beating down. Waved Meno and OI off into the sunset at that point, just couldn't get back to them. Got through the first 5 in just under 45 mins. Then it was back onto Chesterfield Ave and onto the hills. Jeez, I nearly dropped...but I kept going. Didn't walk, just plodded up the hills. Miles 7,8,9 were 9:15, 9:25 and 9:40:eek: Pulled it back a little with mile 10 - 8:55. I measured the course at 10.08 miles and that .08 cost me 39 secs. Final time 1:31:31. Not quite sub 90 unfortunately. But, all in all, I'm pretty happy. When I did this race last year, I had a dodgy tum and the two laps nearly killed me - I finished in 1:45. So I knocked off 14 mins in a year. And the tshirt isn't too bad;) Happy days.

sorry rachel, I really wanted to go back and look for you, but OI reminded me of my 1:30 pacer duties. at least you got got close to a PB, you can follow for the half marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

menoscemo wrote: »
    sorry rachel, I really wanted to go back and look for you, but OI reminded me of my 1:30 pacer duties. at least you got got close to a PB, you can follow for the half marathon.

Ah yeah, blame me, I would have quite happily gone it alone :p

It was a great finish from you today Racheljev, especially considering the heat. That's some pb. We hung around the finish line but we must have missed you. Great run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Can't bveliveve we missed you. Me and OI stayed back for 10 minutes waiting for you. It broke my heart letting you go at 5 but there was no choice. Hope you can stay with us for the half, just train harder and you can do it!!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Can't bveliveve we missed you. Me and OI stayed back for 10 minutes waiting for you. It broke my heart letting you go at 5 but there was no choice. Hope you can stay with us for the half, just train harder and you can do it!!
    Ah no worries Meno, thanks for pulling me to 5! I said at the start I'd hang on for as long as I could - when we came back onto Chesterfield Ave I felt as if I'd been smacked in the face with something. The heat killed me. I knew I could catch you if I ran a bit harder - I could see you just in front of me for ages - but I knew it'd kill me for the hills so I didn't push it. Must have just missed you at the end cos I found RQ, Cinguetti and Xebec, so prob only missed you by couple of minutes. I'll be on your tail for the half!

Anyway today: 7 miles in 1:08:09, avg pace 9:44. Sorta easy miles this morning - Hal wanted 7 at pace but tbh Hal, don't push your luck, you're lucky you got anything at all ;) Left leg really really sore now, hopefully it's just from yesterday and nothing more serious. Lots of ice and voltarol methinks... Off now to watch a special showing of "Diary of a wimpy kid" in the Savoy - a cinema full of 10 year old boys, laughing at snot jokes, Jeez what a life I lead:D

8.1 miles in 1:19:04, avg pace 9:45. Slow, slow, slow this morning. Left leg sore since Sunday (calf/shin pain) so took Tues as extra rest day to see if it helped - although rest day consisted of walking around Dublin Zoo with the babas for 3.5 hours... Anyway, went out this morning and leg felt ok for first 2 miles or so. And then it started to get sore. And it's still sore now. Kept going because I'd gone out 3.5 miles and it was going to be 3.5 miles home at least. I don't really want to give in to this, I feel like I might be able to run through it so I'll ice and rest today, and see how it feels in the morning. Tomorrow should be 4 miles so I'll decide then. Saturday though should be 17 - not really sure what's going to happen...:(

4.7 miles in 42.42, avg pace 9:04. Tried a few tempo miles - 9:05, 9:03, 9:01 - just to see if leg felt ok. Kept going okay while I was running, but jeez it's sore now. Ice again today and compression bandage I think :(

Oh dear! Hope it improves soon...Hal is being quite demanding these days, isn't he?

:( Very bad day. Just under 3 miles done and leg so bad that I had to get a taxi home. Had decided to do a 4 mile loop so that I'd be close to home if I needed to get back. Started to walk but I knew I wouldn't make it so hailed a taxi to take me the last bit home. And he was the nicest taxi driver in the world. When I got into the car, he said, "ah now love don't cry, I'll only get upset as well" and then he wouldn't even charge me - told me I needed a bit of luck. So of course, now I'm bawling. My leg is up on the chair with ice on it, I got 3 miles out of a planned 17 done and I'm bawling.... Great start to the weekend eh? Going to take the next week off and head to the doc/physio as well. 57 days to DCM, feeling very disheartened. In a very bad way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

oh no, sorry to hear it. With the amount of training you have done you can easily afford to drop a week or to if necessary, so I hope that's enough to see you back on your feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Oh Rachel really sorry to hear that :( I hope it works out for the best and is nothing too serious.

• Advertisement

Noooo! Hang on in there though!

Ah no, how disappointing. Hopefully a trip to the physio will at least give you an idea what the problem is and then you can sort it out. Plenty of time left before DCM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Very sorry to hear that :( *hugs*

Thanks folks, just feeling sorry for myself a bit! Having to stand at the side of a gaa pitch for almost 2 hours hasn't really helped either. Made physio appt for Monday so should have better idea by then. Littlebug, I looked up that active stuff and there's a guy who does it on the other side of Dublin, so I might give him a call once I see how Monday goes. So today is wallow and feel sorry for myself, positive thinking from tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

So sorry to hear that rachel, hope you get good news at the physio. Im not sure if you remember but last year I got injured mid september and couldnt run for 10 days, missed an 18 miler and all. I was so upset- cried and freaked out a lot!! But it was fine in the end and I bet it will be the same for you. You have put in plenty of hard work, you still have plenty time to recover and carry on with your training. Dont worry!

Ah Rachel, so sorry to hear of your injury. Hope you feel better soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Fingers crossed for you rachel! Hope the physio can sort you out.

Went to physio earlier today. She reckons problem is not stress fracture (hallelujah!) because I can bear weight on the leg without too much difficulty. She thinks the problem is incredibly tight lower leg muscles which are causing strains. No running for at least 1 week and then I can see how I feel. She's given me stretching exercises to do, and told me to rub my calf with a tennis ball (which hurts like the bejeezus, but it has to be done). I've to go back to her on Thursday for a follow up. She's also forbidden me from using the interweb to look up "shin pain", "stress fractures" and anything else related to leg injury:o I had myself wound up to 90 going to see her today. I was convinced that DCM was a total goner, and I was like a looper this morning. My poor OH was praying it was okay because he knew what I would have been like if it wasn't. So anyway, happy enough with the morning, not writing off DCM yet. I'm already 2 long runs ahead of where I was last year so a week or so hopefully won't knock my training too much. I may have to skip the half in Sept but I'm not worried about that.:)

Great news.

Back at physio this morning. She's fairly happy with progress so far. Calf still knotted but not as badly as last week - my work with stretching and the tennis ball is paying off :) She still massaged the bejeezus out of my leg for half an hour though... She wants me to get orthotics because she thinks my calf problems are related to arch problems, so orthotics ordered and on the way. No running till after next Thurs appt, but I can do some light walking (whatever that is) and swimming - off to the pool tomorrow. She said she'll do her best to get me up and moving asap so that my training won't fall too far behind... fingers crossed.

How's it going out there Mrs?

• Advertisement
Advertisement